The West Country to Salobrena Spain

Slowlycatchymonkey

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Umm anyone know if I need a specific chain? The only chain thing I know is buy DID 😂

525x110 I believe but I can check for sure in a moment

7 hours ago, XTreme said:

Shit.......that's a pain.

Get the bike into a dealer down there and let them sort it!

Yer, so far been waiting 3 hours for recovery! Im in Salobrena now in the supermarket getting supplies, thinks best get Mr Slowly a nice bottle of whisky! 😂 🥃 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer, so far been waiting 3 hours for recovery! Im in Salobrena now in the supermarket getting, thinks best get Mr Slowly a nice bottle of whisky! 😂 🥃 

Always a risk taking an unknown bike on any sort of long trip.......cos you never know!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Umm anyone know if I need a specific chain? The only chain thing I know is buy DID 😂

The size should be written on the chain side plates if you're lucky. You want the size and the number of links.

• Like 3

Well made it here only took me 8hrs and poor ol Mr Slowly still at sea, he waited 4 hours for recovery, they picked him up 30 ish mins ago and are taking him n the bike back to Granada so once he’s there and its sorted he’ll have an hour taxi ride back here! 

Bit hacked off cos its taken yonks to get all this together and I really badly wanted Mr Slowlys first experience to be a good’n! I’ll wait til tomoz and start taking the piss thatll probably fix things 😂 

The Traffico Control (traffic police) turned up on mobikes, one of them was nice the other brrrr all I can say is Im glad I had the right plates n paperwork cos he was looking for a nic! 

Update- Just got a txt from Mr Slowly he said the garage guys are really nice and will try n get it sorted tomoz 🤞 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well made it here only took me 8hrs and poor ol Mr Slowly still at sea, he waited 4 hours for recovery, they picked him up 30 ish mins ago and are taking him n the bike back to Granada so once he’s there and its sorted he’ll have an hour taxi ride back here! 

Bit hacked off cos its taken yonks to get all this together and I really badly wanted Mr Slowlys first experience to be a good’n! I’ll wait til tomoz and start taking the piss thatll probably fix things 😂 

The Traffico Control (traffic police) turned up on mobikes, one of them was nice the other brrrr all I can say is Im glad I had the right plates n paperwork cos he was looking for a nic! 

Update- Just got a txt from Mr Slowly he said the garage guys are really nice and will try n get it sorted tomoz 🤞 

Do you know what garage he was taken to?

Could you have got a split link to fit, just to get him back? 

I had a chain snap on my Bonneville back when, the danger is that it lashes a lump out of your leg or wraps itself around the rear sprocket and locks the back wheel! Fortunately mine just doubled over the front sprocket and stopped the engine, but didn't damage the engine cases.

Hopefully you'll get it fixed OK.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, boboneleg said:

What year is Mr Slowly's bike ?  I reckon it's 102 links but not sure of the pitch ?

No idea 😬

But the garage is happy to sort it sharpish so Ill not worry about it 😊

13 hours ago, XTreme said:

That chain doesn't look too clever......is it the OEM one?

Yep the original one it had only done 2400 miles!

13 hours ago, Tango said:

Could you have got a split link to fit, just to get him back? 

I had a chain snap on my Bonneville back when, the danger is that it lashes a lump out of your leg or wraps itself around the rear sprocket and locks the back wheel! Fortunately mine just doubled over the front sprocket and stopped the engine, but didn't damage the engine cases.

Hopefully you'll get it fixed OK.

You read my mind, I didnt have one and didnt know how to articulate we probably just need a split link in spanish plus once the recovery is involved theres no money in it for anyone to just fix it 🙄

Yep when I clocked it was the chain I had a moment of nausea thinking about what could of just happened!

13 hours ago, XTreme said:

Do you know what garage he was taken to?

Royal Enfield in Granada, probably the best place for it! He said they were really lovely. He introduced the guy to apple translate (works so ridiculously well it makes Google translate look very archaic) and after 20 mins chatting the guy sorted a taxi, gave him a hug and said tomorrow or friday at the latest! 

• Like 4

My last dominator engine purchase was from a bike that snapped the chain. Because he was hard on the power the chain bunched up around the front sprocket and split the engine casing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Snapped chain. Dunno how it’s only 30bhp, the bikes only done 2400 miles and it wasn’t the spring link that broke. All I can think is well it’s Royal Enfield.

Was it correctly tensioned and well lubed when you left?

32 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Was it correctly tensioned and well lubed when you left?

I would have to say given the outcome that it wasnt. It looks to be in a bit of a state doesnt it?! 
The mechanic preparing the bikes for the trip was knackered and ran out of time cos the bigger jobs took much longer than expected (the pannier rack for the Himalayan didnt fit and extending brackets had to be made) so I suspect the chain didnt get a look in. We definitely didnt take care of it 🙄😱😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I would have to say given the outcome that it wasnt. It looks to be in a bit of a state doesnt it?! 
The mechanic preparing the bikes for the trip was knackered and ran out of time cos the bigger jobs took much longer than expected (the pannier rack for the Himalayan didnt fit and extending brackets had to be made) so I suspect the chain didnt get a look in. We definitely didnt take care of it 🙄😱😂

Trouble is people lie, When i bought my old Africa Twin the guy said it had new chain and sprockets which when i checked them it seemed to be true and i believed him but a few months later i discovered he had fitted new sprockets but just cleaned the old chain which was totally knackered. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Trouble is people lie, When i bought my old Africa Twin the guy said it had new chain and sprockets which when i checked them it seemed to be true and i believed him but a few months later i discovered he had fitted new sprockets but just cleaned the old chain which was totally knackered. 

Lying is so annoying, it wastes everyones time, creates bad feeling and in some cases puts their health/life at risk. Usually motivated by the filthy lucre. 
They should tax lying and bonus then we’d finally be getting some use out of our politician’s 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

And it looks a very low quality chain as well......but most manufacturers do tend to skip on OEM fitments. My Beemer's chain is pretty flimsy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Lying is so annoying, it wastes everyones time, creates bad feeling and in some cases puts their health/life at risk. Usually motivated by the filthy lucre. 
They should tax lying and bonus then we’d finally be getting some use out of our politician’s 😂

Yes thing is he still would have made the sale if he had told me the chain needs looking at and i would have had more respect for him and what made it worse for me is he was a fucking copper ass hole is all i think now

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes thing is he still would have made the sale if he had told me the chain needs looking at and i would have had more respect for him and what made it worse for me is he was a fucking copper ass hole is all i think now

Yep its a sickly kind of feeling, you have been done. When theres only a few bob involved its such an ahole thing to do. When its a significant sum that would effect someones future (ie leave them potless and homeless) I can get my head round why someone lies but the bike stuff thats just a shitty way to behave. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, XTreme said:

And it looks a very low quality chain as well......but most manufacturers do tend to skip on OEM fitments. My Beemer's chain is pretty flimsy.

Hes got a nice chain now and Guillermo (I think that’s pronounced William?) at the RE dealership in Granada is a really f’in nice guy, a good connection to have. Said if there is anything at all he can help us with just get in touch. 
TBH him and the pick up truck driver were so kind it really did turn Mr Slowlys crappy day... well that n the hot food and large whisky waiting for him 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1