What are you reading?

Skippy

Contrary to popular belief I am a Londoner and surprisingly I’m able to read………although pictures are also good. 😜

Currently reading this. If you’re into First World War literature then this is one to read; really brings home the utter bravery on display and the staunch belief that they were fighting for all the right reasons.

God help us if the current crop of youngsters ever have to step up. 😱

28D61D69-154F-4C0B-8C72-34016656F5C3.jpeg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I've just finished this , it's 20 years old now so not current but shows you how engrained the Camorra (Naples Mafia) are in everyday life there.

IMG_2927.thumb.jpeg.e482cd777c679621b069e747def60105.jpeg

Looks good Bob, might see if I can pick up a copy.

7 hours ago, Skippy said:

Contrary to popular belief I am a Londoner and surprisingly I’m able to read………although pictures are also good. 😜

Currently reading this. If you’re into First World War literature then this is one to read; really brings home the utter bravery on display and the staunch belief that they were fighting for all the right reasons.

God help us if the current crop of youngsters ever have to step up. 😱

28D61D69-154F-4C0B-8C72-34016656F5C3.jpeg

Hopefully the connectivity that the internet has brought means that globally youngsters are all pretty much the same. 
Imagine that, everyone says “No ta” 😂

• Haha 1

I'm reading RICHTHOFFEN THE RED NIGHT OF THE AIR written in 1935, quite good, only halfway through though, CALL ME EMPTY by S P Muir, a London despatch rider of the 80s memoir and BLACK CAMELOT by Duncan Kyle at the moment.

The red baron book is good. I have learnt he started off as a cavalry officer and fought in Russia on horse as well as in the trenches on foot before becoming an observer in a 2 man plane. Becoming a pilot was not really his plan at the start of the war. In fact being an observer usually meant you weren't allowed to learn to fly as they were considered more valuable than the actual pilots and harder to replace.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

The red baron book is good. I have learnt he started off as a cavalry officer and fought in Russia on horse as well as in the trenches on foot before becoming an observer in a 2 man plane.

Bet you can't wait till they get to the Corpses bit Yen! 

Golden Girls Lol GIF by HULU

27 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Bet you can't wait till they get to the Corpses bit Yen! 

Golden Girls Lol GIF by HULU

Luckily, I'm already there, his comrades are dying all the time in the last few chapters, the Brits have introduced new aircraft that now have a fighting chance, I'm up to 1917, he can't last much longer himself now. Oddly, no mention of Snoopy yet????

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hopefully the connectivity that the internet has brought means that globally youngsters are all pretty much the same. 
Imagine that, everyone says “No ta” 😂

Pretty much all selfish and expect to be spoon fed has been my experience unfortunately. There are some exceptions thankfully.

• Like 2

I’ve just finished stories of a London dispatch rider in the 80’s called “Where are you now?” by S P Muir

It’s pretty short and wasn’t bad. He clearly held back on some of the really good stuff, I’m guessing from the tone of the book because he’s still afraid of upsetting the met police!

Now I’m reading “The Adventures of An Introvert” by David Chapman which I’m hoping will warm up soon cos at the moment I’m bored with his wouldn’t say boo to a goose way of living. 

38 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’ve just finished stories of a London dispatch rider in the 80’s called “Where are you now?” by S P Muir

Call me Empty as per my post above is the 3rd in the series.

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Generational disapproval a story as old as time. 

Not really, just my observations based on 12 years service with Military Survey, another 12 years lecturing at a university and God knows how many years listening to my friends tales of woe about their whinging kids. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2