Show us your Bike!

Admin

3 minutes ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to harangue all your small-daughter-having friends into getting their little girls motorbikes and encouraging them give it a red hot go! 

Don't see many ladies out on bigger bikes here in Spain @Grace (BikeHedonia).

In the cities there's loads of them on little scooters and mopeds.......so they can ride, and some of them don't hang about on them either.

But as for taking it further it's very rare to see any.

20 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Don't see many ladies out on bigger bikes here in Spain @Grace (BikeHedonia).

In the cities there's loads of them on little scooters and mopeds.......so they can ride, and some of them don't hang about on them either.

But as for taking it further it's very rare to see any.

I think riding a motorbike for pleasure is a different skill set than getting around town on a scooter - certainly here in south east asia, every woman can ride a scooter (usually also off road to the village, loaded with a couple of children, her neighbour, 3 chickens and one pig). When you go to transfer to an actual motorbike, they have fantastic roadcraft when in dense traffic but the skills required for managing a taller, heavier motorbike at higher speeds, with bigger wheels, different steering geometry, different centrifugal dynamics, a clutch and proper gearing - these are quite different skills that need to be learnt. And I find that most ladies here, who have been riding scooters since they were children, still find that switch very intimidating. Is it because it's just new? Is it because all the men in their lives have told them that girls can't ride big motorbikes? I dunno. But I find that confidence and risk appetite are really influential factors when it comes to learning to ride a big bike and, more importantly, whether you enjoy doing it.

Whereas I LOVE watching little girls fanging around on pee wee 50s like they're indestructible. They're so small that they don't even know that apparently girls can't ride motorbikes. They're just little wild animals, having fun, learning about physics in the dirt, and I absolutely love it. I reckon, teach your daughter to ride dirt bikes with the boys and even if she never grows up to be a rider, she'll never be intimidated...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

I think riding a motorbike for pleasure is a different skill set than getting around town on a scooter - certainly here in south east asia, every woman can ride a scooter (usually also off road to the village, loaded with a couple of children, her neighbour, 3 chickens and one pig). When you go to transfer to an actual motorbike, they have fantastic roadcraft when in dense traffic but the skills required for managing a taller, heavier motorbike at higher speeds, with bigger wheels, different steering geometry, different centrifugal dynamics, a clutch and proper gearing - these are quite different skills that need to be learnt. And I find that most ladies here, who have been riding scooters since they were children, still find that switch very intimidating. Is it because it's just new? Is it because all the men in their lives have told them that girls can't ride big motorbikes? I dunno. But I find that confidence and risk appetite are really influential factors when it comes to learning to ride a big bike and, more importantly, whether you enjoy doing it.

Whereas I LOVE watching little girls fanging around on pee wee 50s like they're indestructible. They're so small that they don't even know that apparently girls can't ride motorbikes. They're just little wild animals, having fun, learning about physics in the dirt, and I absolutely love it. I reckon, teach your daughter to ride dirt bikes with the boys and even if she never grows up to be a rider, she'll never be intimidated...

The strange things is there's a few Spanish ladies that have done well in motorcycle sport though like Laia Sanz and María Herrera.

17 hours ago, XTreme said:

The strange things is there's a few Spanish ladies that have done well in motorcycle sport though like Laia Sanz and María Herrera.

Not strange at all! No lack of talent and ability in the pool. Laia and Maria are absolutely shit-hot riders who've been ripping it up their whole lives and, obviously, their skills absolutely rock. My observations were more focused on possible opportunity/confidence barriers that could be subtly deterring larger numbers of women from getting into motorcycling for pleasure, especially when we're coming to it as adults rather than being lucky enough to have early opportunities to give it a go. There's Laia and Maria and then there's us normal people ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, boboneleg said:

The girl who rode her Fireblade up the Sommelier in Italy (an off road track) with her partner on pillion (a guy) gets my vote :classic_cool:

https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/france/8294-col-del-sommeiller.html

Absolutely!

I also love riding around Laos on my 690 with random guys on the back of my bike, holding the shopping... the surprised looks from local teenage girls and old ladies are priceless. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

How old do they need to be for that @Tym

I think its 25 years in Connecticut....  325e, 1964 Wheel Horse and my GTR qualify  now, the KLR should by default of the fact its a KLR. lol ?‍?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/05/2020 at 11:42, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to harangue all your small-daughter-having friends into getting their little girls motorbikes and encouraging them give it a red hot go! 

ehem... I have 3 teenage daughters, looking for someone to persuade them...N0 1 has kinda lost interest and is off to uni this year, N0's 2a and 2b  being twins, haven't done so much pillion as N01 did cos once they were to big to fit in the panniers, they just fought about who's turn it was so I kinda gave up...

I am slowly weaning Madame back onto the passenger seat now that the girls are big enough to not kill each other if we leave them alone for an afternoon. 

I was impressed to see the number of girls riding the other day when we went out though, it looks like the next generation will have more female riders.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, boboneleg said:

It still looks pretty 'green' there Chris .

it is mate, very. nobody has been out cutting grass and trees and hadges for 2 months of spring so its all a bit wild and wooly and very green 

Start off with Bruce's favorite GS - Flames

1starbux.jpg

Then, a fun one to hooligan on:

IMG_3462.JPG

This was a big improvement in offroad "stuff" - the Rallye

IMG_7818.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Snow has cleared now though?

In places it has, although a lot of the roads aren't plowed yet in an effort to keep the hikers from assembling in large groups - part of the Covid-19 efforts. Kinda sucks. They are supposed to open at the end of June, but we'll see.

14 minutes ago, Earache said:

In places it has, although a lot of the roads aren't plowed yet in an effort to keep the hikers from assembling in large groups - part of the Covid-19 efforts. Kinda sucks. They are supposed to open at the end of June, but we'll see.

Yeh I've seen quite a few shots of extreme conditions over the years there......but it looks a great place to ride.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Yeh I've seen quite a few shots of extreme conditions over the years there......but it looks a great place to ride.

It's not bad - ya just have to like a bit of snow - my back porch about 4 weeks ago....

That was probably our last snow of the year up here.

porch.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1