Jump to content

Freddie Dobbs' Bonneville T100 SE Saga


Tango

Recommended Posts

I don't know if any of you guys watch Freddie's videos and Vlogs on YouTube?

Anyway, he has a 2009 (I think) Triumph Bonneville T100 SE that he's abused a fair bit. Going to Morocco and then back to the UK, amongst other things. When he got it back to the UK it was in a bit of a sorry state, so he got someone to take a look at it. They stripped the top end of the engine, but then the work stalled for a good while because they couldn't get a cylinder base gasket, none in stock with Triumph anywhere in Europe! Anyway, eventually some of Freddie's followers managed to send some to him. 

Funnily, in the video comments a number of guys were saying to make one from gasket material, as it was only the base gasket!

Anyway, the reassembly went ahead and Freddie got the bike back, but it wasn't running at all well and it then developed electrical issues. Freddie then took it to a independent Triumph specialist, who had a look and diagnosed low compression and something on the electrics. His advice was to replace the engine!

Freddie posted all this and was seriously questioning whether it was worth keeping the bike or just get rid!

A couple of other youtubers contacted him, volunteering to have a look at the bike for him. Eventually Freddie arranged with one of them, that he'd take the bike away and see if he could sort it out over the coming months. 

Anyway, I've been following this other guy's channel to see what he finds.

So far, with regards to the electrical issues, he's replaced the starter relay and found that the charging circuit wasn't really working well, so he's replaced and upgraded the Reg/Rec.

He has found a small airleak in one of the inlet stubs too.

But the latest video, from Sunday 4 Jan, is truly shocking.

The guys that did the original work on the bike had reassembled it with the valve timing way off! He also found that they'd put the cam caps back on in a completely random order! There was also a problem with one of the spark plug holes, which they said that they had helicoiled. The guy working on the bike now looked at the plug and it's flopping around in all directions just before it's seated! He's now considering if it needs the cylinder head replaced!

What I find shocking is that some so-called professionals have done such shoddy work and really don't seem to be overly bothered about it. Like him, or hate him, Freddie has a lot of followers on YouTube etc, so these other guys could have really shot themselves in the foot! Where is the pride in their work with some of these guys now!

This is the first video from the guy who has taken on the job of fixing the Bonneville (for those that are interested)

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes I have been following Freddie's Bonnie saga.   The guy who has it now seems to know his stuff.  Funnily enough Pete introduced me to Freddie and to begin with I was put off by his accent but have warmed to him now and enjoy what he does.    I liked his recent Trans Alp adventures up north.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tango said:

The guy working on the bike now looked at the plug and it's flopping around in all directions just before it's seated! He's now considering if it needs the cylinder head replaced!

That was the issue the bike had before the Morocco trip. Plug came off when running, he tightened it and went to Morocco and back, then came it off again returning home, they should have taken that head off and fixed that or replace the head, ignoring an issue like that for thousands of km is probably what killed the engine. 

Destroying a plug thread probably operator error too? Seems unlikely it destroyed itself. The guy is a twat, but it does take some work to film the kind of movies he does by himself. Riding ahead to set a camera, then riding back to look like he's arriving at the location for the first time, then trying to pose around while talking, then riding off before coming back to pick the camera up.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

That was the issue the bike had before the Morocco trip. Plug came off when running, he tightened it and went to Morocco and back, then came it off again returning home, they should have taken that head off and fixed that or replace the head, ignoring an issue like that for thousands of km is probably what killed the engine. 

Destroying a plug thread probably operator error too? Seems unlikely it destroyed itself. The guy is a twat, but it does take some work to film the kind of movies he does by himself. Riding ahead to set a camera, then riding back to look like he's arriving at the location for the first time, then trying to pose around while talking, then riding off before coming back to pick the camera up.

I've not really been following his travels much, just the odd video, but ignoring a problem like that and then trying to make it sound like the bike is at fault is a bit twattish for sure!

I think that his missus does a lot of the videoing tbh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Yes I have been following Freddie's Bonnie saga.   The guy who has it now seems to know his stuff.  Funnily enough Pete introduced me to Freddie and to begin with I was put off by his accent but have warmed to him now and enjoy what he does.    I liked his recent Trans Alp adventures up north.  

Yes, it's pretty interesting.  I'm glad that his bike is now in the hands of someone who seems to know what he's doing! I just found it astonishing that the guys that worked on his bike before were such cowboys!

I've not watched his transalp videos yet. Has that got you thinking? 😉😂😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Tango said:

I've not really been following his travels much, just the odd video, but ignoring a problem like that and then trying to make it sound like the bike is at fault is a bit twattish for sure!

I watched the Morocco trip to see if I recognized places, and I did a few. He did a big drama about looking at the Sahara and basically didn´t approach any interesting places, rode on main roads most of the time. On that video he was quite relieved that the fail was the plug coming off as that's easily fixed as he had done before :classic_laugh:

On that Morocco trip he was alone, and did a lot of the stopping to ride back and film himself stuff, I envy his dedication as doing that in warm weather must be hell.

Then curiosity got the better of me and watched a few other videos, to then see always a big drama about the next big trip and events with a failing bike due to his own poor maintenance. I dislike the guy, he poses and models too much in his videos and makes his motorcycling bigger than it is, but in his defense it's pretty easy for me to dislike someone :classic_laugh:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tango said:

Yes, it's pretty interesting.  I'm glad that his bike is now in the hands of someone who seems to know what he's doing! I just found it astonishing that the guys that worked on his bike before were such cowboys!

I've not watched his transalp videos yet. Has that got you thinking? 😉😂😂

He comes across as a bit of a gullible innocent really, probably to do with his background I would have thought.  Seeing the house his parents live in and his accent  he probably comes from wealth.     No issue with that, it's just he has never really run out of options or had to cobble things together for himself, that's just the feeling I get about him.  

No Trans Alp for me I genuinely like my Hornet, if I was going to do the ADV thing I would prolly go for an Africa Twin but I just don't want something that big if I am honest.  

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Saul said:

He comes across as a bit of a gullible innocent really, probably to do with his background I would have thought.  Seeing the house his parents live in and his accent  he probably comes from wealth.     No issue with that, it's just he has never really run out of options or had to cobble things together for himself, that's just the feeling I get about him.  

No Trans Alp for me I genuinely like my Hornet, if I was going to do the ADV thing I would prolly go for an Africa Twin but I just don't want something that big if I am honest.  

 

I sometimes watch his Tuesday at Dobbs', which can be quite entertaining at times. I like some of the comments that people make. His bike of the week always makes me laugh. He looks at the price, that's it! And his dream bike is a Hardly! 😂😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah he makes me laugh with that as well.  One week he was raving about Mash Motorcycles, don't think he did much research for that apart from look at a price list.  He comes across as a Hipster biker but to give his do he does get out there and ride allover.    On his Yorkshire trip he nearly died because he got caught in the mist, twat.  🤣   I shouldn't slag him really, I like his videos but that doesn't stop me seeing who and what he is.    🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I first came across his channel a few years back, when I was researching the Street Scrambler.  Triumph loaned him a Gold Line edition to review. He dropped it, trying to do some off-roading on it, and he nearly got stuck in a hollow, that he'd got into, but couldn't get out again! 😂😂 I'm not sure that Triumph have loaned him another bike since that episode!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Matey fixing Freddies Bonnie  

 

It's really shocking, what he's found so far! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

He didn't take it to @Six30 Motors did he?

kid lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Dunno, we'll have to check for overspray on the tyres! 😉😂😂

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tango said:

Dunno, we'll have to check for overspray on the tyres! 😉😂😂

overspray on tyres ....

Im Not No Way GIF

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Top quality video right there, dramatic. I like when he looks to the skies in search of an answer.

Twat!

Correct me if I am wrong but I am getting the feeling that you don't suffer fools Pedro 🤣

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, XTreme said:

Posh people with bikes always seem really weird to me! :classic_wacko:

Mate, I live in a town where a good 60% are posh blow ins.  Weird/entitled/lazy/obnoxious/greedy/grasping/cunts on a good day.  Know the price of everything and the value of nothing.     I told one last night not to be so fucking stupid at my singing group, and I am pretty laid back and inofensive most of the time, just to give you a scale of the stupidity.    🤣

To be fair there are a couple of posh blow ins in our Chilblain riding group and they are alright if annoyingly rich 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Privacy Policy