First-time insurance claim? (Bennetts Insurance/4th D)

PeteSouthgate

I'm looking for some advice, the other day my bike was parked inside a motorcycle bay and a car reversed into my bike knocking it over. I didn't see the incident but the driver of the car kindly left me a note on my bike letting me know what had happened and their contact details.

The bike has quite a bit of cosmetic damage now to the side of it (scratches all over the side it fell on and then a little indent bump on the other side of the body where the contact was made).

When I got home I got in contact with the other driver and they passed me over their details and insurance policy details.

My next move was to call my insurer Bennetts, they went through preliminary questions and told me I'd be contacted by the claims team tomorrow for a more detailed follow-up. This afternoon I was contacted by 4th Dimension who underwrites on behalf of Bennetts (I think?) to question me about the incident. The rep from 4th Dimension then asked whether I'd like to claim on my policy or the other driver's; since I'm not at fault I decided to choose the other driver's policy.

After the phone call, I then had a little Google search for 4th Dimension and saw a whole array of 1-star reviews which has now led me to become very anxious about the situation - especially considering it's my first ever claim.

Has anyone gotten some advice on how I'm handling the situation thus far? Should I be doing anything further in the meantime?

Would be good to hear of any experiences with these companies...

TIA

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PeteSouthgate said:

I'm looking for some advice, the other day my bike was parked inside a motorcycle bay and a car reversed into my bike knocking it over. I didn't see the incident but the driver of the car kindly left me a note on my bike letting me know what had happened and their contact details.

The bike has quite a bit of cosmetic damage now to the side of it (scratches all over the side it fell on and then a little indent bump on the other side of the body where the contact was made).

When I got home I got in contact with the other driver and they passed me over their details and insurance policy details.

My next move was to call my insurer Bennetts, they went through preliminary questions and told me I'd be contacted by the claims team tomorrow for a more detailed follow-up. This afternoon I was contacted by 4th Dimension who underwrites on behalf of Bennetts (I think?) to question me about the incident. The rep from 4th Dimension then asked whether I'd like to claim on my policy or the other driver's; since I'm not at fault I decided to choose the other driver's policy.

After the phone call, I then had a little Google search for 4th Dimension and saw a whole array of 1-star reviews which has now led me to become very anxious about the situation - especially considering it's my first ever claim.

Has anyone gotten some advice on how I'm handling the situation thus far? Should I be doing anything further in the meantime?

Would be good to hear of any experiences with these companies...

TIA

No idea on this......and considering Bennetts are a big outfit why are 4th Dimension involved?

Anybody else got any experience with stuff like this?

My involvement with 4th dimension is they are an out sourced company who deal with the damage report and the insurance company go on their report as to if the bike is a write off or not 

• Like 1

Just now, XTreme said:

He went onto an Enfield craze as I recall.....unless he's gone back to his Vespa craze?

He used to refer to his Vespa as a bike despite the fact it was a Vespa.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That's some bumper!

Well that's for eveything Pete... Paint. Labor... Bumper is 1800. 00 can.(.or 2 million Spanish pasos) ... Alone without paint.. Now if I would have showed up to the business at fault with a bike like yours... I bet they would have told me to F.. Off... They don't mess around here with harley riders... 

• Haha 2

tell the fella to not go through insurance if you can , even if you claim off his insurance you will have to  declare you made a claim fault or non fault  when you get quotes for the next 4 or 5 years and it will probably put your insurance up

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Six30 said:

tell the fella to not go through insurance if you can , even if you claim off his insurance you will have to  declare you made a claim fault or non fault  when you get quotes for the next 4 or 5 years and it will probably put your insurance up

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1