Small number plates.

Saul

Just now, Buckster said:

They have to have the British standard number on them as well now. You can’t make your own anymore.

Yes but it would be a pretty petty prick of a copper to pull you on that one, although saying that an old friend of mine ended up in court because he put tape over the bike shops name at the bottom of the plate because he didn't want to advertise them, i'm not sure if he's told me the full story of what happened with the copper that stopped him and what went on in court but he left court with almost £800 fine and that was probably 10 years ago.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes but it would be a pretty petty prick of a copper to pull you on that one, although saying that an old friend of mine ended up in court because he put tape over the bike shops name at the bottom of the plate because he didn't want to advertise them, i'm not sure if he's told me the full story of what happened with the copper that stopped him and what went on in court but he left court with almost £800 fine and that was probably 10 years ago.

I know someone who was pulled for having a frame that partially obscured the suppliers name.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Au contraire el dipstick.

legal plate with manufacturers name and postcode on 

Did you fit it after 1st September?

Its getting scary now, i was watching one of these police interceptor programs the other night where they had pulled a guy in a car with garage plates on but the rear one was missing and he said it was there when he left it must have fallen off, they asked him his route and then went to check the ANPR cameras, they had picked up the cars registration number along the route but not the garage plate i think they were looking at booking for using the garage plates to drive an untaxed and uninsured car about for a purpose other than their intended use.

• Sad 1

The biggest con now is vehicles driving around with no MOT but they are taxed .  They probably tax them just before the MOT runs out and then drive the death trap around for another year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

i just told you 2022 LOL

I meant the bit Buck said about the manufacturer. But I guess it was the same time as other changes. 

Glad they’re spending time and energy taking us to the important post brexit sunlit uplands 🙄

43 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

The biggest con now is vehicles driving around with no MOT but they are taxed .  They probably tax them just before the MOT runs out and then drive the death trap around for another year.

Apnr shows all of that stuff doesn’t it?

48 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

The other things are the tax/mot exempt vehicles there is so much scope for all these vehicles to be bigger death traps than the more modern ones, not saying its right that there are un mot'd cars that should have them driving around but they have the potential to be more road worthy than the older ones

• Like 1

The evidence that MOTs make the roads safer is threadbare. 

Logic tells you if a car is inspected and passed as safe this must make the roads safer. But the stats don’t back this up at all. 

Mechanical failure accounts for around 2% of accidents in the UK. In countries without MOT it accounts for around… 2%

I suppose the MOT really only says it was working on that day and vehicles can dramatically fail at any time MOT’d or not. 

I don’t understand why old vehicles are exempt. 

Personally seeing bald tyres on large vehicles (especially HGVs, buses n coaches) gives me the heeebiejeebies. So new boots once a year is at least something.
There’s loads of them here in Spain compared with the uk but maybe the ITV (Spanish MOT) is more lenient. 

As for enforcing the new plate laws they just have to stick it on the MOT list. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yes but if you have garage plates on and are using them for their intended purpose your covered by them for tax insurance and MOT the car your driving doesn't need that. but doesn't mean you can nip over your mates house with them on as far as i'm aware.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes but if you have garage plates on and are using them for their intended purpose your covered by them for tax insurance and MOT the car your driving doesn't need that. but doesn't mean you can nip over your mates house with them on as far as i'm aware.

Boboneleg didn’t mention garage plates but that’s a good point I hadn’t even thought about it. 

22 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

As for enforcing the new plate laws they just have to stick it on the MOT list. 

It is an MOT failure same as it has always been for custom plates, if i went to the wrong MOT station my trail bikes would fail every time on the number plates 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

It is an MOT failure same as it has always been for custom plates, if i went to the wrong MOT station my trail bikes would fail every time on the number plates 

Yer I was referring to how they’d enforce the displaying of the manufacturer etc on the plate cos someone said it would be a mean police orifice to do you for that. Or words to that effect 

17 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer I was referring to how they’d enforce the displaying of the manufacturer etc on the plate cos someone said it would be a mean police orifice to do you for that. Or words to that effect 

I suppose that would be up to the copper if you got pulled you over, probably be used as a way of making things worse for you if you were acting like a cock to him/her

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Do APNR cameras really work  ?  I know someone who commutes to work in his car, MOT ran out in June .

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

Do APNR cameras really work  ?  I know someone who commutes to work in his car, MOT ran out in June .

I don't think they do that they just capture the information and store it to be used as evidence if required, i think their official use is to do with monitoring traffic flow

• Like 2

Had a quick look. The NPCC (the police) say it’s used for speed enforcement and by Law Enforcement Agencies to track VOIs vehicles of interest like a possible terrorist threat or drug running. These VOIs flag up on the system. 90% of the recorded info (which is kept for two years) is never accessed or reviewed. So there you go they don’t do mot tax or insurance automatically.

• Like 4