Tire pump advice

Pedro

I want a tiny tire pump to carry on the bike, to use only for flats instead of frequent use.

It has to have clamps to be powered straight from the battery, and small trumps pretty and well finished.

Any recommendations on something you can rely on? 

I've been looking for one for a while, I had a Clarke one but it was slow and got incredibly hot then it fell to pieces. I think there is one called Rocky Creek or something like that that is well rated, it is the bare pump not even in a case. I however am thinking of getting a Ring rechargeable pump as everyone I have ever spoken to about them that has gone through the process has ended up with a Ring branded pump.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I got this one off AliExpress.....

20221102_121735-min.jpg

Thing is, I want something to carry around on the bike without worrying about it, and have it available for when I get a puncture somewhere remote. 

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

This is what I use, it's over 10 years old now and I even use it in the garage.  They are not cheap but are very well made.

https://bestrestproducts.com/product-category/cyclepump-ez-gauge/

I like that, but won’t order stuff from the US, it’s a faff to get them out of customs sometimes.

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

Rocky Creek

Will look into it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

This is what I use, it's over 10 years old now and I even use it in the garage.  They are not cheap but are very well made.

you can get these in the U.K. as well, probably Portugal if you do a search.

• Like 1

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If I had a BMW I’d probably have a look on Nippy Normans because they’re more likely to sell one that works or will charge from a DIN socket. 

Indeed, but I took the din socket out for USB, much more convenient for the phone which I frequently use. And also Nippy Normans were idiots about the shipping last time I ordered stuff from them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Indeed, but I took the din socket out for USB, much more convenient for the phone which I frequently use. And also Nippy Normans were idiots about the shipping last time I ordered stuff from them.

Well yes their catalogue is a mess and they appear overwhelmed. If you found something you like you could buy it elsewhere but no DIN socket makes them a bit redundant doesn’t it. They sell a din to usb plug so you could have the best of both?

I have the same as Pete, bought in Alcampo 28 euros. Gets used every time we pick the bikes up and charges from a USB socket. Seems to be doing a good job but can’t comment on its longevity, the reviews for all these cheap compact pumps are very variable. 

• Like 1

I have used one of these for years does exactly what its supposed to do and fits in my jacket pocket. Would be easy enough to chop the plug off and convert it to connect straight to the battery
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RSC13TZ?tag=track-ect-uk-10273-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=ecSEP2ermselwldhk3him

• Like 2

On 29/01/2023 at 12:30, boboneleg said:

Just been told by a friend that inside the alloy box this is identical to the Rocky Creek pump.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marcel said:

Not related but I have a co2 inflation kit with tire plugs for emergency....I have yet to use it..so I can't really tell you anything about it..

I have one too, did try one of the bottles the other day and they worked ok, i think using two or three I could have pressure to ride. But still would rather have a pump for peace of mind.

• Like 1

Will order a rocky creek one later today. Should be smaller than all the others which is a bonus.

Then find a nice tight bag for it, put it in my right side case and hopefully never look at it again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

Will order a rocky creek one later today. Should be smaller than all the others which is a bonus.

Then find a nice tight bag for it, put it in my right side case and hopefully never look at it again.

I think it comes with a bag.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/02/2023 at 19:50, Pedro said:

Did you go for the Rocky creek one or decide on something else?

11 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Did you go for the Rocky creek one or decide on something else?

Decided on the Rocky Creek one, but tried to order from the Netherlands and am not going to buy as much as they want for postage. Same as buying from the UK, am also not paying that, it's almost cheaper going there personally to buy one. 

So gave up and will order one those from Touratech, maybe make a coffee run to Lisbon next time I'm home and buy it in person.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

Decided on the Rocky Creek one, but tried to order from the Netherlands and am not going to buy as much as they want for postage. Same as buying from the UK, am also not paying that, it's almost cheaper going there personally to buy one. 

So gave up and will order one those from Touratech, maybe make a coffee run to Lisbon next time I'm home and buy it in person.

I've ordered one after reading this thread. I think I'm going to have to add crocodile clips to it when I get it. Removing battery cables is a pain on the ST12 and the fuse on the electrical socket on my bike will probably blow if I plug something like this in to it.

I have been taking a foot pump away with me and it weighs a bit/takes up room, although I have the air cartridges with me, they are a pain to use and if you balls it up you are stuck.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I've ordered one after reading this thread. I think I'm going to have to add crocodile clips to it when I get it. Removing battery cables is a pain on the ST12 and the fuse on the electrical socket on my bike will probably blow if I plug something like this in to it.

I have been taking a foot pump away with me and it weighs a bit/takes up room, although I have the air cartridges with me, they are a pain to use and if you balls it up you are stuck.

Adding a fused SAE connector will make it so much easier when you come to use it.  I have them on all my bikes and use them with various connections for charging the battery, charging my phone on the move and using my compressor 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385002612968?hash=item59a3f1a8e8:g:qkQAAOSwegpizTrN&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4EKRYeqJ%2FKoZjtkA2yP2vOLubSFd0%2FcgnN%2BrtInlshRNZ%2FFlRPrQZUlSFbrCEfMAUY8tn%2BX4xETw8rbCR4SarrygDr48AxDliUbIBB7TqYExzv6jt3we0167ONOdHHXxEadPtkHUXjiYqX74qmbcv3v%2FXM5UtkB4RPxBXdlRG3M7g3m1oXW02lb7b8GAB98WRABRmWyyjl4aFC2UZjSiw0N4ie6J2a7XA47%2F%2FZwQQHeZPOJDKb602XPvQnKY2QUNo3lPt1gOvXPdrnRSYB3yxiqBIGJUsppNDIimHoNPK8Tg|tkp%3ABFBMtIfhu-Bh

• Like 2

My pump arrived yesterday evening. It came with crocodile clips as well as a set of leads with ring terminals. I fitted the crocodile clips on just now and stuck them on a bike battery that has been sitting in my garage for about 2 years. The pump spun up and air came out of the outlet valve, not tried it on a real tyre yet, will do that another day when I have more time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yen_powell said:

My pump arrived yesterday evening. It came with crocodile clips as well as a set of leads with ring terminals. I fitted the crocodile clips on just now and stuck them on a bike battery that has been sitting in my garage for about 2 years. The pump spun up and air came out of the outlet valve, not tried it on a real tyre yet, will do that another day when I have more time.

Pics when it happens.