Two strokes on the road

Grace (BikeHedonia)

11 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Why is this all memories? Are you guys still allowed to run two-strokes in the UK/europe as long as they're vintage? I realise they would heartily fail all emissions standards

There are still some small capacity 2-stroke bikes available here, but the bigger ones are mostly older and people want silly money for them now. Saw a Suzuki 250 Hustler for sale on a selling site here recently and it wasn't priced too bad, but getting parts for a 50 year old bike could be a challenge! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why is this all memories? Are you guys still allowed to run two-strokes in the UK/europe as long as they're vintage? I realise they would heartily fail all emissions standards

Yes they are , we have two 2-stroke racers in our workshop,  A TZ250 and a RG500 :classic_cool:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tango said:

There are still some small capacity 2-stroke bikes available here, but the bigger ones are mostly older and people want silly money for them now. Saw a Suzuki 250 Hustler for sale on a selling site here recently and it wasn't priced too bad, but getting parts for a 50 year old bike could be a challenge! 

I am just going to take a moment to appreciate the glory which is naming a motorcycle "Hustler". Ah yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They're impractical really, even the auto mix bikes like the CRM, you can't always trust the mix and they use nearly twice as much fuel so you can't have a route that doesn't include nearby fuel stops
They are great fun and give max power for minimum weight, my GasGas EC300 was a monster on power, I got it up to nearly 80mph over the rocks on Sarn Helen coming back down towards the gate :), it's capable of higher speeds not not with me on it over rocks 🙂, my two CRM's were awesome too and I remember my old RD250LC was quite a beast in it's day

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cupid Stunt said:

They're impractical really, even the auto mix bikes like the CRM, you can't always trust the mix and they use nearly twice as much fuel so you can't have a route that doesn't include nearby fuel stops
They are great fun and give max power for minimum weight, my GasGas EC300 was a monster on power, I got it up to nearly 80mph over the rocks on Sarn Helen coming back down towards the gate :), it's capable of higher speeds not not with me on it over rocks 🙂, my two CRM's were awesome too and I remember my old RD250LC was quite a beast in it's day

I know what you mean about mixing fuel for EC300s and how they go like the clappers...  I forgive them everything, including the inconvenience, just for the power-to-weight ratio. My friends over here are all getting around on KLX250s, no power and I can't lift the damn things. Still, sometimes EC300s get sleepy too...

IMG_20210809_130149 (1).jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

I know what you mean about mixing fuel for EC300s and how they go like the clappers...  I forgive them everything, including the inconvenience, just for the power-to-weight ratio. My friends over here are all getting around on KLX250s, no power and I can't lift the damn things. Still, sometimes EC300s get sleepy too...

IMG_20210809_130149 (1).jpg

So damn cool! 😎 

On 09/11/2021 at 23:34, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Yup you can still get new 2 strokes here but mostly dirt bikes rather than road bikes, this one is road legal but prefer the four strokes to 2 stroke though.
Here's mine out with a mate last Sunday

IMG_2970.thumb.JPG.718060b14087466450656c517c480fef.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yup you can still get new 2 strokes here but mostly dirt bikes rather than road bikes, this one is road legal but prefer the four strokes to 2 stroke though.
Here's mine out with a mate last Sunday

IMG_2970.thumb.JPG.718060b14087466450656c517c480fef.JPG

I can't help it, ever since I got on a two stroke for the first time earlier this year, I have been lost to the dark side... 

• Like 4

On 09/11/2021 at 23:34, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

there are lots in Portugal, big revival!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2021 at 10:57, Cupid Stunt said:

used to have 2 350lc's and they would excelerate quite swiftly

23 minutes ago, skyrider said:

the 550 was a popular model

74 h2b 750

Body was

GPZ 550 sidecovers and fairing

Z1000st seat and tail

GPZ 1100 tank

Front fender I found in the dealer I was a tech at.

Frame welding was done by my brother and all motor work and wiring was done by me.

This was after this 74 almost killed me.

But before I went overboard with the motor.

Now I just play in the woods when I need to get crazy but I have ended up in the hospital more off road than on.. 

• Like 2