up coming trips planned?

MooN

anybody got any proper trips planned for this year?  I know @boboneleg has a good plan for a French trip this summer.  Im thinking about more than the usual or regular day trips. 

@Specs ?  another trip to equal the Nordkap saga?  anyone else attempting the North west 500 or whatever they call it?  I might have a 4 day trip on the cards for April but it depends on so many factors at the moment thet it's still on hold untill I know more. Otherwise I have 2 weeks off in first half of september but nothing planned yet, still looking for inspiration... 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MooN said:

anybody got any proper trips planned for this year?  I know @boboneleg has a good plan for a French trip this summer.  Im thinking about more than the usual or regular day trips. 

@Specs ?  another trip to equal the Nordkap saga?  anyone else attempting the North west 500 or whatever they call it?  I might have a 4 day trip on the cards for April but it depends on so many factors at the moment thet it's still on hold untill I know more. Otherwise I have 2 weeks off in first half of september but nothing planned yet, still looking for inspiration... 

As far as the bike goes.....nothing!

But as for the car it could be having an International trip to Poland on a Rescue Mission.

Does that mean I'm International Rescue?

Thunderbirds GIF by GerryAndersonTV

Getting the thermostat/temp sensor issue sorted in the car this week ready.

• Like 3

We were planning a trip to Pete's place, but it's now looking like he's going to move to the Netherlands, knowing that no one in their right mind wants to ride a bike there! 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

Just now, Tango said:

We were planning a trip to Pete's place, but it's now looking like he's going to move to the Netherlands, knowing that no one in their right mind wants to ride a bike there! 😂😂😂

That's shelved for the time being because of the situation in Ukraine Bob......because it's now a distinct possibility that my boy and grandkids could be heading this way.

So I'll be here whenever you come down.......but don't even think about it in July and August!

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to do a couple of trips.

One is getting on the bike and just going somewhere on small roads in good weather in summer, have no idea where though, or even if I'll venture away from Portugal much. Part of me wants to go somewhere new (new on a bike) like the Pyrenees and crossing France over to somewhere.

What I'm feeling like it's time for is Morocco in September / October, but apart from getting my passport renewed for that eventuality I have no real preparations to do, nor fixed plans regarding dates. A bike service before going and that's it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

One is getting on the bike and just going somewhere on small roads in good weather in summer, have no idea where though, or even if I'll venture away from Portugal much. Part of me wants to go somewhere new (new on a bike) like the Pyrenees and crossing France over to somewhere.

What I'm feeling like it's time for is Morocco in September / October, but apart from getting my passport renewed for that eventuality I have no real preparations to do, nor fixed plans regarding dates. A bike service before going and that's it. 

Pedro...... @Tango is thinking of heading this way! Any advice for him?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Pedro...... @Tango is thinking of heading this way! Any advice for him?

Not really, I don’t really know that area on a bike, but the pyrenees and Mediterranean coast from there to you have some amazing places to ride through. @Tango certainly has a weather app on his phone and he probably knows what he likes regarding heat. If it gets too hot just have some water and point the bike somewhere else with a swimming pool.
Regarding Pete, you can count on him to try and embarras you anyway he can!

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Not really, I don’t really know that area on a bike, but the pyrenees and Mediterranean coast from there to you have some amazing places to ride through. @Tango certainly has a weather app on his phone and he probably knows what he likes regarding heat. If it gets too hot just have some water and point the bike somewhere else with a swimming pool.
Regarding Pete, you can count on him to try and embarras you anyway he can!

didn't you get eaten by his dogs or something? 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

If you're ever over this way and need a stopover just let me know @Pedro. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well if my plan comes off and the weather is clement enough I'm planning on heading into @Tango country. A trip south via millau, free nights kip ( and drinking) at our base in Capestang and home via Ambert in the Auvergne. about 1500kms in all. I'm planning on doing it over 4 days cos I can't do huge distances in one hit anymore cos my knees and back wont take it and I'd rather take my time and only use the Autoroute in short sections to make ground so it'll be mostly Route Nationales and D roads. I reckon if I eat  from a supermarket at lunchtime and stay in Youth hostels ( Yeah!... youth hostels! :rofl: ) on nights 1 and 3  I can feed in a restaurant  in the evening and keep the cost down to about 85 € a day. depending on fuel costs at the time obviously. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, MooN said:

well if my plan comes off and the weather is clement enough I'm planning on heading into @Tango country. A trip south via millau, free nights kip ( and drinking) at our base in Capestang and home via Ambert in the Auvergne. about 1500kms in all. I'm planning on doing it over 4 days cos I can't do huge distances in one hit anymore cos my knees and back wont take it and I'd rather take my time and only use the Autoroute in short sections to make ground so it'll be mostly Route Nationales and D roads. I reckon if I eat  from a supermarket at lunchtime and stay in Youth hostels ( Yeah!... youth hostels! :rofl: ) on nights 1 and 3  I can feed in a restaurant  in the evening and keep the cost down to about 85 € a day. depending on fuel costs at the time obviously. 

As I said to @Pedro, if you need a stopover, just give me a shout. 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tango said:

cheers, but unless something very strange happens I'll kip on one of our boats at Capestang. I might come round and drink your coffee though if you're not too far away from there. 

• Like 2

Got three girlfriends that are keen to ride the long way round over to a mates place in Chatel (ski resort next to Avoriaz in the French Alps) which has been set for the end of April but I have a feeling the lack of a volunteer to take on all the crappy organising part of the deal means thatll get shelved for later on! If it happens then great if not when Mr Slowly and I ride the bikes back for their MOTS end of June we’re going to take our time and ride through the French Alps and stop off for a few days.

We’re going to Nick Sanders Mini Mach and if the weathers good will take some time to go round the coast n castles of Wales on our way.
October Im revving up to go to Morocco. Nothing major just Marrakesh via Casablanca in a zig zag fashion. Mr Slowly has more than warmed to the idea so.. 😬 🤞 

Also I really want to redo the NC500 I was blown away by the Wesr Coast, theres not another place with views like that but that might be a bit too much to squeeze in. We’ll see.

@Tango if you make it to Petes let me know Ill bring Mr Slowly over for a cup of tea or you’re welcome to have a break from the Ginge and come over to Salobrena.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MooN said:

When I get together with the Himalayan women theres usually about 12-15 of us and we stay in a Youth Hostel. Im amazed at the beautiful properties they have in some fantastic locations. Theyre not the horror they used to be donkeys ago by any stretch. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tango said:

im your way for 3 weeks in June , i'll stay with you Bob 👍

your be ok on the sofa for a few weeks mate wont you ?

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, MooN said:

I wanted to go back to Norway but this covid thing has messed up any plans I had. Have already done the NW500 or the best parts of it several times, and Fred will tell you that it's camper van central up there. I went up to Skye in a borrowed van over Xmas, thinking that it would be quiet, but everybody else must have had the same idea! Shit happens.

With fuel costing what it is, it makes my flesh creep just thinking how much it'd cost to do the trip that I did to Norway again. That was 6.5k miles. That's about 590l assuming 50 mpg. In Norway that's about £2/l, so about £1200. Not cheap when you factor in the increased cost of accommodation and food. If the conflict escalates or spreads, then any European travel plans are academic anyway, I'll have to go to Scotland again.

• Like 2