Motorbike camping

gymwitch

My plan is to shuffle work round so that i can get two days off together. Once ive accomplished that and now that im dogless (struggling with this big time) i can load up snd bog off for a couple of days weather permitting. Sooo my question is can anyone give me some advice about loading my bike and riding with weight on. 

Im initially just going to put some clobber on it and ride round here where im used to but if theres hints and tips im in need of help and some encouragement really 🙏 ta very muchly 😊

Ohhh i have lightweight gear for the job. Slummit tent (feck off buckster) sleeping bag. Cooking stuff. So any hints and tips ta

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

My plan is to shuffle work round so that i can get two days off together. Once ive accomplished that and now that im dogless (struggling with this big time) i can load up snd bog off for a couple of days weather permitting. Sooo my question is can anyone give me some advice about loading my bike and riding with weight on. 

Im initially just going to put some clobber on it and ride round here where im used to but if theres hints and tips im in need of help and some encouragement really 🙏 ta very muchly 😊

Ohhh i have lightweight gear for the job. Slummit tent (feck off buckster) sleeping bag. Cooking stuff. So any hints and tips ta

I think @boboneleg and @Sir Fallsalot are familiar with this malarkey!

• Like 1

The best most consistently reliable advice Ive had has always come from @Motobiker but his he has finessed his knowledge over donkeys years so its vast, youll have to ask him something specific because otherwise he’d have to write a book! 

Most of the knowledge he imparted I followed because it was obviously right but I remember him explaining he has one big waterproof bag across the back of his bike bought to be the same width as his bike measured with panniers on, that way theres only one bag to carry and lash on and off the bike. I didn’t specifically ignore that advice I just happened to already own 4 small ones and the bag I fancied was very expensive so best see if I like this motorbike camping first ay? Lashing those 4 bags on and off the bike drove me nuts, took 5 times longer than necessary and they always slipped and required readjusting after a few miles. Now I have one big bag and just two quality straps. Wish someone had told me earlier.. oh .. err 😆 

• Haha 4

A lot depends on which bike you’re using. If you’re thinking of using your 400 then it could be difficult as sports bikes don’t really lend themselves to carrying a lot of luggage.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

A lot depends on which bike you’re using. If you’re thinking of using your 400 then it could be difficult as sports bikes don’t really lend themselves to carrying a lot of luggage.

On the 750

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The best most consistently reliable advice Ive had has always come from @Motobiker but his he has finessed his knowledge over donkeys years so its vast, youll have to ask him something specific because otherwise he’d have to write a book! 

Most of the knowledge he imparted I followed because it was obviously right but I remember him explaining he has one big waterproof bag across the back of his bike bought to be the same width as his bike measured with panniers on, that way theres only one bag to carry and lash on and off the bike. I didn’t specifically ignore that advice I just happened to already own 4 small ones and the bag I fancied was very expensive so best see if I like this motorbike camping first ay? Lashing those 4 bags on and off the bike drove me nuts, took 5 times longer than necessary and they always slipped and required readjusting after a few miles. Now I have one big bag and just two quality straps. Wish someone had told me earlier.. oh .. err 😆 

Like this: I use it specifically for my camping equipment, keeps it all in one place so there is never any need to go digging in the panniers for bits and pieces. Also have a bag in there for dirty clothes so they are always separate from the clean stuff.

5DAA140D-3C66-41F5-A981-6AB135B3D1FB.jpeg

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

Like this: I use it specifically for my camping equipment, keeps it all in one place so there is never any need to go digging in the panniers for bits and pieces. Also have a bag in there for dirty clothes so they are always separate from the clean stuff.

5DAA140D-3C66-41F5-A981-6AB135B3D1FB.jpeg

What is the turquoise thing on the bag?

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

What is the turquoise thing on the bag?

My towel, had a shower that same morning and when I packed up the bike I placed the damp towel across the bag and then the straps over it. So the towel dried and aired in the sun and air. Can’t always do that if the weathers damp, in that case I usually pop it in a drier while packing up, a euro is normally enough to dry a damp towel. This is easier and free.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gymwitch said:

Do you wear anything under your chaps or is it balls out? Chaps GIF by Holymatrimonty

I can see you have been thinking about that a lot.

• Haha 3

For me sleeping comfort is the most important part if I want enjoy not endure it and when packing space is at a premium its easy to sacrifice that for skinny mattresses or a horrible travel pillow. They work for some but not me.

Motorbiker was along the same lines and used a full size memory foam pillow which sounds crazy when space is at a premium but as he pointed out you can put it in the bottom of the bag and the weight crushes it down (I crush the air out of mine in one of those thin drysacs). Having a decent pillow and mattress is make or break when you want more than one night. I bought a shredded memory foam pillow, cut the case down to 3/4 size.

Mattress wise I tried LOADS and after looking up what worked best for avoiding back/neck/shoulder pain I bought the suggested cot AND mattress combo and I find them extremely comfortable. Im sure if you have a tent you already have gear youre going to use but Im mentioning them because they give exceptional comfort but pack up small. IMO for the comfort theyre worth the space, the mattress folds up much smaller than anything else Ive seen. Its comfortable enough that “5 more mins” 💤 is always on the cards 😆 

Im sure someone wise will be along in a minute to mention keeping the weighty stuff low and evenly distributed on both sides of the bike blah blah blah 😂 

Where are you planning to go? 👏 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QS9JMGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N4KK854/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ps they didnt recommend any specific cot and mattress combo this is just what I landed on after reading a million reviews, sometimes Im a right nerd 😂 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gymwitch said:

I also find myself in a similar position now, without a dog the world has opened up and it's a bit freaky....

Travelling is the plan....

Someone already mentioned the heavy weight low and the light high, but also remember to think about what you pack on the exhaust side.  I saw someone once pack their camp stove and fuel too close and well, you can imagine.

Excited for you and your new adventures. 🙂

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

My towel, had a shower that same morning and when I packed up the bike I placed the damp towel across the bag and then the straps over it. So the towel dried and aired in the sun and air. Can’t always do that if the weathers damp, in that case I usually pop it in a drier while packing up, a euro is normally enough to dry a damp towel. This is easier and free.

Ah yes I do a similar thing, I also have a black mesh washing machine bag that I put under a cargo net. Useful if merino wool smalls haven’t dried in time, which invariably they don’t if they’ve been hand washed. If theres a machine available its nice to know when you hand it over youll get all your smalls back.

68E76013-D301-4194-98DE-C05AAF61573F.jpeg.1cd22b8f8dc7136af94aab5123d96028.jpeg

After becoming a captive audience with no choice but to pay exorbitant prices for bad food at one place in Scotland I also adopted your method of checking for a nearby supermarket. Id rather have cheese, chorizo and a nice bottle of plonk than get fleeced. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I also find myself in a similar position now, without a dog the world has opened up and it's a bit freaky....

Travelling is the plan....

Someone already mentioned the heavy weight low and the light high, but also remember to think about what you pack on the exhaust side.  I saw someone once pack their camp stove and fuel too close and well, you can imagine.

Excited for you and your new adventures. 🙂

Im excited for you as well, cant wait for the Grasshopper Flies series! 

ps yes your damn right and dont pack perishable food (and definitely not chocolate) on the exhaust side.. dont ask 😆 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Im excited for you as well, cant wait for the Grasshopper Flies series! 

Thanks,

ohhhhhh, Grasshopper Flies, now that you mention that, I might just need a new name for my new adventures......

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Looks good 👍 similar sort of thing. Ultimately I went with the one with most 5 star reviews just because theres so many on the market it can be hard to choose between them. The cot and mattress together is a revelation though cos I before I was waking up with aches and pains I didnt even know I had yet… but its a warning theyre in the post 😬… where is that yoga dvd 😂

• Like 2