The Vent Thread

Tango

BT charge us for a business contract that also supplies the house, for that we get 13mbps. 

After being 'escalated' and given a case manager, they shoved a fibre optic line in the ditch which still connects to copper at the other end 🙄 Two more years down the line they have given up pretending it will ever stay at the boosted 24mbps and told us a few weeks ago we can pay £25k for a dedicated line to be put in 😮

So just signed a contract with Starling the satellite jobby.

The engineer went along to have a look yesterday and said we were in a good position and he doesn't like to say what people will get because it can be variable but definitely over 100mbps. 

I so hope that's true. That with the two mobile internet contracts we have might be able to keep up but even if they can't it's got to be better than the shite BT has been providing for the last 20 years. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I pay £13 a month for 70mbps down and 45mbps up.

That's pretty good. Here (in Spain) I'm paying £17 for 220 up and 180 down (minimum) but back in Blighty I'm paying 🤬 for a business contract plus two separate mobile routers and that will never improve as we are one house too far away from the rest of the fibre that's coming so either cough up to have your own dedicated line or drop the lying bastards for satellite 🤞 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That's pretty good. Here (in Spain) I'm paying £17 for 220 up and 180 down (minimum) but back in Blighty I'm paying 🤬 for a business contract plus two separate mobile routers and that will never improve as we are one house too far away from the rest of the fibre that's coming so either cough up to have your own dedicated line or drop the lying bastards for satellite 🤞 

I live in a listed building with no wire connections to the property, except electricity.

19 minutes ago, Clive said:

Found out.

Mbps download 53

Mbps upload 14

Whatever that means. 😂 

That download speed isnt bad at all, should be enough to stream smoothly but the figures are very variable so one minute you can have plenty the next it drops out and buffering occurs. 

I dunno if you use Google Chromecast or Amazon firestick for watching TV? I've used both and they both work pretty well at smoothing out buffering but the amazon fire tv has the edge because they produce an extra little box for £14 that allows you to connect directly to your wifi and smooths out buffering problems. This is it, works a treat, 24 thousand good reviews, not bad!

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXP5TXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ah right. We get about 45-50 down on the two mobile routers we have and pay a lot more for it than you do!

Are you using the basic antennas that are built in/came with the routers?

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That download speed isnt bad at all, should be enough to stream smoothly but the figures are very variable so one minute you can have plenty the next it drops out and buffering occurs. 

I dunno if you use Google Chromecast or Amazon firestick for watching TV? I've used both and they both work pretty well at smoothing out buffering but the amazon fire tv has the edge because they produce an extra little box for £14 that allows you to connect directly to your wifi and smooths out buffering problems. This is it, works a treat, 24 thousand good reviews, not bad!

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXP5TXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Explained myself badly....in the living room we have no problem....the bedroom tv works on  Chromecast......which is (when we use it) constantly buffering.

Wi fi signal is only good in the living room....bedroom and spare room signal is very poor...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yes.

Do tell?

I use a dual pole planar array antenna pointing directly at one of the local cell sites. Without it I would get about 20mbps.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Clive said:

Explained myself badly....in the living room we have no problem....the bedroom tv works on  Chromecast......which is (when we use it) constantly buffering.

Wi fi signal is only good in the living room....bedroom and spare room signal is very poor...

Have you tried a wifi extender? I use one for one end of the house and it's done a good job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

I use a dual pole planar array antenna pointing directly at one of the local cell sites. Without it I would get about 20mbps.

I had a quick look at the "dual pole array antenna" thing you mention and I think that thats the way to go. As we are committed to mobile router contracts I'd rather boost what we currently have and see how Starling works out. I prefer having two types of connectivity anyway, a bit like using different fuels. 

Is there anything I need to know about it, what antenna did you go for?

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I had a quick look at the "dual pole array antenna" thing you mention and I think that thats the way to go. As we are committed to mobile router contracts I'd rather boost what we currently have and see how Starling works out. I prefer having two types of connectivity anyway, a bit like using different fuels. 

Is there anything I need to know about it, what antenna did you go for?

Make sure your routers can take external antennas, if they have removable antennas then it should be fine. I use a Poynting 4G Xpol. Obviously you need 4g antenna for 4g or a 5g antenna for 5g.

• Like 1

Hey @XTreme, suggestions for two new sections:

tech advise, Ian and Ian: could provide computer and internet advice, and sidewalk and driveway advise.

Real stuff talk, where people vent about family things, like polish relatives, wives, royal enfields, etc

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

Hey @XTreme, suggestions for two new sections:

tech advise, Ian and Ian: could provide computer and internet advice, and sidewalk and driveway advise.

Real stuff talk, where people vent about family things, like polish relatives, wives, royal enfields, etc

Don’t forget;

Hitler rules! Where Slowly and Zzzak tell us all the different ethnicities that are bad.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Buckster said:

Don’t forget;

Hitler rules! Where Slowly and Zzzak tell us all the different ethnicities that are bad.

Michelle Obama is a man 

• Haha 1