Motorbike camping

gymwitch

Ok so after watching all the available vids on youtube and reading the instructions that came with the kit, this is what unfolded......

I hoisted the rear of the bike on a disability hoist only enough so the bike was straight but being careful to make sure the back wheel was being supported by the floor !!! This part is very important because the wheel will drop if not supported underneath when you take the pins out.....😡

Anyhoo i also have a jack poised ready and waiting under the swing arm. This will be used to align the new dog bone doofa holes with the new settings.

Eventually i am able to undo the bolts. I must add that i am unable to use my left thumb completely atm due to trigger thumb and my right thumb isnt much better. Anyway after getting the nuts off i couldnt get the bolts out. On the vids though of course they slide out like a knife through bloody butter !!! Nope not budging. Now im bleeding from freshly skinned knuckles. Marvelous. Little voice in my head is screaming at me to hoist the bike up more. Tentatively hoist it up a bit more but keeping pressure under it cos thats what ive been told. Nothing. Stuck firmly in. Rings husband. He tells me to tap them out with plastic mallet. Does that and yes 👍 success....except now the collar thing is coming out too. Vids said not to let that happen. Starts tippy tapping those back in. Everytime i tap bolts out those collars come out too. Gets pissed off, lies on floor now under the bike and by feel started to turn the bolt out. Its working....feeling the bolt with my dodgy left cripple hand and turning it with pliars. When i stopped though to look the bloody collar thing was almost all the way out. FFS !!!! Tippy taps it back in but then all these little silver pins drop out the other side. 

Throws tools on the floor to commence a nuclear infused tantrum.

Went in. Made a brew. Seething. Goes back in housts the damned thing into the air and the bolts slid straight out 😫

The wheel didnt drop. Nothing bad happened 🙄 it all went swimmingly but now i need to replace this bearing. CAN I FIND WHAT THAT BLOODY BEARING IS !!!

I put it all back together regardless and its lowered by what feels a satisfactory amount.....now to find these bearings and fix it. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

Ok so after watching all the available vids on youtube and reading the instructions that came with the kit, this is what unfolded......

I hoisted the rear of the bike on a disability hoist only enough so the bike was straight but being careful to make sure the back wheel was being supported by the floor !!! This part is very important because the wheel will drop if not supported underneath when you take the pins out.....😡

Anyhoo i also have a jack poised ready and waiting under the swing arm. This will be used to align the new dog bone doofa holes with the new settings.

Eventually i am able to undo the bolts. I must add that i am unable to use my left thumb completely atm due to trigger thumb and my right thumb isnt much better. Anyway after getting the nuts off i couldnt get the bolts out. On the vids though of course they slide out like a knife through bloody butter !!! Nope not budging. Now im bleeding from freshly skinned knuckles. Marvelous. Little voice in my head is screaming at me to hoist the bike up more. Tentatively hoist it up a bit more but keeping pressure under it cos thats what ive been told. Nothing. Stuck firmly in. Rings husband. He tells me to tap them out with plastic mallet. Does that and yes 👍 success....except now the collar thing is coming out too. Vids said not to let that happen. Starts tippy tapping those back in. Everytime i tap bolts out those collars come out too. Gets pissed off, lies on floor now under the bike and by feel started to turn the bolt out. Its working....feeling the bolt with my dodgy left cripple hand and turning it with pliars. When i stopped though to look the bloody collar thing was almost all the way out. FFS !!!! Tippy taps it back in but then all these little silver pins drop out the other side. 

Went in. Made a brew. Seething. Goes back in housts the damned thing into the air and the bolts slid straight out 😫

The wheel didnt drop. Nothing bad happened 🙄 it all went swimmingly but now i need to replace this bearing. CAN I FIND WHAT THAT BLOODY BEARING IS !!!

I put it all back together regardless and its lowered by what feels a satisfactory amount.....now to find these bearings and fix it. 

That sucks. I used this this method- book mechanic, drink some tea, pay up. 

Have you tried out Fowlers part finder tool? Its not always correct and its sometimes a pita to find exactly what you want but it can be useful.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-IWCueOz9gIVS-rtCh3jEgeDEAAYASAAEgISzvD_BwE

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Have you tried out Fowlers part finder tool? Its not always correct and its sometimes a pita to find exactly what you want but it can be useful.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-IWCueOz9gIVS-rtCh3jEgeDEAAYASAAEgISzvD_BwE

Just pushing it round to mechanics now 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That part finder is spot on thanks. Found the bearing in question straight away !!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gymwitch said:

Tippy taps it back in but then all these little silver pins drop out the other side. 

If you mean the little steel pins that make up the rollers, do you think you are missing a single one of those, because they always seem like one is missing, but there is a gap in the ones I have seen. You just put a bed of grease in the sleeve and lay the pins back in, the grease holds them whilst you put the bolt back through.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, yen_powell said:

If you mean the little steel pins that make up the rollers, do you think you are missing a single one of those, because they always seem like one is missing, but there is a gap in the ones I have seen. You just put a bed of grease in the sleeve and lay the pins back in, the grease holds them whilst you put the bolt back through.

Its out of my hands now. I thought i had done damage so took it to a mechanic. Now im hoping my pathetic wage will cover it 🙄

• Like 3

Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

Have you dropped the front end as well by slackening the fork clamps and sliding them up a bit

Not yet. Ill do that when i get it back. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

Have you dropped the front end as well by slackening the fork clamps and sliding the forks up a bit

I was just about to ask that funnily enough!

david search GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

Monday is my day off 😑 

Bummer with the needles, must of had some tension on their somewhere.
I had a similar thing happen on an inner drive shaft joint on the car. Bloody needles everywhere but did get it all back together again.

• Like 2