16 Years ago today.......

XTreme

.......we left Britain! It seems longer than that really because so much has happened during those years.

The two kids have left the country (Scott in 2013 and Steve in 2016), and the three dogs that came with us have long gone!

We rescued four dogs here and are now down to one! We also rescued Dylan (the donkey) in 2006 and we lost him two years ago.

I brought an XT660 and an XT350 with me......

FILE251-min.JPG.5492549d5d239418df40d0cd143bb6c9.JPG

FILE271.JPG.fb7c34345ae6cb7738bd6f394d6f6bbc.JPG

......the 660 went 2 months later and the 350 18 months later!

So there's been a lot of changes over the 16 year period. But one thing hasn't changed, and that's the fact that we've never regretted it!

We said when we left that we'd never set foot in Britain again......and we haven't! 

Spain isn't perfect, and it ain't for everybody......but it'll do for us!

• Like 6

Glad its been such a success for you. I can  see the appeal. I suppose the not setting foot in Britain again is down to bad experiences but for me theres lots about the place I love, cant imagine never going back, not that Ive got a lot of choice since Brexit 😂😢

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Glad its been such a success for you. I can  see the appeal. I suppose the not setting foot in Britain again is down to bad experiences but for me theres lots about the place I love, cant imagine never going back, not that Ive got a lot of choice since Brexit 😂😢

We always felt like fish out of water there Caroline.......as if we weren't meant to be there. We'd have left 30 years ago if not for the fact that we had family commitments that we had to honour, and it wasn't until 2005 that those commitments ceased to exist.

When we set foot in Spain for the first time it just felt natural.....like we'd finally come home. Very strange feeling.

Even now, we're very uncomfortable around Brits......but totally at ease with the Spanish. But having said that, we're not the sort of people that find it necessary to have other people around us......we just do our own thing.

I've always said to people thinking of coming over that it's not a matter of Spain being right for you.......it's a matter of you being right for Spain. And the majority are not because they're too entrenched in their British ways and mentality.

We never had British ways or mentality so it was never a case of integrating here.......we carried on as we always did and our ways were a good fit.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, XTreme said:

When we set foot in Spain for the first time it just felt natural.....like we'd finally come home. Very strange feeling.

I've always said to people thinking of coming over that it's not a matter of Spain being right for you.......it's a matter of you being right for Spain. And the majority are not because they're too entrenched in their British ways and mentality.

I completely get this bit because that’s what we’re feeling, it feels so right. I just find Spanish peoples way easy, like being uptight doesn’t come naturally to them- unlike my British friends. I am surprised how well we seem to be getting on with the Spanish we’ve encountered, I thought they hated all brits but I’m not getting that at all, far too many smiles, laughter and offers of help, although I’m sure the speed conversational translation apps work now allowing the communication barrier to be removed has played a big part. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I completely get this bit because that’s what we’re feeling, it feels so right. I just find Spanish peoples way easy, like being uptight doesn’t come naturally to them- unlike my British friends. I am surprised how well we seem to be getting on with the Spanish we’ve encountered, I thought they hated all brits but I’m not getting that at all, far too many smiles, laughter and offers of help, although I’m sure the speed conversational translation apps work now allowing the communication barrier to be removed has played a big part. 

They accept you as you are......which says a lot about them considering the self-entitled garbage Brits with superior attitudes that they've had to tolerate for years.

That's not to say that there aren't Spanish who are assholes, cos there are.....but they're a small minority. And usually other Spaniards will warn you.

Don't believe this bollocks that you'll never be accepted unless you're Spanish......because they've got Spaniards who they can't tolerate in the same way as we have Brits we can't tolerate. This mantra is always recited by Brits that the Spanish don't like. And probably for very good reason too.

Now here's some advice:

Don't hang about with Brits cos you end up in a "them and us" scenario in terms of how the Spanish will view you.

If you need work done always use a local Spaniard. Make connections and get recommendations for other tradesmen from them.

Smile and say hello to all Spaniards.....but keep your head down and avoid any Brits whenever possible.

Don't trust Brits.....they'll want to know all your business, they'll talk behind your back, and if the opportunity presents itself they'll try and make money out of you.

Don't believe a word any Brit says....if you listen to them they were all big players back in the UK despite the fact that they're now trying to flog shit on Brit car boot sales.

And the final thing.....just be yourself, be natural, and never get into the Brit mindset of thinking you're doing the Spanish a favour by being there. You're not......in fact they're doing us a favour by making us welcome in their country.

That being said, there are some nice Brits over here.......but until you're sure of them just be on your guard.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

Your 200km trip for a cup o tea tends to contradict that statement :classic_laugh:

Just because I like a cup of proper tea (have you ever tasted Spanish tea?) doesn't make me some sort of EDL/Britain First supporting flag shagger!

I also like Chinese food......that doesn't make me Jackie fucking Chan does it?

scared surprised GIF

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

They accept you as you are......which says a lot about them considering the self-entitled garbage Brits with superior attitudes that they've had to tolerate for years.

That's not to say that there aren't Spanish who are assholes, cos there are.....but they're a small minority. And usually other Spaniards will warn you.

Don't believe this bollocks that you'll never be accepted unless you're Spanish......because they've got Spaniards who they can't tolerate in the same way as we have Brits we can't tolerate. This mantra is always recited by Brits that the Spanish don't like. And probably for very good reason too.

Now here's some advice:

Don't hang about with Brits cos you end up in a "them and us" scenario in terms of how the Spanish will view you.

If you need work done always use a local Spaniard. Make connections and get recommendations for other tradesmen from them.

Smile and say hello to all Spaniards.....but keep your head down and avoid any Brits whenever possible.

Don't trust Brits.....they'll want to know all your business, they'll talk behind your back, and if the opportunity presents itself they'll try and make money out of you.

Don't believe a word any Brit says....if you listen to them they were all big players back in the UK despite the fact that they're now trying to flog shit on Brit car boot sales.

And the final thing.....just be yourself, be natural, and never get into the Brit mindset of thinking you're doing the Spanish a favour by being there. You're not......in fact they're doing us a favour by making us welcome in their country.

That being said, there are some nice Brits over here.......but until you're sure of them just be on your guard.

Thanks for the advice. 
I have always approached other countries with the idea Im a guest in their country and have never considered my presence anywhere a gift to anyone 🤣 plus Ive reached an age where being myself happens regardless of my intentions so that parts sorted 😂

Ive seen what youre talking about, the superiority thing is cringingly rude.
Mr Slowly and I like our own company and making friends with Brits is not something I want at all. Having said that the Brit that went up to the next motorway junction and came back cos he saw us broken down was a lovely guy, a Kwak rider though but I wouldn’t hold that against him 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Just because I like a cup of proper tea (have you ever tasted Spanish tea?) doesn't make me some sort of EDL/Britain First supporting flag shagger!

I also like Chinese food......that doesn't make me Jackie fucking Chan does it?

scared surprised GIF

Yes but is there anything more British than a cup of tea :littleguy: I'd be ok i don't like the stuff :classic_laugh:
and i'm not saying this is you but it sure looks like you at this protest :rofl:

AP_17091863492003-edit-1525284369.thumb.jpg.299669afd80cf163c01fb32e3beecf2b.jpg

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes but is there anything more British than a cup of tea :littleguy: I'd be ok i don't like the stuff :classic_laugh:
and i'm not saying this is you but it sure looks like you at this protest :rofl:

AP_17091863492003-edit-1525284369.thumb.jpg.299669afd80cf163c01fb32e3beecf2b.jpg

You dont like tea? What sort of fresh hell is this?

I bought a ‘few’ teabags over in my panniers, Im already 3/4s of my way down the first one in less that 4 days, tea is the balm the world needs, people cant do bad things while drinking tea 😂

FBA70A7F-5B95-4377-BDB0-CFF9B7C4DB34.thumb.jpeg.0375aea1592c55e776bfa4578974f7c6.jpeg

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Your trolling has got fucking worse since @Six30 got here Fred.

I didn't invite him here to be your fucking mentor!

• Haha 3

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You dont like tea? What sort of fresh hell is this?

I bought a ‘few’ teabags over in my panniers, Im already 3/4s of my way down the first one in less that 4 days, tea is the balm the world needs, people cant to bad things while drinking tea 😂

FBA70A7F-5B95-4377-BDB0-CFF9B7C4DB34.thumb.jpeg.0375aea1592c55e776bfa4578974f7c6.jpeg

Don't drink tea or coffee it was always a grown ups drink when i was young and i guess i never grew up :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Having said that the Brit that went up to the next motorway junction and came back cos he saw us broken down was a lovely guy,

It's a bit different with some of the bike people though!

The problem with Brits in Spain is their desire to have friends around them, but are limited to who those can be because they can't communicate to an effective level in Spanish.

So they crave the companionship of their "own kind" because they are seen as kindred spirits.

The language is the key to the door.....it unlocks everything.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It's a bit different with some of the bike people though!

The problem with Brits in Spain is their desire to have friends around them, but are limited to who those can be because they can't communicate to an effective level in Spanish.

So they crave the companionship of their "own kind" because they are seen as kindred spirits.

The language is the key to the door.....it unlocks everything.

Yep I can see that and Im on for a hiding with it cos Im f’in deaf and thats a killer cos you cant hear the nuances just a general overall sound, you cant lip read a language you dont know so its going to be a long road. 
But I can already read it much better than I thought I ever would so I think its sinking in anyway and then itll be a case of understanding the pronunciation. I really dont get every word having a male or female gender though!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I really dont get every word having a male or female gender though!

The thing is you may wonder how they can remember all these words and whether they're male or female.

The reality is that they never actually sat down and learnt them.....it was learnt by actually hearing them said.

Think of if you hear a song done live and they get a word wrong or they hit a wrong note......it's the same thing. It doesn't sound right!

Same as if somebody said "El Pared" instead of "La Pared".......it would register as strange when they heard it.....like a wrong note.

Some Spanish don't always get it right either......some people say "The Sea" as La Mar.......when in fact it's El Mar.

• Like 2

Today in Spain is a public holiday......Day of the Dead!

And this time 16 years ago we were driving through France.

Weather was shit, but once we got to the south near Perpignan (where we stayed the night) it was really nice!

• Like 1