Schuberth Helmets

Saul

Thinking of getting one, but which one? C3 Pro vs C4 Pro or C4 Basic or even C5.  Had a Schuberth before and loved it but am wondering if to take the plunge again and which model.  I am favouring a C4 Pro but would be interested in any first hand experience.   

2 minutes ago, busabeast said:

No first hand experience of them but I'd go c4 Pro it sounds better 

I think the only difference between the Pro and Basic apart from the name is the pro is ready to accept coms with a speaker and mic integrated.    Only about £30 in difference so seems like the obvious option.      

• Like 1

Know nothing about them!

I always wore Shoei until their pricing went ludicrous......now I use HJC as they're a similar fit to Shoei but at a more realistic price point.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

I always wore Shoei until their pricing went ludicrous......

I hear ya! I was just looking at a new Arai for the Goldwing. I feel like a twat riding on it with an Adventure helmet. But the Arai I wanted was nearly $1,000 - I just couldn't do it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Saul said:

Thinking of getting one, but which one? C3 Pro vs C4 Pro or C4 Basic or even C5.  Had a Schuberth before and loved it but am wondering if to take the plunge again and which model.  I am favouring a C4 Pro but would be interested in any first hand experience.   

Well you’ve asked for it so here it is-

Schuberth were taken over by an investment firm and they wanted a fast return for the share holders so they forced the quick release of helmets without without the usual Schuberth care, they had issues, quality control problems, niggles with use and wind noise and that is bad if it’s supposed to be your USP.

C4 Pro is supposed to be the remedy for these ills and is the one I use in Spain.

The guy who owns helmet city in Cheddar who was telling me the misfortunes of Schuberth said they’ve almost fixed things is but one C4 Pro flaw plagues the lid - the integrated coms, the housing is not secure enough and the battery pack can rattle itself loose n disconnect. This doesn’t bother me because I don’t like coms systems.

I have the C4 Pro and the Shoei Neotec 2 I think they’re both good helmets but the lining and comfort of the Shuberth is for me ahead by a margin.

I would imagine the C5 is the fix for the bad coms fit but I’d specifically google that to see what the reviewers say.

Billys crash helmets generally do useful reviews. 

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/schuberth-c5-modular-motorcycle-helmet-review/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well you’ve asked for it so here it is-

Schuberth were taken over by an investment firm and they wanted a fast return for the share holders so they forced the quick release of helmets without without the usual Schuberth care, they had issues, quality control problems, niggles with use and wind noise and that is bad if it’s supposed to be your USP.

C4 Pro is supposed to be the remedy for these ills and is the one I use in Spain.

The guy who owns helmet city in Cheddar who was telling me the misfortunes of Schuberth said they’ve almost fixed things is but one C4 Pro flaw plagues the lid - the integrated coms, the housing is not secure enough and the battery pack can rattles itself loose n disconnect. This doesn’t bother me because I don’t like coms systems.

I have the C4 Pro and the Shoei Neotec 2 I think they’re both good helmets but the lining and comfort of the Shuberth is for me ahead by a margin.

I would imagine the C5 is the fix for the bad coms fit but I’d specifically google that to see what the reviewers say.

Billys crash helmets generally do useful reviews. 

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/schuberth-c5-modular-motorcycle-helmet-review/

Thanks that's interesting.  I had read that the C4 Basic was a better quieter helmet than the Pro.  There is only a £30 price difference between them now they have both been superseded by the C5 and discounted.   I can get a C4 Basic for £299 which I thought was a good price the C5's I have seen advertised are near double that.    I don't really care about coms if I am honest.  I loved my old BMW/Schubert lid and thought the C4 would be a good replacement long term.   Noise levels are the reason I am thinking of upgrading what I have plus I would like the utility of a Flip front lid again.    My current full face had no pinlock or sun visor, and well it is comfy it is not that quiet for a full face lid.   Plus I don't seem to be able to source a replacement visor for it which doesn't bode well for the future.    My other lid is a cheapy Jet type open face and while convenient for a local bimble it's no use when you get on a faster road.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saul said:

Thanks that's interesting.  I had read that the C4 Basic was a better quieter helmet than the Pro.  There is only a £30 price difference between them now they have both been superseded by the C5 and discounted.   I can get a C4 Basic for £299 which I thought was a good price the C5's I have seen advertised are near double that.    I don't really care about coms if I am honest.  I loved my old BMW/Schubert lid and thought the C4 would be a good replacement long term.   Noise levels are the reason I am thinking of upgrading what I have plus I would like the utility of a Flip front lid again.    My current full face had no pinlock or sun visor, and well it is comfy it is not that quiet for a full face lid.   Plus I don't seem to be able to source a replacement visor for it which doesn't bode well for the future.    My other lid is a cheapy Jet type open face and while convenient for a local bimble it's no use when you get on a faster road.  

I think if you have a read up on Billy’s or in general the Pro is better than the Basic by quite a margin but whatever suits 👍

I wouldn’t go back to non flip lids now, they are just much easier.

My C4 pro was about £340 two years ago. It’s definitely quieter than my Shoei although side by side testing on youtube etc showed little difference. I find the Shoei whistles at certain speeds, the Schuberth doesn’t. If I was buying now I’d go C4 pro or would wait for a few more C5 reviews and fork out for that.

Flip lids are known for being noisy but they’ve kind of mastered them now, they can’t be put on with the flip down. You have to pull the sides out to get it on your head and when in locks into place it pulls the helmet in towards you head limiting the airspace that makes lids noisy. 

If you have a helmet city near you it’s worth asking them to get in the models you want to try. Doesn’t cost anything and they tend to know their onions. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I think if you have a read up on Billy’s or in general the Pro is better than the Basic by quite a margin but whatever suits 👍

I wouldn’t go back to non flip lids now, they are just much easier.

My C4 pro was about £340 two years ago. It’s definitely quieter than my Shoei although side by side testing on youtube etc showed little difference. I find the Shoei whistles at certain speeds, the Schuberth doesn’t. If I was buying now I’d go C4 pro or would wait for a few more C5 reviews and fork out for that.

Flip lids are known for being noisy but they’ve kind of mastered them now, they can’t be put on with the flip down. You have to pull the sides out to get it on your head and when in locks into place it pulls the helmet in towards you head limiting the airspace that makes lids noisy. 

If you have a helmet city near you it’s worth asking them to get in the models you want to try. Doesn’t cost anything and they tend to know their onions. 

Hang on a minute i thought you were mutton Jeff how would you hear the difference, that shoei must have been louder than a jet taking off :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Hang on a minute i thought you were mutton Jeff how would you hear the difference, that shoei must have been louder than a jet taking off :classic_laugh:

I reckon it is 😆

You don’t get to go deaf in a nice uniform fashion so some sounds are far more audible than others, god in his infinite wisdom decided I should continue to hear feckin wind noise good n clear 🤣

• Sad 1

I'm on my second C3Pro, which was still lighter and quieter than the C4 and C4Pro when I got it. They are ok and I obviously bought a second one so I like them. 

I would go straight for the C5 instead of the C4 range, though, they seem so much better built.

My next helmet is probably going to be a Shoei, though, and probably this year. Something to do with the sizing as I think I am an L in Shoei but an XL in Schubert, and my Schubert gets a little too big once getting a little older. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

To give this thread some closure I finally got my Helmet today.    I initially ordered a C4 Pro in my size but true to what everyone said I needed the next size up which of course they didn’t have.     Anyway I returned it for a refund and waited and waited for new stock to arrive.   Of course being biking season everybody wanted new lids.    I bought a cheapie Viper lid in the meantime that works fine but is noisy.   Anyway I changed my mind and ordered a C3 Pro in the next size up and it came today.   It fits but is snug which I guess will ease a little as it breaks in.    Lovely lid though and so quiet.    I can wait for a long ride to try it out.     

IMG_0185.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Well I have been using the C3 for commuting and it is a joy of quiet, can quite happily sit at 70 with very little wind noise.    Faster and obviously it gets a little more raucous.   
Anyway quiet is good but I have gotten used to listening to stuff on my phone through the Bluetooth on my Viper lid.     The Viper is comfy but noisy.  So to the point I wanted some Bluetooth connectivity for my Schuberth.  You can buy a Senna coms kit but it is a bit spendy and I don’t really care about coms as such. So I thought about using a Bluetooth kit I bought last year to use with my RE lid, but it didn’t fit.     To my surprise it fitted in the Schuberth perfectly.   Is Bluetooth 5.0 so works seamlessly with my phone, also I can’t feel the speakers so all is good.   Some testing to do but I am pretty chuffed with what are in effect Bluetooth speakers in my lid for £30.   They will control the phone to make calls and stuff but I doubt I will use that.    They came from Amazon if you want to experiment with the same chinky tat.  

IMG_0287.thumb.jpeg.8811514a07fa750f2058b4da15dcd485.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, XTreme said:

I don't want connectivity in my lid......I get enough of technology in the rest of my life.

+1

I like singing to myself when I'm on the bike, it's also a great time for thinking.  I don't want to have music and anyone jabbering in my ear while I'm riding.

• Like 3

On 16/07/2023 at 09:48, Saul said:

Well I have been using the C3 for commuting and it is a joy of quiet, can quite happily sit at 70 with very little wind noise.    Faster and obviously it gets a little more raucous.   
Anyway quiet is good but I have gotten used to listening to stuff on my phone through the Bluetooth on my Viper lid.     The Viper is comfy but noisy.  So to the point I wanted some Bluetooth connectivity for my Schuberth.  You can buy a Senna coms kit but it is a bit spendy and I don’t really care about coms as such. So I thought about using a Bluetooth kit I bought last year to use with my RE lid, but it didn’t fit.     To my surprise it fitted in the Schuberth perfectly.   Is Bluetooth 5.0 so works seamlessly with my phone, also I can’t feel the speakers so all is good.   Some testing to do but I am pretty chuffed with what are in effect Bluetooth speakers in my lid for £30.   They will control the phone to make calls and stuff but I doubt I will use that.    They came from Amazon if you want to experiment with the same chinky tat.  

IMG_0287.thumb.jpeg.8811514a07fa750f2058b4da15dcd485.jpeg

Sounds like a good spend. Particularly if you like a bit of music. 

What are you listening to while you ride?!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Sounds like a good spend. Particularly if you like a bit of music. 

What are you listening to while you ride?!

Combination of things really, Radio, Podcasts, music and choir teach tracks.  Gives me plenty of practice time riding to and fro from work.  

• Like 2

Bluetooth is really handy if two or three of you are out together , if one’s wants a piss or your changing route etc …

I don’t get listening to music or taking phone calls while riding .. the phone call can surely wait until you stop , and music .. your riding a bike not chilling on a sun lounger 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Six30 said:

Bluetooth is really handy if two or three of you are out together

So the others have to ride along listening to an annoying cunt like you?

Season 4 No GIF

• Haha 2

Sounds to me like Saul is capable of enjoying music and riding at the same time and uses the peace and quiet to learn his choir stuff. Most wise. 

Although they are definitely not for me, I have two expensive comms kits gathering dust, I think they're a total PITA 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/07/2023 at 15:20, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Sounds to me like Saul is capable of enjoying music and riding at the same time and uses the peace and quiet to learn his choir stuff. Most wise. 

Although they are definitely not for me, I have two expensive comms kits gathering dust, I think they're a total PITA 😆

My viper lid has built in Bluetooth and it lasts a good while, and it's clear up to 70-80mph, my mate wants a comms kit so when we are out we don't need to keep stopping to talk and decide on where we're going 

29 minutes ago, busabeast said:

my mate wants a comms kit so when we are out we don't need to keep stopping to talk and decide on where we're going 

I don't know how we ever managed before all this technology came out.

9 hours ago, XTreme said:

I don't know how we ever managed before all this technology came out.

They are all ponces now, just set a destination and go there, ffs.

• Like 1