Your Day Today!

XTreme

11 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I was just looking at the group stages for the Rugby world cup (mainly to see if Engalnd have a chance of beating anyone 🙄) and noticed that Portugal are playing !!  Who new that Portugal played rugby , have you any input on this @Pedro  ?

I know nothing about rugby, but I do know that they are serious about it, they scream the national anthem at the beginning too with full lyrics, and seem to never give up. They seem to get the respect of the teams that beat them, but as you can imagine rugby isn't significant as a national sport here.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I know nothing about rugby, but I do know that they are serious about it, they scream the national anthem at the beginning too with full lyrics, and seem to never give up. They seem to get the respect of the teams that beat them, but as you can imagine rugby isn't significant as a national sport here.

Difficult to play rugby without being serious due to the violence. 

How was the ride towards the ferry?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

How was the ride towards the ferry?

Ferry is only tomorrow, today we ride around the Picos

• Like 4

21 hours ago, XTreme said:

It's played here as well.....they're not very good at it though!

They aren't that bad mate, pretty close to qualifying for the last 3 World Cups.   If it wasn't for some clumsy skullduggery about importing a South African player they would have been at the 2019 World Cup.  And yes I know practically every nation has imported a Saffer now and again. just that Spain were particularly bad at it.    Obviously still a tier two nation but but still a good standard and better than most UK club rugby outside of the Premiership.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Don't underestimate how much fun contact sports are.  I was at my club watching them win their first game of the season last Saturday, I would have loved to be on the pitch with them if it were not for the case that I am way to old and fragile for that malarky  now.  😐

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Saul said:

Don't underestimate how much fun contact sports are.  I was at my club watching them win their first game of the season last Saturday, I would have loved to be on the pitch with them if it were not for the case that I am way to old and fragile for that malarky  now.  😐

Happy Boys on Saturday 

Happy Boys.   .jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saul said:

I’ve been involved in the rugby club since I was 17 years old (brace for some braggy sounding shite), Mr Slowly and I helped secure decent funding and coaches and provided all the players kit to create a women’s rugby team that went to twickenham, won awards and has produced England players - so I underestimate nothing revolving around rugby. 

What rugby does for these women is unbelievable. It can take broken girls and women and turn them into confident fun loving forces of nature who are able to get out there and live the life they want rather than accept some shitty lesser lot in life. It’s quite remarkable. 

Just a few months ago a friend’s teenage daughter was in a terrible place, she changed schools and was being bullied horribly. We suggested she came along to rugby and rugby being what it is, even as ‘quirky’ as she is she was welcomed, accepted as part of the team and within a few weeks all the bullying stopped. She was genuinely happy again. Cors it helped that some of the girls from her school play at the same club but that’s also part of the joy, you don’t let your team mates get bullied by outsiders do you!
That’s one tiny example of some of the amazing things I’ve seen rugby do. 

Even if you are old and fragile you have a lifetimes worth of experience you can hand on to the junior section if you want to be involved, junior coaches are always in short supply. Cors it’s not the same as being on the pitch as a player but if you want a fix that can certainly do it. The pride you feel about them is immense. 

Personally after 30 years involvement I’m glad to break from it and relieved not to be talking about it all day everyday anymore, hence me rarely ever commenting on anything rugby related!  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’ve been involved in the rugby club since I was 17 years old (brace for some braggy sounding shite), Mr Slowly and I helped secure decent funding and coaches and provided all the players kit to create a women’s rugby team that went to twickenham, won awards and has produced England players - so I underestimate nothing revolving around rugby. 

What rugby does for these women is unbelievable. It can take broken girls and women and turn them into confident fun loving forces of nature who are able to get out there and live the life they want rather than accept some shitty lesser lot in life. It’s quite remarkable. 

Just a few months ago a friend’s teenage daughter was in a terrible place, she changed schools and was being bullied horribly. We suggested she came along to rugby and rugby being what it is, even as ‘quirky’ as she is she was welcomed, accepted as part of the team and within a few weeks all the bullying stopped. She was genuinely happy again. Cors it helped that some of the girls from her school play at the same club but that’s also part of the joy, you don’t let your team mates get bullied by outsiders do you!
That’s one tiny example of some of the amazing things I’ve seen rugby do. 

Even if you are old and fragile you have a lifetimes worth of experience you can hand on to the junior section if you want to be involved, junior coaches are always in short supply. Cors it’s not the same as being on the pitch as a player but if you want a fix that can certainly do it. The pride you feel about them is immense. 

Personally after 30 years involvement I’m glad to break from it and relieved not to be talking about it all day everyday anymore, hence me rarely ever commenting on anything rugby related!  

Oh I have been in my club to since 18, only because at the time they never had a Colts section, so I went to St Austell Colts at 16 until I was old enough to come home.  Finished Playing when I was 42 so have done my time on the field.  I have coached both at the club and the local schools over the years.  Not so much now the game and tactics have moved on from my knowledge strengths, there are younger better lads to do it now.     But I am still there and involved, with a mate we started Lankelly Shout which is a singing group initially to bring after match singing back to the new generation of lads.  We had our first years anniversary last month.  We run a regular monthly practice night alongside Thursday rugby practice.  We had 8 on the first one now get around 25 to 30 and did once peak at 35 so it is well supported.  Many choirs have less.    Then in June we held our first  fundraiser called 'Lankelly's Day of Cornish Song'.  After expenses we raised £5K for the club and got nearly 500 of the local community to come along.  It was a blast that can only grow, next years date is already set.   We have our own shirts and and professionally produced song book that hopefully brings a valuable contribution to the club in funds, culture and foot fall to the bar.  So I am still well involved and making a contribution.   

LankellyShoutshirt.jpeg.2ace6d5d44ea23296b807588d1ec001d.jpeg

One of our away days singing over at Polruan across the river.  

lankellyshoutpolruan.jpeg.861a72aa8cda25ccc83c87ba73a349f9.jpeg

My book with stains 🤣

IMG_0385.thumb.jpeg.0d3a62c0ad8082317505281dc6730f3e.jpeg

Here is our team sheet from last Saturday.  Two of those lads I actually played in the team with years ago.  Seven of them are the sons of ex players and mates.   Doesn't get much more grass roots and local than that.  

LankellySatteam..jpeg.192e15bd8a0f709a368ab0b852e4dd60.jpeg

Our club has a 200 strong junior section but only one adult team, we used to have two but male participatory rugby playing is on the decline country wide and that is sadly true in Cornwall as it is elsewhere.  I think women's rugby is a fantastic movement and long may it continue,  I look forward to the day when we can field a women's team.  

We are still only a grassroots club in Cornwall Division 2 (snakes belly) but we own our  ground and clubhouse and have money in the bank.  Many much more senior clubs wish they could say the same.  

https://www.facebook.com/ClubHouseLankelly/

So I can be a bit braggy too about my contribution to my Club and rugby in general.  I am sorry if I touched a nerve with you I in no way intended to be dismissive.  Just wanted to emphasize that rugby is popular with many because it is a lot of fun to play.   

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Saul said:

Oh I have been in my club to since 18, only because at the time they never had a Colts section, so I went to St Austell Colts at 16 until I was old enough to come home.  Finished Playing when I was 42 so have done my time on the field.  I have coached both at the club and the local schools over the years.  Not so much now the game and tactics have moved on from my knowledge strengths, there are younger better lads to do it now.     But I am still there and involved, with a mate we started Lankelly Shout which is a singing group initially to bring after match singing back to the new generation of lads.  We had our first years anniversary last month.  We run a regular monthly practice night alongside Thursday rugby practice.  We had 8 on the first one now get around 25 to 30 and did once peak at 35 so it is well supported.  Many choirs have less.    Then in June we held our first  fundraiser called 'Lankelly's Day of Cornish Song'.  After expenses we raised £5K for the club and got nearly 500 of the local community to come along.  It was a blast that can only grow, next years date is already set.   We have our own shirts and and professionally produced song book that hopefully brings a valuable contribution to the club in funds, culture and foot fall to the bar.  So I am still well involved and making a contribution.   

LankellyShoutshirt.jpeg.2ace6d5d44ea23296b807588d1ec001d.jpeg

One of our away days singing over at Polruan across the river.  

lankellyshoutpolruan.jpeg.861a72aa8cda25ccc83c87ba73a349f9.jpeg

My book with stains 🤣

IMG_0385.thumb.jpeg.0d3a62c0ad8082317505281dc6730f3e.jpeg

Here is our team sheet from last Saturday.  Two of those lads I actually played in the team with years ago.  Seven of them are the sons of ex players and mates.   Doesn't get much more grass roots and local than that.  

LankellySatteam..jpeg.192e15bd8a0f709a368ab0b852e4dd60.jpeg

Our club has a 200 strong junior section but only one adult team, we used to have two but male participatory rugby playing is on the decline country wide and that is sadly true in Cornwall as it is elsewhere.  I think women's rugby is a fantastic movement and long may it continue,  I look forward to the day when we can field a women's team.  

We are still only a grassroots club in Cornwall Division 2 (snakes belly) but we have own our  ground and clubhouse and have money in the bank.  Many much more senior clubs wish they could say the same.  

https://www.facebook.com/ClubHouseLankelly/

So I can be a bit braggy too about my contribution to my Club and rugby in general.  I am sorry if I touched a nerve with you I in no way intended to be dismissive.  Just wanted to emphasize that rugby is popular with many because it is a lot of fun to play.   

You didn't touch a nerve it's all good. It's always worth checking someones knowledge or experience before assuming they don't know about a topic, you don't need to be told how to suck eggs anymore than I do 😆

• Like 3

Great news! Our eldest grandson (5) has got a school place starting next week. The youngest one (3) has also got a place as well.

If you remember, Fatty was threatening to take them back to that Slavic ghetto if he didn't get in! And any excuse will do.

But now that window of opportunity has closed for her......so she's stuck in Spain and hating every minute of it. :classic_laugh:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

@XTreme so what’s ‘coffee syrup’ in Spanish or don’t they have that sort of thing?

I'm worried about you , preening fairies and now you want jollop in your coffee.  Man up woman ..............

braxton family values GIF by WE tv

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I'm worried about you , preening fairies and now you want jollop in your coffee.  Man up woman ..............

braxton family values GIF by WE tv

I’m manly enough to be comfortable with femininity. 

Embrace it Bob, I’m sure you could make a fantastic jollop drinking fairy fixer upper 😂

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

That's the best Post Office in the world :classic_cool:

I have a mild PO allergy courtesy of the nasty PO man at our local PO being horrible to any child that set foot in there, a good one could be just the cure I need so fess up, where it be?

• Like 1