Your Day Today!

XTreme

No...they are electric storage heaters.......the street she lives on has no mains gas supply to 5 houses...one being hers......all the other have.

• Like 3

I’ve rented an house for a couple of nights away … charging a £40 service fee , so the heating is on all day and all fucking night , if we are out or in .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

We got the Pellet burner going here every day now.

An hour in the morning, an hour in the afternoon, and about 3 hours in the evening.

That's enough to keep the whole house at a nice temperature.

We've had to put the heating on now, but only in the lounge and bathroom, except when Mandy is working from home and then she puts it on in the office. We've actually had a couple of overnight frosts! But daytime is still managing to get into double digits.......just!

• Like 3

I had a 'catastrophic ignition failure' (my boss's words :classic_laugh:)  at work today on the donkey as I attempted to go home.  No lights, no ignition , nothing.  

I bought this bike off a mate of mine, when he went to buy it a year earlier the original owner had lost the keys so he had to hot wire it 😜  My mate then built in an ignition with a toggle switch built in, I have never been completely happy with it and today it failed.  He used block connectors to join the wiring and the constant movement of the wiring around the headstock had caused the terminals to break free from the connectors and hence the failure. 

We cut the connectors out and re-joined the wiring with solder seal connectors, these make a much neater job and are far less bulky.

IMG_3160.thumb.JPEG.1fe4e31d41623673d1079d2724ec2cc3.JPEG

I just sent my mate a message and he has got a bit bolshy saying that the connectors we've used are rubbish .  My boss and me are more than happy with the job, we've both used the solder seal connectors for various wiring jobs in the past and neither of us has had a failure .

Does anyone else use these , what are your experience's ?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I had a 'catastrophic ignition failure' (my boss's words :classic_laugh:)  at work today on the donkey as I attempted to go home.  No lights, no ignition , nothing.  

I bought this bike off a mate of mine, when he went to buy it a year earlier the original owner had lost the keys so he had to hot wire it 😜  My mate then built in an ignition with a toggle switch built in, I have never been completely happy with it and today it failed.  He used block connectors to join the wiring and the constant movement of the wiring around the headstock had caused the terminals to break free from the connectors and hence the failure. 

We cut the connectors out and re-joined the wiring with solder seal connectors, these make a much neater job and are far less bulky.

I just sent my mate a message and he has got a bit bolshy saying that the connectors we've used are rubbish .  My boss and me are more than happy with the job, we've both used the solder seal connectors for various wiring jobs in the past and neither of us has had a failure .

Not used them myself Bob but that would definitely be better than block connectors 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tango said:

We've had to put the heating on now, but only in the lounge and bathroom, except when Mandy is working from home and then she puts it on in the office. We've actually had a couple of overnight frosts! But daytime is still managing to get into double digits.......just!

The Government have put a brilliant price cap on your bills though Bob?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The Government have put a brilliant price cap on your bills though Bob?

Yeah, the rises in energy bills this year were capped at 4%, but I still don't like using the heating more than I have to, Pete. It seems to dry the air in the house, so I end up with sore eyes. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I've only ever soldered the wires together and put some heatshrink over the joints, which is pretty much what you've got there, Bob. Red to brown and brown to red? I guess it works. 😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tango said:

Yeah, the rises in energy bills this year were capped at 4%, but I still don't like using the heating more than I have to, Pete. It seems to dry the air in the house, so I end up with sore eyes. 

That’s not your heating , that’s was Bucksters bike at the bottom of the page , they should be slightly not as sore this month

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Tango said:

What do you use for heating Bob?

11 minutes ago, Tango said:

We've got reversible air-conditioning,  Pete. 

What I like about using pellets is you always know where you stand with cost.

Because you've already paid for the bags so you're not going to get some outlandish bill.

I gradually start storing bags into the garage in late Summer so I've built up a fair amount before we even turn the burner on. All paid for.

I think there's over 20 bags in there now and I keep gradually adding to them to keep the level up.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Because you've already paid for the bags so you're not going to get some outlandish bill.

I gradually start storing bags into the garage in late Summer so I've built up a fair amount before we even turn the burner on. All paid for.

I think there's over 20 bags in there now and I keep gradually adding to them to keep the level up.

We've got a smart meter, so we can see daily what our usage is, Pete. Down to half hourly segments. 

The price of wood pellets shot up this year here.

We've got a log fire in the lounge too, but it's a bit of a faff to light it at times, so we just use it at the weekend now, for a bit of ambient light and heat.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

An aircon unit which gives 3kw units to 1 of conventional heat (boiler etc) would be cheaper. And nicer in the summer.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

An aircon unit which gives 3kw units to 1 of conventional heat (boiler etc) would be cheaper. And nicer in the summer.

Different sort of heat though.....you switch them off and the heat's gone.

• Like 4

Just now, XTreme said:

Different sort of heat though.....you switch them off and the heat's gone.

That's what I expected but not what I've found. The house warms up and retains the heat. Bit like your pellet burner I've found an hour in the morning is enough to warm up the house and stay warm, I notice no depreciation in warmth until way after sundown. In the evening if I forget to turn it off after 2 hours I start thinking bloody hell its hot in here 😆 Suppose it depend how well insulated your house is, this place is very good. My home in Blighty is terrible. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, XTreme said:

How much is a bag though?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That's what I expected but not what I've found. The house warms up and retains the heat. Bit like your pellet burner I've found an hour in the morning is enough to warm up the house and stay warm, I notice no depreciation in warmth until way after sundown. In the evening if I forget to turn it off after 2 hours I start thinking bloody hell its hot in here 😆 Suppose it depend how well insulated your house is, this place is very good. My home in Blighty is terrible. 

You've got a very different climate to here though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tango said:

I've only ever soldered the wires together and put some heatshrink over the joints, which is pretty much what you've got there, Bob. Red to brown and brown to red? I guess it works. 😂😂😂

Well it definitely works cos I rode it home :classic_laugh:  The principle of the solder seal connectors is the same as you do it (and how I used to do it) but without all the faff.  All you need are some wire strippers and a good heat gun .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Well it definitely works cos I rode it home :classic_laugh:  The principle of the solder seal connectors is the same as you do it (and how I used to do it) but without all the faff.  All you need are some wire strippers and a good heat gun .

I've used them and found them good. Only thing I'd do is extend the wires having them right away from the headstock movement. 

• Like 3

Morning. 
Glad I got any outdoor jobs finished yesterday because it’s another national holiday today. The Immaculate Conception, which makes me wonder if Mary was superhuman given that baby Jeez was born on Crimble Day and she must of been gestating for over a year 😂

Tomorrows weather might not be riding weather? Going to have to find the garage keys which I last saw in April 😱😆

ABF5AB47-454B-4F9E-AB0B-DC6D90E8DF2F.thumb.jpeg.565c9cfcbcf7231350e97c6da4582d99.jpeg

• Like 3