Triumph’s Scrambler 400 X Offers More Than the Speed 400

Hugh Janus

Triumph’s Scrambler 400 X is powered by the firm’s new single—same as the Speed 400 but with notable changes to the chassis.
Triumph’s Scrambler 400 X is powered by the firm’s new single—same as the Speed 400 but with notable changes to the chassis. (Chippy Wood/)

This July, Cycle World was handed the keys to Triumph’s entry-level modern classic: the new Speed 400. Now, we follow that up with another exclusive first ride for the US market—this time on the new Scrambler 400 X, which shares the same single-cylinder platform.

Don’t be too hasty to judge. This is not simply a Speed 400 with a few trendy retro parts thrown at it. In fact, the pleasingly styled new Scrambler 400 X has its own frame, wheelbase, and chassis geometry, as well as a 19-inch off-road-biased front wheel and Metzeler Karoo rubber.

A 19-inch front wheel is the first indication of the differences between the Scrambler 400 X and its Speed 400 sibling.
A 19-inch front wheel is the first indication of the differences between the Scrambler 400 X and its Speed 400 sibling. (Chippy Wood/)

Yes, it does share the Speed’s TR Series 398cc single-cylinder engine and makes the same claimed 39.5 hp at 8,000 rpm and 37.5 lb.-ft. of torque at 6,500 rpm. Clocks, switch gear, and gas tank are off the same shelf too, but this sweetly proportioned, entry-level Scrambler is certainly more than a cosmetic rehash of the roadster. Its wheels (100/90-19 front and 140/80-17 rear compared to the Speed 400′s more conventional 110/70-17 front, 150/60-17 rear), riding stance, and suspension are completely different. And those differences are reflected in the prices of the two bikes; the Speed 400 will be priced at $4,995 and the Scrambler at $5,595.

Of course, the most obvious point of difference is the styling. The new twin exhausts ooze scrambler appeal. A two-section ribbed bench seat delights the retro glands and looks class. Hand guards, taller and wider bars for a little off-asphalt exploration, plus that larger-diameter front wheel wrapped in dirt-biased rubber give this bike a powerful presence for a mere 400. The finish is premium; the price: basement. There are things here to like.

No scrambler is complete without twin exhaust outlets, even if it’s a single…
No scrambler is complete without twin exhaust outlets, even if it’s a single… (Chippy Wood/)

Once on board the X, those differences become as obvious. The 32.9-inch seat is noticeably higher than the Speed 400′s 31.1-incher. I’m just under 5 feet, 7 inches, and although I wouldn’t describe the new 400 X as intimidating, it is surprisingly high for a learner-friendly 400. After all, both Ducati’s next-gen Scrambler Icon (31.3 inches) and Honda’s new CL500 Scrambler (31.1 inches) have lower seats despite being larger-capacity machines.

The Scrambler 400 X’s 32.9-inch seat height is almost 2 inches higher than the Speed 400.
The Scrambler 400 X’s 32.9-inch seat height is almost 2 inches higher than the Speed 400. (Chippy Wood/)

The X adopts a classic scrambler-style handlebar that positions your hands wide and high, again giving the sensation of a larger bike. It is roomy with plenty of distance between seat and footpegs, even for tall riders, and you feel poised and purposeful. On the move, the softly damped 43mm Big Piston fork and a monoshock rear suspension unit soak up the worst of road decay in true scrambler fashion. With 5.9 inches (150mm) of travel front and rear—that’s 0.4 inch (10mm) more travel up front than the Speed 400 and 0.8 inch (20mm) more at the rear—even the most pockmarked surfaces are absorbed without threat to the X’s stability.

A wide and tall handlebar gives a spacious feel on the Scrambler 400 X.
A wide and tall handlebar gives a spacious feel on the Scrambler 400 X. (Chippy Wood/)

It’s simply a fun ride, with plenty of suspension movement keeping the 400 X flowing nicely. There’s no damping adjustment on the fork, just preload on the rear, but the balance between compliance and control is spot on for daily riding. The wheelbase is longer on the X, while weight has increased from the Speed 400′s 375 pounds to 395. With a larger-diameter (and heavier) front wheel, steering is a little slower but this is not a heavy machine, and those wide bars give the rider the leverage to compensate.

On tight, twisty asphalt, you can use the X like a little supermoto, riding that composed and forgiving front end, and using the bars to push it down into a late, safe apex. At slow speeds in traffic it carves through congestion with natural ease, its taller stance and wide bars lending the X a commanding presence. In the city, it matters not one iota that this is a 39.5 hp machine; it’s great fun threading through the urban sprawl. Triumph hasn’t cut corners on grip levels either as the X’s quality Metzeler Karoo rubber works well in the wet and dry.

There’s plenty of performance to entertain despite the Scrambler 400 X being Triumph’s entry-level offering.
There’s plenty of performance to entertain despite the Scrambler 400 X being Triumph’s entry-level offering. (Chippy Wood/)

The Scrambler 400 X uses a ByBre front brake caliper similar to its Speed sibling but the single disc’s diameter increases from 300 to 320mm while a 230mm disc is deployed on the rear. As this is a Scrambler model with some dirt ambition, ABS can be turned off, which isn’t possible on the naked roadster.

ByBre calipers do the squeezing of a single 320mm front disc and 230mm rear disc.
ByBre calipers do the squeezing of a single 320mm front disc and 230mm rear disc. (Chippy Wood/)

Despite the larger disc, the stoppers don’t feel as strong as the Speed’s, possibly due to a combination of a different pad material and more weight to slow. They are perfectly adequate day to day, but when you start to fool around (and the longer-travel suspension asks a few more questions), they lack sharpness and have more travel on the lever.

Triumph hasn’t tweaked the TR Series engine for 400 X (but has made a slight change in the gearing), and on the road, the X is just as spirited as the Speed. Sure, there are only 40-or-so horses available but it drives smartly from 4,000 rpm to 6,000 rpm while that twin-exit exhaust backs up the action with a decent bark. The fueling is easygoing and suitably soft for the bike’s entry-level positioning, but there’s a nice little snap of power available when you need to jump ahead of the traffic at the lights.

Almost 40 hp is claimed to be produced by the 398cc DOHC liquid-cooled single.
Almost 40 hp is claimed to be produced by the 398cc DOHC liquid-cooled single. (Chippy Wood/)

Stretching the Scrambler’s legs on some empty familiar country roads in the Cotswolds in the heart of England was highly enjoyable, and overtaking slower traffic was relatively fuss-free. Acceleration between 50 and 70 mph is sharp enough to manage most scenarios and, despite the wind-catching aerodynamics created by the upright riding position and wide bars, it still showed an indicated 100 mph, just. Not bad for this type of bike. As the revs increase, however, so do the vibrations, but at a UK motorway cruising speed of 70 mph plus a little more, the X feels anything but fraught.

Our ride was only a quick spin (on a preproduction bike), so we didn’t get to fully test the Scrambler on dirt. The traction control and ABS can be deactivated for those who want some fun, and there’s just enough power to get the rear sliding on loose gravel. For first-timers off-road, the Scrambler offers easy handling with manageable power, though tackling jumps, mud, and rocks wouldn’t be recommended.

There’s enough oomph to spin up the 17-inch rear tire on the Scrambler 400 X.
There’s enough oomph to spin up the 17-inch rear tire on the Scrambler 400 X. (Chippy Wood/)

Given the brevity of the test, we can’t really comment on long-distance comfort, or how quickly it will reach its off-road limit. However, initial impressions are excellent, especially when you consider its now-released price of $5,595.

For those who like to disappear up a gravel track occasionally, the Scrambler is a better choice than its less versatile Speed sibling. Its taller stance makes it more commanding in an urban environment too, while the scrambler styling adds a welcome retro vibe to the package. Triumph is already taking orders for both models, and it will be interesting to see how the two machines perform, both on the road and in the sales chart. But priced so competitively, the Scrambler 400 X is likely to be a success for Triumph.

At just $5,595, the 2024 Triumph Scrambler 400 X is priced competitively in the entry-level space.
At just $5,595, the 2024 Triumph Scrambler 400 X is priced competitively in the entry-level space. (Chippy Wood/)

2024 Triumph Scrambler 400 X Specs

MSRP: $5,595
Engine: DOHC, liquid-cooled single-cylinder; 4 valves
Displacement: 398cc
Bore x Stroke: 89.0 x 64.0mm
Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Claimed Horsepower: 39.5 hp @ 8,000 rpm
Claimed Torque: 27.7 lb.-ft. @ 6,500 rpm
Fuel System: Bosch electronic fuel injection w/ electronic throttle control
Clutch: Wet, multiplate slipper/assist; cable actuated
Frame: Hybrid spine/perimeter, tubular steel; bolt-on rear subframe
Front Suspension: 43mm inverted Big Piston fork; 5.9 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Gas monoshock w/ external reservoir, spring preload adjustable; 5.9 in. travel
Front Brake: 4-piston radial caliper, 320mm fixed disc w/ ABS
Rear Brake: Floating caliper, 230mm fixed disc w/ ABS
Wheels, Front/Rear: Cast aluminum; 19 x 2.5 in. / 17 x 3.5 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: Metzeler Karoo; 100/90-19 / 140/80R-17
Rake/Trail: 23.2°/4.25 in.
Wheelbase: 55.8 in.
Seat Height: 32.9 in.
Fuel Capacity: 3.4 gal.
Claimed Wet Weight: 395 lb.

Source

47 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Yeh......surprisingly for me, I like it as well.

But an Indian engine is a deal breaker for me!

It wouldn't be for me .  They've been building engines for a while now for Triumph , if they were bad we'd know about it by now.

My Honda was built in Thailand and I had reservations at first but it's been superb.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

This and the Thruxton, very nice looking bikes.

I must admit I think it look great and I reckon they will sell by the shed load.   I would have to travel if I were to buy one though following my recent experience with Plymouth Triumph I wouldn't buy a coffee there.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saul said:

I must admit I think it look great and I reckon they will sell by the shed load.   I would have to travel if I were to buy one though following my recent experience with Plymouth Triumph I wouldn't buy a coffee there.     

Feel the same about the Triumph dealer in Somerset 'Total Triumph' the woman who was in there was a miserable see you next Tuesday, said lots of negative crap to me.

So much so I left and went to Brizzle!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Feel the same about the Triumph dealer in Somerset 'Total Triumph' the woman who was in there was a miserable see you next Tuesday, said lots of negative crap to me.

So much so I left and went to Brizzle!

I was put off by the attitude of Triumph Plymouth, offered a derisory trade in on my "Off Brand little bike".  Also refused to confirm the offer they did make in an email.  If they would not take the time to email me I won't spend money there.  Plus they were generally just fucking rude.    One of my mates warned me but I was too daft to listen.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Saul said:

I was put off by the attitude of Triumph Plymouth, offered a derisory trade in on my "Off Brand little bike".  Also refused to confirm the offer they did make in an email.  If they would not take the time to email me I won't spend money there.  Plus they were generally just fucking rude.    One of my mates warned me but I was too daft to listen.  

It beggars belief really doesn't it. 

If somewhere is in a convenient location you're gonna go in and see for yourself regardless of what anyone says.

Not confirming the offer in an email stinks, it's got a whiff of stitch up straight ahead! 💰💰💰

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It beggars belief really doesn't it. 

If somewhere is in a convenient location you're gonna going and see for yourself regardless of what anyone says.

Not confirming the offer in an email stinks, it's got a whiff of stitch up straight ahead! 💰💰💰

Yep I had that feeling especially as they said my bike would have to have a full check up by their techs before the offer was valid.  🤨    

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Saul said:

Yep I had that feeling especially as they said my bike would have to have a full check up by their techs before the offer was valid.  🤨    

Looking for faults to knock the price.

• Like 2

Just now, Catteeclan said:

Looking for faults to knock the price.

Yep I am sure they were, but the bike is perfect, 4900 with FSH.   Just being shady barstewards

• Like 1

My opinion is worth as much as what you’re paying for it, but Triumph West London were very friendly and helpful dudes. Seemed like what any brand’s dealership is supposed to be.

19 hours ago, Saul said:

That’s always the rub with a new bike, you need a good dealership.

• Like 1

Plenty of theoretically interesting bike for me, a Triumph that is cheaper than a BMW but supposedly very good, a couple of Ducatis, but I just don't like their shops here in Portugal and their attitude. Might be just towards me though :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it is a lot to do with the individual salesperson personality as well.   Some good some monumental arseholes and every option in between. 
Although you do get a vibe from the dealerships as well.    I  know when I went into the Plymouth Harley dealership they summed me up as just looking.  They were right but  friendly enough about it.    

• Like 1