Dakar Rally

Grasshopper

Anyone else here a fan of the Dakar Rally?  I always love watching it. Doesn't matter which category, they are all fun. ?  This year they have a new Classics section, that would be awesome to watch them all roll out. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tym said:

Wake me when its from Paris to Dakar again. :thud:

I know, I know.....I got over that a few years ago.  I just think the whole thing is crazy silly fun.  What people are willing to put themselves through never stops amusing me and the vehicles are cool! 

So there grumpy Sally ?

• Like 1

The Saudi's got their fingers in everything now haven't they.......they had the Joshua vs Ruiz rematch there earlier last year too.

Paid ridiculous money to get it there as I understand it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tym said:

Words used to have meanings. :littleguy:

They sure did, and believe me I enjoyed those days, now I don't know what the hell people are talking about most of the time.  I just roll with the flow now.  Everything is so upside down.

BUT damn it, I'm just here to watch some freaks get dusty......?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

BUT damn it, I'm just here to watch some freaks get dusty......?

Ok, cause i dont mind dust so much, its when you add water to it like @Sir Fallsalot does with his dust in the UK, yuck. :littleguy:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

So much for just having fun, maybe I should just stay quiet today.

@Tym's just getting to grip with his new age Michelle! 

Some of these old people can be difficult! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you still want to race in Africa, there are now a couple of rallies that do just so. 

Still the Dakar is an event I used to really look forward to it after Christmas and watch it on TV every day after dinner, and properly cried when Fabrizio died the day after his interview. It's not the same now, the bikes aren't the same, it seems like an endless baja race instead of the desert race it once was. I'm sure this modern pace isn't easy on the riders and they're still heroes but it just doesn't "smell" the same on tv, used to smell like Africa.

Still, my favourite Dakar clip, not motorcycles though:

• Like 3

I actually met Maria when she was living with a previous boyfriend in Germany, and he was a chief mechanic for X-Raid, who belong to the BMW family, and build (at the time) the X5 that raced the Dakar. I love race cars and proper rally cars aren't an exception.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

So much for just having fun, maybe I should just stay quiet today.

No don't, i like watching it but don't get much coverage of it here in the UK just pick up what i can on line. A guy i was in school with has entered a few times. I went to an evening where he gave us a talk about the event and how he got to enter it was very good. I was going to the bog later as he was coming out and he said hows it going Fred i was quite embarrassed as i would never had know who the hell he was if it wasn't for the event, Craig Bounds is his name
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/august/dakar-racer-craig-bounds-my-life-in-bikes/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

No don't, i like watching it but don't get much coverage of it here in the UK just pick up what i can on line. A guy i was in school with has entered a few times. I went to an evening where he gave us a talk about the event and how he got to enter it was very good. I was going to the bog later as he was coming out and he said hows it going Fred i was quite embarrassed as i would never had know who the hell he was if it wasn't for the event, Craig Bounds is his name
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/august/dakar-racer-craig-bounds-my-life-in-bikes/

Since then, Craig tells the story oh how he went to school with Sirfallsalot and how one time “Fred” attended one of his talks

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Since then, Craig tells the story oh how he went to school with Sirfallsalot and how one time “Fred” attended one of his talks

Borstal more like!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

And it didn't work for me or you Pete :classic_laugh:

Best days of our lives having the birch across our back!

Compulsory National Service is what would have sorted us out.

How many times did I hear that fucking speech in my youth! :classic_wacko:

• Haha 2