Your Day Today!

XTreme

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer cheers. I’m aware of the different priorities depending on the road etc. Probably won’t mention priorities, traffics lights and speed limits until we’re on the ferry cos some people like to worry. 

Stop signs are a good little money earner for the Gendarmes! Make sure you come to a complete stop and count to 3 before moving off again. 

Some departments have fitted speed cameras in private vehicles as a nice little earner too! So keep a close eye on your speed. A lot of villages and towns are 30kph.

Watch roundabouts too. Just because someone is in the righthand lane doesn't mean that they're not going all the way round the roundabout! This has nearly caught me out several times now!

Also watch out on righthand bends, as traffic coming the opposite direction often come well over the middle of the road! This has also caused me a few heart stopping moments too.

Safe to say that the standard of driving over here hasn't improved in the last 50 years or more! 😂😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tango said:

Stop signs are a good little money earner for the Gendarmes! Make sure you come to a complete stop and count to 3 before moving off again. 

Some departments have fitted speed cameras in private vehicles as a nice little earner too! So keep a close eye on your speed. A lot of villages and towns are 30kph.

Watch roundabouts too. Just because someone is in the righthand lane doesn't mean that they're not going all the way round the roundabout! This has nearly caught me out several times now!

Also watch out on righthand bends, as traffic coming the opposite direction often come well over the middle of the road! This has also caused me a few heart stopping moments too.

Safe to say that the standard of driving over here hasn't improved in the last 50 years or more! 😂😂

Well thankyou Mr Tango 😊

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well thankyou Mr Tango 😊

Not trying scaremongering,  but just a few things that have nearly caught me out in the past couple of years here. 👍

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tango said:

It's pretty rare outside of villages and towns these days, but there's always exceptions! 😉😂😂

Happened to me couple of times , the better way for me ,( not pulling out on me ) waiting to come out a side road and car stopped on the main road to let me out … I thought what a pleasant bunch you French are , they was obviously locals .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Tango said:

Not trying scaremongering,  but just a few things that have nearly caught me out in the past couple of years here. 👍

I didn’t think you were. All good to know. A bit of a tangent but I think once you’ve been pregnant and the millionth miserable old hag tries to scare the shit out of you about childbirth for their own cheap thrills you lose the ability to find what other people say even vaguely scary 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Having a right old knees up then?

Not quite…….spent all day running around like a headless chicken for my old man.

Spent an hour and a half in the supermarket for him decide he needed 8 toilet rolls, 4 kitchen rolls, a bottle of red wine (had to be from California 😱), two pairs of rubber gloves, a bottle of bleach and 2 things you hang on the rim of the toilet to stop it stinking………oh and a packet of chocolate digestives.

No wonder I need a few beers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Not quite…….spent all day running around like a headless chicken for my old man.

Spent an hour and a half in the supermarket for him decide he needed 8 toilet rolls, 4 kitchen rolls, a bottle of red wine (had to be from California 😱), two pairs of rubber gloves, a bottle of bleach and 2 things you hang on the rim of the toilet to stop it stinking………oh and a packet of chocolate digestives.

No wonder I need a few beers.

Doesn’t sound quite like something you needed you to return to the UK for?!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Doesn’t sound quite like something you needed you to return to the UK for?!

Exact-fucking-ly………my missus is fuming! The cost of the flights, car hire and hotel (couldn’t kip at mates place like normal) has cost nearly 900 euros.

I won’t be doing it again.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Exact-fucking-ly………my missus is fuming! The cost of the flights, car hire and hotel (couldn’t kip at mates place like normal) has cost nearly 900 euros.

Happy environment back there?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Got you dancing like a monkey on the end of a piece of string then?

You’d think by now they’d of heard the story of the little boy that cry’s wolf wouldn’t you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Skippy said:

In the UK sorting out admin for my dad. It’s cold, grey and definitely miserable………and that’s not only the weather. 😝😝😝

On the plus side the pub breakfast was the bollocks! 😜

B7A265CD-5045-43E6-A282-0C4D9DEBFC94.jpeg

Yes , YES. Although that sausage.:classic_sad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Mind you no toilet paper is kind of an emergency isnt it 😆

Oh he’s got rolls and rolls of the stuff, same with the kitchen rolls, as I found out when I put the shopping away for him.

I could’ve screamed but held it in and cleaned his kitchen bin out after he used it without a bin bag……….I’m not squeamish but I had a little retch to myself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Six30 said:

beware of this , mainly in villages....  Priorité a droite

if you see this sign  image.png.76e3563fe0ae0415eb3df8b8184eafcd.png you are on a "route prioritaire" and there will be no "priority to the right" junctions untill you pass this sign image.png.88e2d38967208775587bca302bf452c9.png marking the end of the "route prioritaire" . They are often on top of the town or village limit signs.

The Priority to the right is actually quite simple. it is the default setting. In the absence of other instructions ( road markings or signposts) then "priorité a droite"

11 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Very good point, one of the most confusing traffic laws in France.  One very irate old French bloke gave me an earful in a small village near Limoges, I don't know exactly what he said but I don't think it was very flattering .

outside of a town or village, a "priorité a droite" is usually marked by this sign image.png.78c32c576a701183bc19ace9b0834fff.png

10 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer cheers. I’m aware of the different priorities depending on the road etc. Probably won’t mention priorities, traffics lights and speed limits until we’re on the ferry cos some people like to worry. 

If in doubt, give way to the right

5 hours ago, Tango said:

It's pretty rare outside of villages and towns these days, but there's always exceptions! 😉😂😂

it was dying out but is now coming back in force in rural areas as the state decentralised the roads, it's up to the local mairies  to pay for their local road maintenance and the signs and normalized reflective paint are f,kin expensive so the cheap and easy option is just to make everything "priority a droite" 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Oh he’s got rolls and rolls of the stuff, same with the kitchen rolls, as I found out when I put the shopping away for him.

I could’ve screamed but held it in and cleaned his kitchen bin out after he used it without a bin bag……….I’m not squeamish but I had a little retch to myself.

Drunk Sweetest Day GIF by Originals

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, MooN said:

if you see this sign  image.png.76e3563fe0ae0415eb3df8b8184eafcd.png you are on a "route prioritaire" and there will be no "priority to the right" junctions untill you pass this sign image.png.88e2d38967208775587bca302bf452c9.png marking the end of the "route prioritaire" . They are often on top of the town or village limit signs.

The Priority to the right is actually quite simple. it is the default setting. In the absence of other instructions ( road markings or signposts) then "priorité a droite"

outside of a town or village, a "priorité a droite" is usually marked by this sign image.png.78c32c576a701183bc19ace9b0834fff.png

If in doubt, give way to the right

it was dying out but is now coming back in force in rural areas as the state decentralised the roads, it's up to the local mairies  to pay for their local road maintenance and the signs and normalized reflective paint are f,kin expensive so the cheap and easy option is just to make everything "priority a droite" 

Those signs are very handy to know. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Had enough of planning this trip now.

Took forever to find the right accommodation, ended up redoing the route planning to land up in the right place via a decent route and now even though booking.com said my booking was confirmed they’ve emailed to say they can’t confirm my booking and are issuing a refund which may take 7-10 days.  FFS I hadn’t paid for it yet anyway so I dunno what they’re on about or if I have any accommodation, it’s still showing as booking confirmed.

I really don’t want to start AGAIN

Cry Crying GIF by POWERS

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Had enough of planning this trip now.

Took forever to find the right accommodation, ended up redoing the route planning to land up in the right place via a decent route and now even though booking.com said my booking was confirmed they’ve emailed to say they can’t confirm my booking and are issuing a refund which may take 7-10 days.  FFS I hadn’t paid for it yet anyway so I dunno what they’re on about or if I have any accommodation, it’s still showing as booking confirmed.

I really don’t want to start AGAIN

Cry Crying GIF by POWERS

Be careful with the refund email from booking.com, it may be a scam.  I've had that one before :classic_huh:

• Like 2