Freddie Dobbs' Bonneville T100 SE Saga

Tango

Never rode one but one of our parts suppliers had a mint red one. I thought it was a good looking bike but even he said it wasn't the best bike he'd had by far.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

Never rode one but one of our parts suppliers had a mint red one. I thought it was a good looking bike but even he said it wasn't the best bike he'd had by far.

I had a mate that had a CX500C the custom looking one, I always thought that looked a hansom bike.  Never rode one but I liked the look of the custom and the later Eurosport styles one.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

"Make it as simple as possible for the viewers", for him more like.

Is there a reason for the cam timing to be so far out, I'd guess a previous owner had been in there?

Yes, I laughed out loud when he said that!

The cam timing was out from when the bike had a top-end rebuild by a bike shop! I think that someone mentions which bike shop in the comments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tango said:

Yes, I laughed out loud when he said that!

The cam timing was out from when the bike had a top-end rebuild by a bike shop! I think that someone mentions which bike shop in the comments.

I smiled when they were unboxing the new stuff and Joe took the piss about Freddie and batteries, I nearly missed it but went back and listened again and he did.   Made me smile. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, skyrider said:

do we know which model it was  ?

I'm not sure. It may have been the CB500T. I think that they described the engine as 2 lumps of snot moving up and down! 😂😂 Safe to say, it wasn't a big seller for Honda! 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Tango said:

I'm not sure. It may have been the CB500T. I think that they described the engine as 2 lumps of snot moving up and down! 😂😂 Safe to say, it wasn't a big seller for Honda! 

The 500T was mid 70's though?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The 500T was mid 70's though?

Wasn't the CB500T late 70s? I can't remember now. 

49 minutes ago, Tango said:

Yes, I just looked it up. 

I rode one in 75.....it was pretty lacklustre! But I did have a H1 Kwak at the time which was the complete opposite.

My mate with the CB500T was a great guy, but he was one of those who shouldn't have ridden bikes.

Not that he was wild.....in fact he was the complete opposite and rode very slowly indeed. But he just didn't have it if you know what I mean.

But he kept riding and sadly met his demise on the Heads of the Valleys road August Bank Holiday Monday 1994 riding a Beemer.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I rode one in 75.....it was pretty lacklustre! But I did have a H1 Kwak at the time which was the complete opposite.

My mate with the CB500T was a great guy, but he was one of those who shouldn't have ridden bikes.

Not that he was wild.....in fact he was the complete opposite and rode very slowly indeed. But he just didn't have it if you know what I mean.

But he kept riding and sadly met his demise on the Heads of the Valleys road August Bank Holiday Monday 1994 riding a Beemer.

How do you remember what something was like to ride from 50 odd years ago?

I struggle to remember what my gs550es was like to ride from 20 years ago 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

He was abit of a liability on a bike you mean?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, busabeast said:

How do you remember what something was like to ride from 50 odd years ago?

The bikes then were all very different from each other......not so much today.

18 minutes ago, busabeast said:

He was abit of a liability on a bike you mean?

He had zero natural ability......which is something that you really need to have.

Of course, natural ability can also get you killed when you don't know your own limitations.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The bikes then were all very different from each other......not so much today.

He had zero natural ability......which is something that you really need to have.

Of course, natural ability can also get you killed when you don't know your own limitations.

Fair enough, I guess these days generally if you've ridden on you've kinda ridden them all sort of thing as these days there aren't really any bad bikes apart from the Chinese stuff that's coming through but one day even the Chinese crap will be decent.

Yeah it is needed that to survive biking you need to have some kind of natural ability its not really something that can be taught you either have it or you don't. 

I think its only gixxer riders that run out of natural ability these days 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, busabeast said:

Yeah it is needed that to survive biking you need to have some kind of natural ability its not really something that can be taught you either have it or you don't. 

I'll tell you a story about that.

Around 2000 the wife fancied riding a bike so I got her a little 125. We did it properly.....she went to a training school. Then she failed her CBT and kept going back and they told her she still wasn't ready.

So I got involved and we took the 125 to the old campground in Carmarthen so I could see her riding. And she was awful.....totally abysmal, no natural ability, and a danger to herself.

I had to tell her to forget it because it wasn't going to end well.

Then in 2005 I got a DT175 for the boys to have a good at riding offroad. The eldest one who was 17 then (now in Madrid) was exactly like his mother.......no ability or coordination. So I told him forget it!

By contrast, the youngest one who was 14 (he's the one in NL now) was a fucking natural. He was belting round offroad with me following him on a mate's field bike......he was even drifting the back end without even knowing how he was doing it.

Incredible natural ability......but unfortunately he was just going way beyond his level of experience. Till he binned it heavily! He was OK.....just winded, but it just put him off and he never rode again.

Then I got on it, pulled a massive wheelie up a wet bank and binned it again, landing on my face! This time bending the handlebars like a banana. And those two things put him off forever.

But it shows that ability is inherited......you've either got it or you haven't.

FILE566.JPG.7b3c6e6e6292c087dde2a27bdb0a27e7.JPG

• Like 5

Looks like the flat battery on the Trans Alp wasn't Freddies faut after all.    It was down to Honda UK fitting a tracker.   Seems that he likes the Trans Alp after all. 

Does it make me a bad person because I was itching for him to drop it when he was fucking around in a wood trying to destroy the clutch?  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Saul said:

Yes, that other bike shop really did a number on his bike! It's a long way past an economical repair now, but I wonder if he'll go back to that bike shop and demand some compensation from them? They did more harm than good!

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 08:29, Saul said:

Looks like the flat battery on the Trans Alp wasn't Freddies faut after all.    It was down to Honda UK fitting a tracker.   Seems that he likes the Trans Alp after all. 

Does it make me a bad person because I was itching for him to drop it when he was fucking around in a wood trying to destroy the clutch?  🤣

As far as bike reviews go, I'd put more faith in something that is reviewed by proper bike reviewers.  My favourites are: Nathan the Postman, Ian @ Big Rock Moto and Ben @ Dork on the Road. They put bikes through their paces and don't hold back! Big Rock Moto and Dork on the Road have both bought 750 Transalps and have been modifying them for more off-road ability. Both admit that the standard bike is a long way from serious off-road capable, but is a good platform to start from. I'm interested in seeing their modifications and ongoing reviews of the bike.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tango said:

Yes, that other bike shop really did a number on his bike! It's a long way past an economical repair now, but I wonder if he'll go back to that bike shop and demand some compensation from them? They did more harm than good!

Has he named and shamed?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XTreme said:

Has he named and shamed?

They were in some of his earlier videos, when they were "repairing " his bike! It seems that a few people in the comments tried to warn him of them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1