Electric Cars

Saul

Why the feck would expose yourself to this sort of ball ache?     I know its a US video but can't imagine it will be any better in EU or UK.   

• Like 1

That guy is overcomplicating things. You don't need to be a chemical engineer to fuel up your gasoline powered car either.

Obviously they aren't ideal for long distances, but according to where you live they are not that bad, and if you park during the day at the office or overnight with a charger available they are practical.

My brother drove an electrical car from northern Germany to Zagreb with a colleague, and they did fine. Cruised at 110/120kmh and the stops weren't that bad although obviously they looked ahead where to stop in order to do as many kms per charge as possible. They drove a Kia or a Hyundai or something like that in SUV form, and spent 45 minutes per stop every 300km.

• Like 1

Practicality says we buy an electric car for commuting and small trips, which is what most are made for so why are SUVs the most sold.
Nearly all leccy cars in the super market car park are large cars or SUVs driven by the retired

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

That guy is overcomplicating things. You don't need to be a chemical engineer to fuel up your gasoline powered car either.

Obviously they aren't ideal for long distances, but according to where you live they are not that bad, and if you park during the day at the office or overnight with a charger available they are practical.

My brother drove an electrical car from northern Germany to Zagreb with a colleague, and they did fine. Cruised at 110/120kmh and the stops weren't that bad although obviously they looked ahead where to stop in order to do as many kms per charge as possible. They drove a Kia or a Hyundai or something like that in SUV form, and spent 45 minutes per stop every 300km.

Nah I don't think he is overcomplicating it, where he was talking about it is complicated, different rated charges most of them not delivering what they are listed at and having to know which one suits your car, and the time it takes is infinitely variable even if you know what you are doing.   Strikes me as pretty complicated and a ball ache.    Not saying that electric cars aren't practical in some circumstances but they are expensive and any sort of long distance travel will take more planning that it would with a combustion engine.  

Your brother made his trip in one of the newer more practical cars with fast charging and obviously readily available chargers.  I am pretty sure the Kia and Hyundai are the same platform and latest tech with a different skin.   I can't comment on Europe but here in the UK charging is very hit and miss and overcrowded.   Socials are full of people fighting in the street over chargers, definitely a ball ache.

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I have been booking cars today amongst other things. Napoli to Milan is approx 770kms, biggest range on any of their electric cars , 520 kms 🙄

Maybe with a super light foot, wind behind you, nothing switched on in the car and no traffic.

Bet you'd easy loss 100kms of that in real world driving.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

Maybe with a super light foot, wind behind you, nothing switched on in the car and no traffic.

Bet you'd easy loss 100kms of that in real world driving.

probably more. It's the same bollards as when the constructer gives mpg figures, the test "normes" are stupidly concieved to give optimum conditions. 

The electric bikes we do, be they high end or cheap shit are the same, official figures are always with no hills or wind ( or wind resistance cos they're cooked up on a rolling road, no rolling resistance from the front wheel ( cos of rolling road) at an optimum stable speed tyres over inflated, with a new battery charged in laboratory optimum conditions, and a rider weighing  50 to 60 kilos. that gets them their 100km figure. Sit me on the bloody thing, outside, with a year old battery charged form a 220v socket in normal road conditions, then your looking at 60 km ish or 110lm/h for about 20 minutes.

but then I suppose if they were actually honest about it, they wouldn't sell any....

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MooN said:

probably more. It's the same bollards as when the constructer gives mpg figures, the test "normes" are stupidly concieved to give optimum conditions. 

The electric bikes we do, be they high end or cheap shit are the same, official figures are always with no hills or wind ( or wind resistance cos they're cooked up on a rolling road, no rolling resistance from the front wheel ( cos of rolling road) at an optimum stable speed tyres over inflated, with a new battery charged in laboratory optimum conditions, and a rider weighing  50 to 60 kilos. that gets them their 100km figure. Sit me on the bloody thing, outside, with a year old battery charged form a 220v socket in normal road conditions, then your looking at 60 km ish or 110lm/h for about 20 minutes.

but then I suppose if they were actually honest about it, they wouldn't sell any....

Do VW make electric cars , I wonder how honest their figures are ?

8 hours ago, boboneleg said:

They do, there's one similar to a Golf in size that everyone here drives like a lunatic. 

Don't know what's it with electric cars that make people go insane when driving them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, boboneleg said:

They make the ID3 and ID4 and the Buzz minivan. All the VAG have EVs in their lineup now.

But this made me laugh anyway......😂😂😂

FB_IMG_1664824850612.jpg.06cb00afd597005f30f7c866aeb06a1d.jpg

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Pedro said:

They do, there's one similar to a Golf in size that everyone here drives like a lunatic. 

Don't know what's it with electric cars that make people go insane when driving them.

Friends of ours in the village have just got a Tesla model Y, which Carole says ia great because you can do more overtakes in it! French driver! 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tango said:

Friends of ours in the village have just got a Tesla model Y, which Carole says ia great because you can do more overtakes in it! French driver! 😂😂😂

Tesla was so smart with how they started selling cars. Instead of showing off how they make no smoke and whatever, they showed how fast they are, it's genius and none of the other car brands ever thought of using performance as a selling point for "green" cars.

I don't mean so much the overtaking, but the erratic driving on roundabouts, and sprinting past stoplights, stuff they wouldn't do if they thought it cost them fuel money. Apparently electricity and tire money doesn't matter :classic_laugh:

Reminds me when my bigger clients started having 3500 and 6000kg electric forklifts to replace diesels or gas, suddenly every warehouse turned into MonacoGP :classic_laugh:

• Haha 5

And something else they don't tell you is the batteries don't like being kept at 100% as it shortens their life and so does using the fast chargers to charge the vehicle. My boss has some big electric Audi Q4 thing and only found that info out reading the owners manual no mention of it in the sales pitch.  when we had that freezing weather before Christmas his estimated range almost halved.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

And something else they don't tell you is the batteries don't like being kept at 100% as it shortens their life and so does using the fast chargers to charge the vehicle. My boss has some big electric Audi Q4 thing and only found that info out reading the owners manual no mention of it in the sales pitch.  when we had that freezing weather before Christmas his estimated range almost halved.

I think most rechargeable batteries last better cycle charging. Running down and re-charging.
The cold is also a kiiler. I keep all my rechargeable indoor.

• Like 2