Dakar Rally

Grasshopper

21 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Hi ?

I know you are new here so I will be nice......

@XTreme keep them in line boss man ? 

All dealt with Michelle.......and without the need to drum up false charges as is the case with some places!

Tell 'em @Tym

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, XTreme said:

All dealt with Michelle.......and without the need to drum up false charges as is the case with some places!

Tell 'em @Tym

I was drunk when i posted only assholes ride GS's in the Dakar i swear. :littleguy:

• Haha 2

A couple of the blokes I go riding with down here have a friend doing it this year. He’s a privateer and it certainly takes some commitment to raise the funds, an unwavering determination to push on when the going gets tough and, of course, a shit load of ability.

Keep your eye out for No84 Neil Hawker. He did it last year but had an accident that prevented him from continuing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Hi ?

I know you are new here so I will be nice......

@XTreme keep them in line boss man ? 

thanks for being nice , im of a very nervy disposition .

• Haha 2

What i like about the Dakar now is the video footage is so damn good, this is the best 15 minutes of motorcycling I've seen and I've just looked out the window and its fucking snowing like hell so no motorcycling tomorrow for me ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I don't think moto Guzzi produced a rally bike so they modified a road bike and it being shaft drive probably had to stick with the rear wheel 

You should have at least been nominated for MOTY back in 2020, you know cool stuff.....?  

• Haha 1

I was walking around the BMF show years ago and there was a bloke standing all on his own by a BMW rally bike, no one seemed interested in him. I went and spoke to him and had a sit on his bike. I left shortly after he talked about going over his handlebars and breaking his pubic bone. I walked with my legs crossed for about 20 minutes afterwards, felt a bit queasy. That was John Deacon who died a few years later. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

A mate who I use to know has an ex John Deacon KTM660 Rallye bike.  It's the real McCoy and I've ridden it, it's a bloody animal to ride.  God knows how they hang onto those things for 14 days in the desert :classic_cool:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

A mate who I use to know has an ex John Deacon KTM660 Rallye bike.  It's the real McCoy and I've ridden it, it's a bloody animal to ride.  God knows how they hang onto those things for 14 days in the desert :classic_cool:

I was thinking about the time i rode the British from around Pontypool to Blaenavon  its about 5.5 mile long quite technical and i was pushing myself along it. About half way i started thinking when is it this going to fucking end LOL and these guys are doing that for 500 miles at a time. Done 500 miles straight on uk roads with a mix of unclassified roads to motorways once and that almost killed me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I was thinking about the time i rode the British from around Pontypool to Blaenavon  its about 5.5 mile long quite technical and i was pushing myself along it. About half way i started thinking when is it this going to fucking end LOL and these guys are doing that for 500 miles at a time. Done 500 miles straight on uk roads with a mix of unclassified roads to motorways once and that almost killed me.

I think I remember that , you went to the Lake District and back in one day ?

13 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I think I remember that , you went to the Lake District and back in one day ?

That's right Bob. i know some on here will say that's nothing, in the US where you have thousands of miles of open roads i would agree but here in the UK its different riding that distance as you know Bob. It was 580 ish miles if i remember right

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

I searched John Deacon on Youtube and up came a 1998 Cambrian Rally highlight video with a brilliant commentary. I'd forgotten he used to do those as well. I know I was there and he mentions 3 people I was there with, Strange Dave, John Perk (Perky) and Jackie Mawhood, but I must have been too slow to get near a camera. Worth watching just to see Pat Tighe muscling his Africa Twin through the boggy bits and the Transalp with a customised fairing, customised by leaving a large piece in the welsh scenerey by the look of it.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I searched John Deacon on Youtube and up came a 1998 Cambrian Rally highlight video with a brilliant commentary. I'd forgotten he used to do those as well. I know I was there and he mentions 3 people I was there with, Strange Dave, John Perk (Perky) and Jackie Mawhood, but I must have been too slow to get near a camera. Worth watching just to see Pat Tighe muscling his Africa Twin through the boggy bits and the Transalp with a customised fairing, customised by leaving a large piece in the welsh scenerey by the look of it.

Thanks for that Yen i enjoyed that, ridden a lot of it myself but at a more sedate pace and recognise a few of the names in there ?

• Like 1