Small number plates.

Saul

I remember back in the day you could get smaller rear plates for bikes in UK, is that still a thing or illegal now.   No strong feelings about it just a passing thought I had today.

• Like 1

Oh so illegal. The dimensions for a UK number plate lettering and board size is very specific, it’s points n fine worthy of breached. 

If it’s a private plate (ie not the number originally assigned at registration) your purchased plate reg is simply on loan to you and breaching the plate law can see your plate reg taken back!

In reality you can minimise the size of the plate (the large yellow backing part) and keep the letters to the legal size without it obviously making a difference to the appearance while still improving the aesthetics  

If you change the colours, font or size of type face you’re asking for it!

ps the rules are different for vintage bikes!

• Like 2

I have a ‘show plate’ ie not a road legal plate for skinny arsed bike of mine. It has legal size letters on a smaller yellow back plate. 
It looks all legal and dandy (only used on private roads and at shows not road legal obvs 😉).

i reckon of you’re after the retro just about legal look reducing the size of the  backplate (not the font size by more than 1-2mm) is worth it.  

If you're showing your license plate numbers anyway, why risk getting a ticket?

If you want to avoid cameras and stuff like that, on weekends the tape over the plate thing or national flag tied from blinker to blinker is still common here for people riding fast on motorways. No use for those on a Royal Enfield, obviously, as the only place they can speed through is a school zone.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Pedro said:

If you're showing your license plate numbers anyway, why risk getting a ticket?

If you want to avoid cameras and stuff like that, on weekends the tape over the plate thing or national flag tied from blinker to blinker is still common here for people riding fast on motorways. No use for those on a Royal Enfield, obviously, as the only place they can speed through is a school zone.

You’d get ripped to shreds here if you obscured or obviously altered your no plate in anyway. A bit of mud is enough for a fine.
An easy nick with hefty consequences. 

@Saul ignore the witticisms re Royal Enfield the comments are not made from any actual experience… and.. umm .. you can get a speeding ticking on a bicycle so there’s that 😂 

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You’d get ripped to shreds here if you obscured or obviously altered your no plate in anyway.

You would here too, that's why they put sticky tape while they're on the motorway going past cameras and toll booths and while it's easy to run from cops, and it's back to a normal plate in town and where cops can fine you. On your hipster plate, you can neither run away or avoid a ticket when you're stopped.

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

You would here too, that's why they put sticky tape while they're on the motorway going past cameras and toll booths and while it's easy to run from cops, and it's back to a normal plate in town and where cops can fine you. On your hipster plate, you can neither run away or avoid a ticket when you're stopped.

Sticky tape would be a full blown car/helicopter chase here cos obviously you’re a drug runner/vehicle theft type. 
Spose it’s different if you live in a place not covered with cameras.

A while back we had a guy turn up at work on a Super Tenere, he was going to get a custom map on the dyno.  As I helped to push his bike up the ramp I told him that his number plate was missing.  He knew and had ridden up from Taunton like that (about 35 miles), when I enquired about him being worried about getting a pull from the police he said 'I am a policeman ' .  You couldn't make it up :twat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On the way here yesterday Mr Slowly was overtaking a lorry and a white merc flew up behind him at lightning speed and sat about an inch off his rear wheel flashing his lights to get out of the way. 
He was mid way alongside the lorry so I don’t know where the prat thought he could go. 

Mr Slowly considered slowing down to annoy him but decided it would be better to stay alive and before he’d even got back across the white line the Merc pushed up the inside inches from him. I saw all of this in my mirrors, it made my blood boil so gave the appropriate hand gestures as he passed then noticed his tiny red n white almost impossible to read number plate. 

Apparently Diplomats are so exempt from behaving decently they have different coloured plates so no-one can stop them. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Anyway, I'm back to a full sized legal plate on the donkey, it's even had an identity change :classic_ohmy:

IMG_2936.thumb.jpeg.f0c5b50b5243886502ce7a37e99f9c41.jpeg

It identifies as a Yamaha now

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Anyway, I'm back to a full sized legal plate on the donkey, it's even had an identity change :classic_ohmy:

IMG_2936.thumb.jpeg.f0c5b50b5243886502ce7a37e99f9c41.jpeg

That’s not legal.

• Haha 1

On 20/10/2022 at 21:08, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oh so illegal. The dimensions for a UK number plate lettering and board size is very specific, it’s points n fine worthy of breached. 

If it’s a private plate (ie not the number originally assigned at registration) your purchased plate reg is simply on loan to you and breaching the plate law can see your plate reg taken back!

In reality you can minimise the size of the plate (the large yellow backing part) and keep the letters to the legal size without it obviously making a difference to the appearance while still improving the aesthetics  

If you change the colours, font or size of type face you’re asking for it!

ps the rules are different for vintage bikes!

New vehicles 2022 on have to comply to BS AU 145e now which also includes private plates on new vehicles which means the Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras can detect them easier. you must also display The name of the business that supplied them. The postcode of that business. The name of the licence plate manufacturer. and your supposed to keep them clean so that's me fucked then LOL

• Haha 2