Memorable Motorcycling Moments!

XTreme

All of us here have been riding a very long time........and over the years I find there's always certain things that stay in my memory. You may have forgotten virtually everything about a particular year.......but certain incidents (or certain people) you never forget.

This one goes back to 1972 and there was this one guy, Dai Tanner, who used to fall off his bike! A lot!

Back in those days we were always in a pack......so it was guaranteed he was going to do it in front of everybody at some point.

And the first time he did it......he started crying! Everybody was horrified cos he was shaming us (this was the Greaser/Skinhead era).......so he got told that if he cried again he'd get a twatting.

Sure enough he kept falling off......and everytime he did he started his snivelling. So we'd all run over to him (even if he was still on the floor) and give him a fucking belting! :classic_laugh:

If anybody missed the run, and they found out he'd been crying, they'd just give him another fucking smack as soon as they saw him. He gave up bikes in the end. Maybe it wasn't for him.

OK......let's have your memorable moments!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BusBoy said:

First bike was an XT 550 thumper. Getting on for the first time and gingerly taking her out. The awesome power on tap was completely novel and I was both in awe and terrified at the same time. We so quickly get used to that power, but popping that cherry, will never forget it. Oh yes. First ride  I mention was after first getting on and wheeling it straight into a stop sign. Those 5 seconds are what probably saved my life. I took the bike back along quiet roads after that.

You weren't bollocks naked were you Bruce? :classic_laugh:

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm looking forward to the report from @Buckster about the day he took a camera with him! :classic_laugh:

What you say @Tym?

I remember that day well, unfortunately I dont have any pictures, pesky lens cap. 

• Haha 3

I've got a few moments that are deeply memorable, but most memorable are two:

2014, first trip to Morocco on the 1150GS with my girlfriend, we arrive at Tangier on mid afternoon and spend an hour or two on customs, sort of lost and not really understanding what we were doing on each paperwork booth, I remember not being in a rush and sort of savoring the moment because it felt like all the adventure books and reports I had read. Then, as they slowly opened the harbor customs' gates we roll onto the seafront avenue in search of our hotel that was on the same avenue. It was quite warm and late afternoon by then, riding slowly with my jacket open, going past the bad fish smell that used to be in front of the old docks (now it looks like a nice european city), I remember the first roundabout and the first moments in morrocan city traffic, the usual gathering of guys at the end of the afternoon, what I remember as most memorable is the feeling of adventure and literally smelling Africa as we roll out of customs. It's maybe too romantic, but I do remember that I would never feel like that again, and I was right an the next few times that feeling got replaced by familiarity. This is on video, but for some reason both my external hard drives have not been cooperating and I am waiting for my brother to help me out with them, it'll take a while as he's in Croacia.

2017, the fourth trip to Morocco, second trip on the current 1200GSA, we get out of home at around 9AM on a saturday on late September, weather is nice but morning chilly, we get onto the motorway heading south and cross the Tejo river north of Lisbon and the bike feels specially smooth while we cruise at 120 or 130kmh, I remember thinking that we had a whole trip and adventure ahead of us, I remember the light, asking Maria if she was comfy. I appreciated that moment as it happened and would have been happy if that was the last moment in my life, the feeling of enjoyment of a whole trip ahead.

The plan was to ride straight to Morocco that day, but the weather was so nice that when we got to the Algarve we decided to cut the day short, have a nice grilled fish lunch, and go have a swim in the ocean in the afternoon. Then a nice dinner and too much wine, it was one of the best days of my life. I remember the before was a saturday because on the next day, a sunday at around 07:00AM we are leaving home to heading to Tarifa and I remember to casually check my insurance papers to find that Morocco wasn't in my policy, and all insurance offices would be closed because it was a sunday ?. My mate Paulo, who does my insurances handled it at 8:00AM when I woke him up with a call, and that's why I will always have my bike's insurance with him.

Another one, long time ago, I think maybe 2006, I was on a ride on my Transalp to the Serra da Estrela, got off the road onto a dirt road for 100 or 200 meters, and stopped for a piss. Parked the bike and left the helmet on top. As I finish and turn back to the bike I notice a dog is sniffing it, I assume it's a curious shepherd's dog but as it round the bike I see it's a little big for a dog, with a long snout, it's an Iberian wolf, which is quite smaller and thinner than north american wolves but still I was shitting myself. It moved 1 or 2 meters from the bike  towards me, and I'm frozen with fear. It just quietly sniffed the air, and walked away. It was scary as hell.

• Like 5

those big Yammy thumpers can draw blood. One kicked back and caught my shin, laid it open over the bone, took forever to heal that one and of course I whacked it a zillion times on various pieces of furniture.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BusBoy said:

The XT 550 was a fantastic upgrade to the 500. Especially the electronic ignition. My mate shortly got a 500 on seeing my thrill. He struggled to start it. No fear, I had eventually mastered mine on discovering the compression stroke. Full of confidence I lined the 500 onto the compression stroke, jumped up high onto the kick lever and gave that sucker some serious welly. Whereupon the fucking thing kicked back launching me clean over the handlebars and the kick start lever continued on it's merry way to plough into the clutch cover leaving a 2 inch gash and a puddle of oil underneath. Nothing a bit of plastic metal couldn't fix though. It was another auspicious start.

A mate here recently sold a xl500 coz he had trouble starting it. He just got a xt500.??

Hasn't had it running yet but I don't think he'll have it long.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BusBoy said:

This! Yes! It's the first thing you notice when de-boarding a plane etc on landing in Africa and peculiar to it. The smell of earth.

In the Algarve, when southern winds bring dust from Africa you can sometimes smell a little bit of it. It's a great thing that smells like you're in an Indiana Jones movie

• Like 1

My top 5 all involve towing a  KLR.....my best trailer report will come from this sweet double axle rental from Texas!

14706823_1429050173791462_5072611228224739776_o.thumb.jpg.636dcc3f8c798b283b1b9e8f806f58cc.jpg

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Pedro said:

In the Algarve, when southern winds bring dust from Africa you can sometimes smell a little bit of it. It's a great thing that smells like you're in an Indiana Jones movie

Scotland smells like haggis and deep fried Marsbars.

12 hours ago, BusBoy said:

This! Yes! It's the first thing you notice when de-boarding a plane etc on landing in Africa and peculiar to it. The smell of earth.

Always the same approaching land in the tropics after a prolonged spell at sea. You could smell the jungle and earth.

On 13/05/2020 at 09:44, BusBoy said:

If you aren't a master at setting points and timing it's an absolute pig ? Get it right and she is a beauty. Until they go out ? The joy of that bike is wholly dependent on how maintenance proactive you are.

He's not.?

My memorable motorcycling moment came in April 2002.  On that day I rode a trail bike again , minus half of my left leg.  I had no idea when I set off that morning wether I'd still be able to ride on rough surfaces, wether I'd be able to balance, change gear and lots of other things that were going through my head.

When I got back from that ride you couldn't wipe the grin from my face for days ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, boboneleg said:

My memorable motorcycling moment came in April 2002.  On that day I rode a trail bike again , minus half of my left leg.  I had no idea when I set off that morning wether I'd still be able to ride on rough surfaces, wether I'd be able to balance, change gear and lots of other things that were going through my head.

When I got back from that ride you couldn't wipe the grin from my face for days ?

The thought of that moment for you has me welling up a bit here Bob for some reason, it must have been a great feeling, i will say you ride a lot better on the trails then most of my two legged friends it certainly doesn't hold you back ?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Pedro said:

How do you change gear, Bob?

I use my heal noe Pedro, I started off with a push button gear changer but the electrics weren't keen on river crossings ??

15 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The thought of that moment for you has me welling up a bit here Bob for some reason, it must have been a great feeling, i will say you ride a lot better on the trails then most of my two legged friends it certainly doesn't hold you back ?

Cheers Fred.

Apart from my family, motorcycles are what keeps me going, the commeraderie amongst bikers is like no other group of people.

• Like 5

My 18th birthday.....and I put a big screen on my 3TA!

Went to the pub in the day and had a skinful! Then another skinful in the night! Then got home about midnight and rode straight into the garage doors and smashed the screen to pieces!

We've all done it! :classic_unsure:

• Haha 2

June 2019, I'm in the Algarve and it's a warm night. I need groceries so decide to take the bike and my backpack, go have a pizza and then to the supermarket. As I am leaving I remember I forgot the backpack and go back inside for it, then on the way to the restaurant riding down an avenue on shorts and tshirt at 21:00 I am thinking: "man, summer evenings here sure are great, such warm air all over your body, I can't even tell I'm wearing my helmet" and as I am parking the bike and walking to the pizza place I go to take the helmet strap off and there you go, forgot my helmet at home. I was sober!

I would need to ride past a police station to go home, which I don't have the nerve to do as riding with no helmet gets your license taken away, so after dinner I walk back to get the helmet like a twat.

• Haha 5

I should say, on the way to the restaurant with a smile on my face I give this nod to a cop that is looking at me riding past him like saying: I see you, and I respect cops, have a nice evening   :littleguy:

14 hours ago, Pedro said:

June 2019, I'm in the Algarve and it's a warm night. I need groceries so decide to take the bike and my backpack, go have a pizza and then to the supermarket. As I am leaving I remember I forgot the backpack and go back inside for it, then on the way to the restaurant riding down an avenue on shorts and tshirt at 21:00 I am thinking: "man, summer evenings here sure are great, such warm air all over your body, I can't even tell I'm wearing my helmet" and as I am parking the bike and walking to the pizza place I go to take the helmet strap off and there you go, forgot my helmet at home. I was sober!

I would need to ride past a police station to go home, which I don't have the nerve to do as riding with no helmet gets your license taken away, so after dinner I walk back to get the helmet like a twat.

I rode to a filling station to get some petrol on my Lambretta when I first had it, after paying I came out and couldn't find my helmet.  After a lot of searching I rode home without it thinking someone had stolen it. When I got back I found it sitting on the shelf in my flat :twat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Staying on the subject of helmets years ago when me and the wife used to go out on the bike i'd chain the helmets to the wheel of the bike so we wouldn't have to carry them with us, This one particular day we stopped at the seaside and went for a walk about and when we got back to the bike later i put the helmet on and it was wet the day was dry so in the few seconds thinking why is it wet the smell hit me something i'm presuming a dog had pissed inside my helmet and i had to ride home with it? I make sure the helmets are off the floor now when i lock them up

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Staying on the subject of helmets years ago when me and the wife used to go out on the bike i'd chain the helmets to the wheel of the bike so we wouldn't have to carry them with us, This one particular day we stopped at the seaside and went for a walk about and when we got back to the bike later i put the helmet on and it was wet the day was dry so in the few seconds thinking why is it wet the smell hit me something i'm presuming a dog had pissed inside my helmet and i had to ride home with it? I make sure the helmets are off the floor now when i lock them up

Oooops ! it was your helmet was it ?     

SORRY

• Haha 4