Pedro's food

Pedro

Something that will make a lot of the pie from a tin eaters on here vomit 😆 

Having been into making food as far back as I can remember, its rare that I find something I’ve never cooked. I’ve eaten this many times but not bought it. It’s never been available in the UK and at £20 a pack with its monstrous overtures I can see why its not popular.

Definitely a Pedro type food I think. Won’t be slicing it and coating with olive oil n salt because as untrendy as it is I just don’t like the flavour of olive oil. Might char it with a bit of paprika. 

Any other suggestions?

81973ADC-40E7-49A1-87D0-565060230F83.thumb.jpeg.90ac0a8037ad78baa2a6faaab485acb5.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Something that will make a lot of the pie from a tin eaters on here vomit 😆 

Having been into making food as far back as I can remember, its rare that I find something I’ve never cooked. I’ve eaten this many times but not bought it. It’s never been available in the UK and at £20 a pack with its monstrous overtures I can see why its not popular.

Definitely a Pedro type food I think. Won’t be slicing it and coating with olive oil n salt because as untrendy as it is I just don’t like the flavour of olive oil. Might char it with a bit of paprika. 

Any other suggestions?

81973ADC-40E7-49A1-87D0-565060230F83.thumb.jpeg.90ac0a8037ad78baa2a6faaab485acb5.jpeg

Starting from raw, to make it tasty you need olive oil and garlic and small taters and the oven. That's not your thing until you try it properly done, you should.

Do I understand correctly and is it already steamed and ready to eat? If all there is inside is water use that to make a properly nice rice, like so: 

Boiled or steamed and served with paprika is very popular in Galicia, it's also plain and tasteless and boring as fuck, and does no justice to killing an octopus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Starting from raw, to make it tasty you need olive oil and garlic and small taters and the oven. That's not your thing until you try it properly done, you should.

Do I understand correctly and is it already steamed and ready to eat? If all there is inside is water use that to make a properly nice rice, like so: 

So what your saying is it tastes like shit so you add a load of crap to it to make it slightly more palatable, i knew it :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

Happy to try it with a more neutral oil. I just find the taste of olive oil (no matter how expensive or the perceived quality) overpowering. 

Raw octopus over here would be an unlikely find without resorting to online ordering which I’m not happy to do… fish in the post.. no thanks 🤮 

So octopus rice looks the likely outcome. Cheers for the link. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

So what your saying is it tastes like shit so you add a load of crap to it to make it slightly more palatable, i knew it :classic_laugh:

I was brought up with that idea. That foreigners have to add spices and flavouring because their produce was poor.  

Seems hilarious now :rofl:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Not at all, it's perfectly nice cooked over coal with just salt. But it's naturally tough so a long cooking time is better, you could say the same about some beef.

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I was brought up with that idea. That foreigners have to add spices and flavouring because their produce was poor.  

The video I posted uses the meat to give flavor to the rice primarily, it's the other way around, and the result is a very rich dish if make properly. We look at the UK in the same way with their sauces and bland stuff.

Anyway, you have a pre steamed octopus in a bag, look forward to hear how that's better than something frozen from fresh and defrosted before cooking.

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Happy to try it with a more neutral oil. I just find the taste of olive oil (no matter how expensive or the perceived quality) overpowering. 

Raw octopus over here would be an unlikely find without resorting to online ordering which I’m not happy to do… fish in the post.. no thanks 🤮 

So octopus rice looks the likely outcome. Cheers for the link. 

Octopus is maybe only kind of meat that naturally works better frozen and defrosted for an unexperienced cook since it breaks some of the fibers and makes it softer. A bigger animal might be more flavorful but difficult to cook, it'll vary from hard to soft to hard again as it cooks.

Regarding the olive oil, better quality is always better but there are very different flavors. Normally you'll find it stronger and a little more imposing if it comes from most of spain and lower portugal, from dry plains where it easy to plant in industrial farming resorting to intensive watering. Try some from a harsh climate and mountainous area and you still might not like it but the taste is completely different. Normally olive trees in new farming produce oil after 3 or 4 years of intensive watering, can't compare that with 200 year old trees that don't get watered.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

We look at the UK in the same way with their sauces and bland stuff.

Yes I know funny isn’t it 😆

5 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Anyway, you have a pre steamed octopus in a bag, look forward to hear how that's better than something frozen from fresh and defrosted before cooking.

I have to to say I’ve really struggled with the quality of frozen fish/shellfish in Spain. It reminds me of the stuff we used to get over here about 20 years ago. Over cooked or over salted and totally water logged. The prepared prawns are just awful. I’ve tried many and they’re all coated in layers and layers of ice, totally tasteless. Horribly watery affairs. 

But I guess thats because there are fish counters everywhere in Spain with fresh fish so the frozen stuff has remained a second class product. Here the fish counters disappeared a long time ago, then the complaints about the quality of the frozen alternative started and it improved immeasurably. 

Now we are losing our butchers and meat counters as well 😔

17 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Regarding the olive oil, better quality is always better but there are very different flavors. Normally you'll find it stronger and a little more imposing if it comes from most of spain and lower portugal, from dry plains where it easy to plant in industrial farming resorting to intensive watering. Try some from a harsh climate and mountainous area and you still might not like it but the taste is completely different. Normally olive trees in new farming produce oil after 3 or 4 years of intensive watering, can't compare that with 200 year old trees that don't get watered.

Have been on an olive oil tasting course, thats how much I want to like it. But I guess sometimes our palates just perceive something as wrong. Odd because I love olives 😆

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I have to to say I’ve really struggled with the quality of frozen fish/shellfish in Spain.

Spain is shit, really, there you go. There's a lot of food I hate in Spain.

And why are you buying precooked frozen crap? Buy ingredients raw and fresh or raw and frozen when fresh, but unless you're buying something exotic that comes from far away there's really no need for it?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Spain is shit, really, there you go. There's a lot of food I hate in Spain.

I dont understand, the Spanish love the Portuguese and vice versa don’t they? 

21 minutes ago, Pedro said:

And why are you buying precooked frozen crap? Buy ingredients raw and fresh or raw and frozen when fresh, but unless you're buying something exotic that comes from far away there's really no need for it?

Frozen prawns over here are pretty good. I didn’t know the frozen stuff over there was so crap.

They are exotic, most shellfish comes from far flung shores.

Why buy frozen at all? Because when you’re running the catering for a family that consumes large amounts you need flexibility in your weekly menu.  So you find quality frozen ingredients, here prawns are one of those ingredients.

Its that or you have to eat whatever you pick up on the day and buying that way doesn’t generally add up to a balanced weekly diet and it adds a ridiculous amount of extra time to your already long day.

I certainly won’t be buying anymore frozen fish/shellfish in Spain!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I dont understand, the Spanish love the Portuguese and vice versa don’t they? 

Not really how I would put it, maybe more or less like the Scottish and English, if the English were louder

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

Not really how I would put it, maybe more or less like the Scottish and English, if the English were louder

Was sarcasm. Every nation reserves their greatest dislike for their neighbours.

You always get the greatest warnings about the people who are in closest proximity, tis human nature. 

rockos modern life nicksplat GIF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Was sarcasm. Every nation reserves their greatest dislike for their neighbours.

You always get the greatest warnings about the people who are in closest proximity, tis human nature. 

rockos modern life nicksplat GIF

We were never best friends with the spaniards, nor they ours, much more of an alliance between Portugal and England than to Spain. Oldest alliance ever!

If you really talk to people on both sides you’ll find out we’re very different,  don’t really know or care to know what happens on the other side of the border, except that they’re mostly chauvinist idiots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2