Tire pump advice

Pedro

Just been out cleaning up my front brakes so I took a few non-working pictures of the pump. Ignore the box it's sitting on, that's from some ramp things I bought to try and get the car up enough to reach the sump plug. The writing is my reminder of my bike's mileage after cleaning the brakes.

The little bag it comes in for storage.

image.png.49e5094841b471b62bb139fb4e250315.png

A blurry picture of how it was wrapped when I first looked inside the bag

image.png.2a956499275acdd39fcbb1b64cbc1d23.png

The pump itself with and without the crocodile clips connected. I have removed the ring terminals which also came as a plug in connector.

image.png.7c00ec87bf3a05c3cc605f05f214c7d5.png

image.png.3cce3ca19f6029045158b009d601f72e.png

image.png.96b9fec4b107f7f5a51fe9e4fe5fd44d.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yen_powell said:

Just been out cleaning up my front brakes so I took a few non-working pictures of the pump. Ignore the box it's sitting on, that's from some ramp things I bought to try and get the car up enough to reach the sump plug. The writing is my reminder of my bike's mileage after cleaning the brakes.

The little bag it comes in for storage.

image.png.49e5094841b471b62bb139fb4e250315.png

A blurry picture of how it was wrapped when I first looked inside the bag

image.png.2a956499275acdd39fcbb1b64cbc1d23.png

The pump itself with and without the crocodile clips connected. I have removed the ring terminals which also came as a plug in connector.

image.png.7c00ec87bf3a05c3cc605f05f214c7d5.png

image.png.3cce3ca19f6029045158b009d601f72e.png

image.png.96b9fec4b107f7f5a51fe9e4fe5fd44d.png

Need something for perspective. It looks like an unwieldy bundle at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Need something for perspective. It looks like an unwieldy bundle at the moment. 

The idea is that it’s wrapped away for emergencies using little space, not something you use daily for adjusting tire pressures.

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

The idea is that it’s wrapped away for emergencies using little space, not something you use daily for adjusting tire pressures.

Yes but at the moment it looks bigger and more unwieldy than my little pump that can to both things so I wanted to see some perspective. 

Like the pic I took for someone else earlier of the Chernobyl peppers in the supermarket 

4CFD8BF8-9749-45E5-BD11-AB6D8C4DB09D.thumb.jpeg.2aa559de5fb1994cc10ae821a613b757.jpeg

Don’t reckon they’d do as good a job on your tyres.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yes but at the moment it looks bigger and more unwieldy than my little pump that can to both things so I wanted to see some perspective. 

Like the pic I took for someone else earlier of the Chernobyl peppers in the supermarket 

4CFD8BF8-9749-45E5-BD11-AB6D8C4DB09D.thumb.jpeg.2aa559de5fb1994cc10ae821a613b757.jpeg

Don’t reckon they’d do as good a job on your tyres.

what's wrong with those peppers? Normal peppers

13 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

my little pump that can to both things

Show us pictures of your little pump that can do both things. I want perspective, with a smile.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

what's wrong with those peppers? Normal peppers

They’re about triple the size of peppers available in the UK😆

UK supermarket sizes, shapes and ages are very strictly regulated. Everything is uniform in size and must last forever in a fridge. I’m talking weeks. 

Consequently everything is picked and shipped woefully small and under ripe and the flavour is hugely compromised as a consequence. 

When I said I’d move here for the tomatoes alone I wasn’t kidding 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Show us pictures of your little pump that can do both things. I want perspective, with a smile.

Ok but I’m going to check a euro against the size of a pound coin first so theres proper perspective. 

Off to search for coins. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

UK supermarket sizes, shapes and ages are very strictly regulated. Everything is uniform in size and must last forever in a fridge. I’m talking weeks. 

Consequently everything is picked and shipped woefully small and under ripe and the flavour is hugely compromised as a consequence. 

When I said I’d move here for the tomatoes alone I wasn’t kidding 😂

It's dutch grown in greenhouses, it's shit. That stuff is also generic stuff grown in industrial farming, except it gets proper sunshine.

You appreciate your cooking and vegetables, so take your bike and go on rides to the hills or smaller towns with central daily markets. You'll get proper small farming produce grown with love in proper soil, you'll really like it!

• Like 2

It's dutch grown in greenhouses, it's shit. That stuff is also generic stuff grown in industrial farming, except it gets proper sunshine.

You appreciate your cooking and vegetables, so take your bike and go on rides to the hills or smaller towns with central daily markets. You'll get proper small farming produce grown with love in proper soil, you'll really like it!

I’m glad you said that because I didn’t want to post I’ve tried them and they’re not very good.

• Like 1

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m glad you said that because I didn’t want to post I’ve tried them and they’re not very good.

You are in Spain's orchard/farm, but apart from small producers it's been converted to big business as I'm sure you've seen on the road riding for ages across the same farm. That's why I rather buy vegetables and fruit from Morocco than from Spain, but still there must be local producers and you'll still surely get the old ladies selling stuff on the town's market or sunday street market. Go explore, you'll have fun and make amazing food.

• Like 2

Here you go @Pedro

No pound coins 

You are in Spain's orchard/farm, but apart from small producers it's been converted to big business as I'm sure you've seen on the road riding for ages across the same farm. That's why I rather buy vegetables and fruit from Morocco than from Spain, but still there must be local producers and you'll still surely get the old ladies selling stuff on the town's market or sunday street market. Go explore, you'll have fun and make amazing food.

Thanks.

There is a market here twice a week with real produce 😊

But todays choices were dictated by external factors so the tiring supermarket won.  

• Like 1

Ok no sterling pound coins available. Looks like my wallet is almost fully euro 😆

A fiver is all I have for comparison but you get the idea. It’s smaller than a five pound note but bigger than 5 euros. Obviously the depth is missing but you can kind of get that from the pics.

7C6AFAB3-89EB-49F0-9138-17BD4FAE112C.thumb.jpeg.05dc439631d6961586b8d574907c7860.jpeg

D2F04621-0293-41D8-A5F3-CC5F6B7BB81E.thumb.jpeg.d9694c6244f1a7c777c4bf7ee76c43c5.jpeg

6C212E84-C822-4E16-B379-82FB9FD0ED86.thumb.jpeg.de22e7b088672c381459651a388d0a44.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ok no sterling pound coins available. Looks like my wallet is almost fully euro 😆

A fiver is all I have for comparison but you get the idea. It’s smaller than a five pound note but bigger than 5 euros. Obviously the depth is missing but you can kind of get that from the pics.

7C6AFAB3-89EB-49F0-9138-17BD4FAE112C.thumb.jpeg.05dc439631d6961586b8d574907c7860.jpeg

D2F04621-0293-41D8-A5F3-CC5F6B7BB81E.thumb.jpeg.d9694c6244f1a7c777c4bf7ee76c43c5.jpeg

6C212E84-C822-4E16-B379-82FB9FD0ED86.thumb.jpeg.de22e7b088672c381459651a388d0a44.jpeg

Not a fair comparison though as that's not really an emergency thing. That is a modern usb charged electronic thing, not something you can really put in your luggage and forget about until you have a flat and need to inflate a tire from empty.

Just now, Pedro said:

Not a fair comparison though as that's not really an emergency thing. That is a modern usb charged electronic thing, not something you can really put in your luggage and forget about until you have a flat and need to inflate a tire from empty.

It charges from a usb (ie your battery) and so far it’s held its charge absurdly well.

Charged once in over 6 months but used an estimated 5-7 times.

Although I should add somehow neither bikes had lost much pressure so it only had a few psi to do on each each time.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It charges from a usb (ie your battery) and so far it’s held its charge absurdly well.

Charged once in over 6 months but used an estimated 5-7 times.

Although I should add somehow neither bikes had lost much pressure so it only had a few psi to do on each each time.  

Leave in your luggage and forget, then 1 year from now use for filling a tire after plugging it, and maybe 2 hours later after the plug didn't properly work. You want battery operated for that.

I'm talking out of my ass, as I never had a flat tire.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Leave in your luggage and forget, then 1 year from now use for filling a tire after plugging it, and maybe 2 hours later after the plug didn't properly work. You want battery operated for that.

I'm talking out of my ass, as I never had a flat tire.

Yep you are 😆

Basic maintenance on appliances, devices and batteries. Stick it on your calendar set an alert and plug it in. 

Or add it to the check it’s charged before you leave list. 

Thats my preference. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yep you are 😆

Basic maintenance on appliances, devices and batteries. Stick it on your calendar set an alert and plug it in. 

Or add it to the check it’s charged before you leave list. 

Thats my preference. 

You'll notice that on all of those modern automatic battery things they state a maximum run time of a few minutes, 4 to 8. That's not enough to fully inflate a tire twice at the rate they run, just saying.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pedro said:

You'll notice that on all of those modern automatic battery things they state a maximum run time of a few minutes, 4 to 8. That's not enough to fully inflate a tire twice at the rate they run, just saying.

I am aware of that. 

As they age they have a tendency to over heat too 😳

But I have no intention of carrying two lumpy things and riding with (close) to the right pressure is generally more of a concern. 

If you carry a tubeless repair kit then one inflation should get you to safety. 

Or at least give enough time to recharge from a usb. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

the right pressure is generally more of a concern

For that use a proper pressure gauge instead of a cheap electronic usb thing. Overinflate a little at a gas station before stopping and adjust later with cold tires. Or just use a good bycicle pump at home, 10 seconds and it's done.

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

For that use a proper pressure gauge instead of a cheap electronic usb thing. Overinflate a little at a gas station before stopping and adjust later with cold tires. Or just use a good bycicle pump at home, 10 seconds and it's done.

Garage tire inflators are also woefully inaccurate. 

Days and days on the road not in 4 star surroundings finding and paying for air becomes very tiresome. 

• Like 1