Motorbike camping

gymwitch

TLDR I like camping.

If you want to motorcycle tour but dont want to stick slavishly to a fixed itinerary then camping is an essential weapon. Reading tripadvisor reviews everyday before you book somewhere to make sure youre not handing over muchas moola for a bad hospitality is boring and its not many days before you get a bit fed up explaining to whatever hotel owner that day brings what youre doing and where youre going, usually they then treat you to an excruciatingly long life story letting you know just how awesome they are or sympathetic you’re supposed to be in their direction. Gets tiresome. And dont get me started on the food 😂 

Tent- put it up and please yourself. £10 pls. Marvellous.

The tea and coffees good, the bedding’s just right, the pillow is lump free, you dont have to be at breakfast at a specific time so you can lie in til you want to get going, you dont have to talk to anyone if you dont want to and its no big deal if you want to stay another day or two. It also means you dont have to book ahead and that means if you want an extra day to go and see something you didnt know about until you got there you can because your carrying what you need.

Dont get me wrong if its miserable and pissing down then I wont argue about running to the nearest hotel but you want to go far or for a long period you soon get sick of hotels. Im guessing its detractors have never tried travelling by purely motorbike for extended periods. Money aside (if youre lucky enough to be able to put it aside) and the weathers agreeable the peace, quiet and flexibility of camping is surprisingly good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gymwitch said:

Ahhhh thanks !!! I dont have any sleeping stuff yet so this is spot on thanks. Im heading off to windermere somewhere around there as its only an hour away. Any sleeping bag recommendations? Not a mummy one though. Freak me out those things !!!

Im afraid the sleeping bag thing is a minefield because everyone’s sleeping comfort zone temperature isnt the same. I get cold so I have the warmest sub zero sleeping bag and a silk liner which I use most of the year, that would be a nightmare for most people! Im afraid its a suck it and see. 

I can say the expensive cotton sleeping bag I brought is a massive NOOO, unsurprisingly cotton sucks up condensation! 

I started off with two thinner sleeping bag and from the combination of layers available quickly discovered what warmth rating suited me then read lots of reviews. 

Do you have a water carry bag?

How many nights are you going for?

ps I finally bought a mummy sleeping bag against my better judgement.. its horrible, I had to sleep with it undone 😆 

• Like 3

this picture is actually the inside of one of @Buckster panniers... the other one has an ensuite and a restaurant in it... when he puts his top box on he's gets use of the pool and bingo hall and various other entertainment facilities 

image.png.4a79ed65c842d757367456e7e9f46886.png

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

TLDR I like camping.

If you want to motorcycle tour but dont want to stick slavishly to a fixed itinerary then camping is an essential weapon. Reading tripadvisor reviews everyday before you book somewhere to make sure youre not handing over muchas moola for a bad hospitality is boring and its not many days before you get a bit fed up explaining to whatever hotel owner that day brings what youre doing and where youre going, usually they then treat you to an excruciatingly long life story letting you know just how awesome they are or sympathetic you’re supposed to be in their direction. Gets tiresome. And dont get me started on the food 😂 

Tent- put it up and please yourself. £10 pls. Marvellous.

The tea and coffees good, the bedding’s just right, the pillow is lump free, you dont have to be at breakfast at a specific time so you can lie in til you want to get going, you dont have to talk to anyone if you dont want to and its no big deal if you want to stay another day or two. It also means you dont have to book ahead and that means if you want an extra day to go and see something you didnt know about until you got there you can because your carrying what you need.

Dont get me wrong if its miserable and pissing down then I wont argue about running to the nearest hotel but you want to go far or for a long period you soon get sick of hotels. Im guessing its detractors have never tried travelling by purely motorbike for extended periods. Money aside (if youre lucky enough to be able to put it aside) and the weathers agreeable the peace, quiet and flexibility of camping is surprisingly good.

sam winchester yawn GIF

• Haha 4

So it seems to me that camping is comprised of spending money just to have panic attacks in your mummy bags, pissing in bottles (or in Bob's case his sleeping bag), while laying in muddy fields, and having to cart loads of shit around on your bike to do it?

You guys aren't doing much of a job to convince me, @Six30, and @skyrider not to book a hotel you know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Im afraid the sleeping bag thing is a minefield because everyone’s sleeping comfort zone temperature can be different. I get cold so I have the warmest sub zero sleeping bag and a silk liner which I use most of the year, that would be a nightmare for most people! Im afraid its a suck it and see. 

I can say the expensive cotton sleeping bag I brought is a massive NOOO, unsurprisingly cotton sucks up condensation! 

I started off with two thinner sleeping bag and from the combination of layers available quickly discovered what warmth rating suited me then read lots of reviews. 

Do you have a water carry bag?

How many nights are you going for?

ps I finally bought a mummy sleeping bag against my better judgement.. its horrible, I had to sleep with it undone 😆 

Only one night. Ive jiggled stuff so i can take off sunday morn and get back anytime monday. I want to do it regularly though. Also want to get some lake swimming in too. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

So it seems to me that camping is comprised of spending money just to have panic attacks in your mummy bags, pissing in bottles (or in Bob's case his sleeping bag), while laying in muddy fields, and having to cart loads of shit around on your bike to do it?

You guys aren't doing much of a job to convince me, @Six30, and @skyrider not to book a hotel you know.

definitely not

Just now, gymwitch said:

Only one night. Ive jiggled stuff so i can take off sunday morn and get back anytime monday. I want to do it regularly though. Also want to get some lake swimming in too. 

lake swimming you say..

.Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 3

Just now, gymwitch said:

Sounds great. Are you going on your tod? I ask because if you have two bikes then space isnt really such an issue.

• Like 3

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Sounds great. Are you going on your tod? I ask because if you have two bikes then space isnt really such an issue.

hope not... you shouldn't  go lake swimming on your own 

• Like 3

On 01/01/2022 at 19:55, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I also find myself in a similar position now, without a dog the world has opened up and it's a bit freaky....

Travelling is the plan....

Someone already mentioned the heavy weight low and the light high, but also remember to think about what you pack on the exhaust side.  I saw someone once pack their camp stove and fuel too close and well, you can imagine.

Excited for you and your new adventures. 🙂

Its a strange feeling and i feel it most in the house. One of the main reasons i want to get away regularly. We will get there it just takes time doesn't it. 

Im excited and need to learn to use the gopro so i can take you all with me 😊

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You’re reading a thread from someone asking advice on motorbike camping.. get yourself back to the “I drove a van somewhere” thread, thats far more informative 😆 

Star Trek Wow GIF

yes GIF by Offspring on TEN

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

Its a strange feeling and i feel it most in the house. One of the main reasons i want to get away regularly. We will get there it just takes time doesn't it. 

Im excited and need to learn to use the gopro so i can take you all with me 😊

I keep having "dog moments", feel like I have forgotten something, or should check on her and say hi.....

Last night I thought I heard her drinking water in the kitchen, so weird.  The house sure does take on a different feeling. 😐

I love my GoPros and making videos.  I find it fun for myself, too look back at my adventures.  🙂

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You’re reading a thread from someone asking advice on motorbike camping.. get yourself back to the “I drove a van somewhere” thread, thats far more informative 😆 

Star Trek Wow GIF

Cena Ooo GIF

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Just moi 😊

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I keep having "dog moments", feel like I have forgotten something, or should check on her and say hi.....

Last night I thought I heard her drinking water in the kitchen, so weird.  The house sure does take on a different feeling. 😐

I love my GoPros and making videos.  I find it fun for myself, too look back at my adventures.  🙂

Yes that feeling like you have forgotten something !!! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Do you have kitchen stuff like stove and kettle?

Speaking of Kettles.....I just spoiled myself and got the Kelly Kettle Scout Ultimate Kit

It's a stick stove and boils water super fast...... 🙂 ...and it has a whistle!

This is not a bike camping kit, but still very nice!!!

kelly-kettle-stainless-steel-ultimate-scout-kit-coec.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gymwitch said:

Ahhhh thanks !!! I dont have any sleeping stuff yet so this is spot on thanks. Im heading off to windermere somewhere around there as its only an hour away. Any sleeping bag recommendations? Not a mummy one though. Freak me out those things !!!

Snugpak, made in Britain and light but oh so warm , the Military use them :littleguy:

https://www.snugpak.com/sleeping/best-sellers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gymwitch said:

Yep got a burner thingie. 

Jolly good. The only thing Id add is have a go at packing your bike well before it’s go time. It can be a anywhere between a bit of a faff and a figgin nightmare discovering- it doesnt all fit, the weights too high up, you really need a couple of extra straps, you wish youd bought that compact thingamyjig, what the hell are you going to take out 😂 If you do it a few days before its not hassle to fix whatever doesnt work.

Also camp near where you will be peeing but not in the main drag where all the other campers walk towards the toilets- boozers are not quiet pissers 😆 Pitch your tent with your door facing the way you’re comfortable ie I face my tent door away from other people so I can unzip it and laze there looking at my bike for as long as I like 😊 

• Like 4