The Nightmare hasn't returned yet!

XTreme

The GS went back to the dealers on the 4th July......we've now got to the 20th and it's still not up for sale again!

So.....is it beyond repair, or are they going to try and out it through the trade and cut their losses?

Cos make no mistake, it's a bad one! Some bikes are just cursed! I suspect @Clive's Tiger was another one!

Anybody else had a cursed one?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Bought a few month old tiger 1050 sport about 6 years back , noticed oil around the head after couple of days …. Triumph replaced the head … in all fairness they was good and was only with out it for just over a week apart from that no other dramas 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The GS went back to the dealers on the 4th July......we've now got to the 20th and it's still not up for sale again!

So.....is it beyond repair, or are they going to try and out it through the trade and cut their losses?

Cos make no mistake, it's a bad one! Some bikes are just cursed! I suspect @Clive's Tiger was another one!

My 1150, I loved that bike, the balance on rough roads and the feeling it would always stop on a dime with a passenger no matter what kind of road, I also liked you could do a week's traveling on back roads and never really go above 2500 rpm. It's what got me touring with Maria so really fond memories of it, but it never really rode right.

It was a 2001 or 2003 bike, I don't remember, imported from Hong Kong a couple of years after. I must have bought it with a clocked odometer as I got it with just 50 something thousand and sold with it 75000km. The gear change was always hard to get right at the end of a long day, the engine was perfectly smooth after my mechanic synched the throttles and adjusted valves but pretty vibey on the motorway after a few thousand kms. It rode fine balance wise, but something about that engine and gearbox made it tiresome after a few hours on the road, the hotter the weather the worse it got.

After I sold it, a bearing inside the gearbox fell apart completely and it had to be completely torn apart, and a few weeks later the diff also needed a proper rebuild even though the tolerances were set straight at my last service when replacing the bearing and seal. 

Here it is looking cool:

IMG_0691.thumb.JPG.0bc8f3ce7646200999196088ea68c5a0.JPG

And looking less cool:

IMG_0326.thumb.JPG.9c4e8127ad65169a6217b31fd2634708.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, XTreme said:

When Bruce told me the Tiger would not be a free ride to get it back on the road I should have heeded his warning.

It tried my wallet, my patience,  and my sanity, but while it was running it was a very nice ride, but the carbs ( they were in a bad state after being stood so long) were always a bit of a problem, some day it would run fine, the next, it would loose a little power, or stall at every junction.

Maybe ( most likely) I over estimated my capabilities  and i should have said Thanks, but no thanks.

I read so much on the Triumph forum about the problems that came with Tigers of that vintage, the starter sprag  clutch weakness being a big one, and if it went, which it did, it would require a engine strip down that I had neither the tools or mechanical competence to achieve.

Jinxed,  i don't know, just maybe it was stood too long in Bruce's garage.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Bought a few month old tiger 1050 sport about 6 years back , noticed oil around the head after couple of days …. Triumph replaced the head … in all fairness they was good and was only with out it for just over a week apart from that no other dramas 

That's not exactly a nightmare though.....more of a nuisance!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clive said:

When Bruce told me the Tiger would not be a free ride to get it back on the road I should have heeded his warning.

It tried my wallet, my patience,  and my sanity, but while it was running it was a very nice ride, but the carbs ( they were in a bad state after being stood so long) were always a bit of a problem, some day it would run fine, the next, it would loose a little power, or stall at every junction.

Maybe ( most likely) I over estimated my capabilities  and i should have said Thanks, but no thanks.

I read so much on the Triumph forum about the problems that came with Tigers of that vintage, the starter sprag  clutch weakness being a big one, and if it went, which it did, it would require a engine strip down that I had neither the tools or mechanical competence to achieve.

Jinxed,  i don't know, just maybe it was stood too long in Bruce's garage.

From what I can remember (and this was a very long time ago) he was always potching about with it doing something or other.

So I don't think it was a set it and forget it bike at any time!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Clive said:

it was stood too long in Bruce's garage.

It was fine when he was using it. Never missed a beat riding around Scotland and the islands.

• Like 4

Just now, Specs said:

It was fine when he was using it. Never missed a beat riding around Scotland and the islands.

He was always doing something to it as I recall Alan.....besides building his dustbins!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

He was always doing something to it as I recall Alan.....besides building his dustbins!

That was before the Scotland trip. I think it took second place to the holes in the water which he fills with money after that, and it was neglected.

• Like 4

I had a Triumph Trophy 900 about 17 years ago, which had a hard life, used year round but not properly cleaned from what I could see. I only bought it because I couldn't afford anything more. 

The oil cooler cracked after I'd had it about a year. I wasn't far from home, so I limped it back. Replaced the cooler with one from a breakers and that was sorted. Fork oil seals went, but that's not unusual for a bike of its age. Rebuilt the forks myself. My biggest gripe with it was that the headers were stainless, but the end cans were mild steel. Consequently the cans would rot from the inside out. Very few aftermarket cans available for it and decent secondhand cans were rarer than rocking horse shit. I found some semi respectable cans eventually. 

Other than that it went well for the 5 years I had it.

But I veer towards naked bikes more now, as so much gets neglected behind the fairings of a lot of fully faired bikes. Out of sight, out of mind! 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Specs said:

10 or more years stood in a garage will not do any bike any good, if It had been started on a regular basis it may have stood better...

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, XTreme said:

From what I can remember (and this was a very long time ago) he was always potching about with it doing something or other.

So I don't think it was a set it and forget it bike at any time!

With petrol still being in the tank it gunked up the petrol tap, tank breather pipe, and had continued to slowly seep through the carbs, the middle one was by far the worst, Bruce gave me a spare set of carbs, I assumed they were the correct ones for the bike, I only fitted one to replace the very bad  (corroded) middle carb, 

It would/could have been a different story if the tank and carbs had been drained.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Clive said:

With petrol still being in the tank it gunked up the petrol tap, tank breather pipe, and had continued to slowly seep through the carbs, the middle one was by far the worst, Bruce gave me a spare set of carbs, I assumed they were the correct ones for the bike, I only fitted one to replace the very bad  (corroded) middle carb, 

It would/could have been a different story if the tank and carbs had been drained.

In his defence he did build some mammoth dustbins the size of a shipping container.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, XTreme said:

In his defence he did build some mammoth dustbins the size of a shipping container.

I know,  I saw them.  😀

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Fuck off then with your nightmares 

A nightmare for you would be if you couldn't get the van door open!

• Haha 2

Just now, XTreme said:

A nightmare for you would be if you couldn't get the van door open!

Why do I even bother … I try to interact with the  rest of the group sensibly but my nightmare isn’t good enough , more of a slight nuisance , thanks 

how much was the subs on other place ….

• Haha 6

59 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Why do I even bother … I try to interact with the  rest of the group sensibly but my nightmare isn’t good enough , more of a slight nuisance , thanks 

how much was the subs on other place ….

We'll chip in and pay them.....what you say everybody?

Lilly Singh Yes GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

I followed him on the way to Tregaron when he had the original ones on. I thought that he'd come off on every bend as they were so low. I can't remember whether he rebuilt them or whether he lifted them up a bit. Couldn't go much quicker than about 65mph as I remember due to a weave setting in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Here is Bruce admiring his handiwork, the Mk1 panniers.

The other guy is my mate Titus who has just been to Kiev, left on Monday, on that bike, the Harley. He has just crossed from Moldova to Romania, heading for the Vatican where he hopes to be appointed as the next pope.

The KTM is the bike that I wished I'd kept, but would never be able to get on it these days - far too tall.

CIMG2471.thumb.JPG.0501cf184e0fcffbcd69c565e9913bf2.JPG

• Like 7