‘Dolomites’ thread

Motobiker

The actual setup is still too big, for the garden anyway. 

PXL_20220522_152841802.thumb.jpg.c502e6d686dbbaea864fae3080d6eb77.jpg

Even have the (albeit half size) memory foam pillow, free many years ago with a mattress. I'll not get into mattresses though, but this setup is possibly better than my bed. I do have a foamy inflato camping mat thing as well, are you saying that's the ultimate setup then? I might dig it out. But if I try it out and it is, I might run out of room. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ReggiePezza said:

Even have the (albeit half size) memory foam pillow, free many years ago with a mattress. I'll not get into mattresses though, but this setup is possibly better than my bed. I do have a foamy inflato camping mat thing as well, are you saying that's the ultimate setup then? I might dig it out. But if I try it out and it is, I might run out of room. 

That's just reminded me of my kids playing in the long grass out back.
Looks good to me, I'd camp in that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ReggiePezza said:

Too big because of pack size? The footprint looks dandy.

If a slightly uncomfortable bed doesn't make you wake up groaning your back/neck/ hips hurt you probably don't need it. I just googled best camp bed for bad backs (I dont have a bad back but I thought theyre the sort of people that would have gone through every option) and a thin inflatable on top of a cot seemed to be the winner. 

I'd be too concerned about the drop in temperature or being eaten by bears, tents are safe as houses everyone knows bears can't undo zips or tear nylon 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ReggiePezza said:

better than your bed !  ..... where do you sleep normally then on your shed roof ?

• Haha 2

On 22/05/2022 at 18:02, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Cute pic

Thanks, can't help but put some sort of creature in shot. 

Right then I've got the Ray Mears certified 3 man dome tent set up now for proper business. £30 Decathloner. The bed thing only just fits really. I'm a bit jealous of the tipi, now that would be cute + being able to stand up. Picsart_22-05-24_16-02-41-205.thumb.jpg.35437e73a38d6e55030b98a25b770e64.jpg

That was last night. Tried it out, not bad. You can sleep on your side a bit better than on the floor with just a camping mat, the one I've got is only thin. Also it rained and everything was ok, but you'd expect that when you go overboard with a full tarp over the tent. The only thing was that in the morning (apart from the cat trying to claw his way in) I was reminded of how bright the bastard sun is at 5am or whenever it is it gets up. You can get "dark tents" these days, probably for pissed off festival goers that really need their lay in, but I like the sounds of them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ReggiePezza said:

Right then I've got the Ray Mears certified 3 man dome tent set up now for proper business. £30 Decathloner. The bed thing only just fits really. I'm a bit jealous of the tipi, now that would be cute + being able to stand up. Picsart_22-05-24_16-02-41-205.thumb.jpg.35437e73a38d6e55030b98a25b770e64.jpg

That was last night. Tried it out, not bad. You can sleep on your side a bit better than on the floor with just a camping mat, the one I've got is only thin. Also it rained and everything was ok, but you'd expect that when you go overboard with a full tarp over the tent. The only thing was that in the morning (apart from the cat trying to claw his way in) I was reminded of how bright the bastard sun is at 5am or whenever it is it gets up. You can get "dark tents" these days, probably for pissed off festival goers that really need their lay in, but I like the sounds of them. 

Did the dog stay with you all night?

On 24/05/2022 at 16:11, ReggiePezza said:

Looks great and now you have all the protection anyone could need against wolves and bears 😂

That orangey yellow ball is a bit on the bright side first thing isn’t it. The decathlon pop up tent I have has ‘dark technology’ I spent all night waiting for Darth Vader to appear, most disappointing.

20 hours ago, XTreme said:

Did the dog stay with you all night?

No actually. He'd just want to chase the hedgehogs and keep me up probably. I'm only testing what I'll be taking with me anyway 😞 , apart from the laptop to watch BSB from the weekend.

Bike in for the MOT today. 

Picsart_22-05-25_14-44-17-730.thumb.jpg.b72073cc366d88c57bd49b9cb8d51552.jpg

... err. Wrong bike. Last minute discovery on the viffer yesterday night meant I couldn't take it for a test, so instead of cancelling again I took this old beast. It needs to go on eBay really. Or maybe one last trip? Look at it. Looks just right getting a bit of cheese and bread in for a little supper after a day tootling round alpine passes. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ReggiePezza said:

No actually. He'd just want to chase the hedgehogs and keep me up probably. I'm only testing what I'll be taking with me anyway 😞 , apart from the laptop to watch BSB from the weekend.

... err. Wrong bike. Last minute discovery on the viffer yesterday night meant I couldn't take it for a test, so instead of cancelling again I took this old beast. It needs to go on eBay really. Or maybe one last trip? Look at it. Looks just right getting a bit of cheese and bread in for a little supper after a day tootling round alpine passes. 

One for @boboneleg

22 hours ago, ReggiePezza said:

If you're coming on that, please break a habit of a lifetime and check your chain. maybe clean and lubricate it too. (just for the hell of it)

Another broken chain and then having to leave you behind at some random Belgian service station, due to another unrelated show stopping problem. is more than my nerves can stand.

And I don't care if you only did it for free beer and sympathy at the Beilsturm... and more sympathy and free beer from some Belgian local. Its the principal of the thing. (not the lack of it)

images.jpeg

• Haha 2

Heh heh. Well actually it has the top of the line DID chain on it, as sold to me my the MV Agusta salesman, after wiping some of his dinner off his chin (it was about 8pm or something), and then fitted in the morning in factory style with hard rivet link. That chain isn't going anywhere. 

And actually I gave beer away in Belgium to bloke from the Belg version of the RAC, who left me a can of carb cleaner after trying nearly every hotel in whatever part of Belgium we were, oh and going to buy some spark plugs. The issue was a dodgy ground point which had been painted, it worked, just, but not in the rain. Since then it's been stripped and powder coated... Buuutt I don't think I'll bother. I've got something much worse to test instead. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ReggiePezza said:

Heh heh. Well actually it has the top of the line DID chain on it, as sold to me my the MV Agusta salesman, after wiping some of his dinner off his chin (it was about 8pm or something), and then fitted in the morning in factory style with hard rivet link. That chain isn't going anywhere. 

And actually I gave beer away in Belgium to bloke from the Belg version of the RAC, who left me a can of carb cleaner after trying nearly every hotel in whatever part of Belgium we were, oh and going to buy some spark plugs. The issue was a dodgy ground point which had been painted, it worked, just, but not in the rain. Since then it's been stripped and powder coated... Buuutt I don't think I'll bother. I've got something much worse to test instead. 

108l0t.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ReggiePezza said:

This trip is going to be epic 😃

I can’t wait! It’ll be great to catch up Reggie 😎

• Like 4

PXL_20220528_082636402_MP.thumb.jpg.c5552c83fd90437aa1c4c24e44f46e7f.jpg

Correct bike now has all the relevant stamps, signatures, and approvals. 

I don't know the kid behind it, but his lexmoto was up next. Bonus picture of the fix his mechanic mate had done him on the rear caliper. Sliding caliper missing a rubber boot so it's got an Allen bit whacked in to take the slack, jobs a good un ey.

PXL_20220528_083639237.thumb.jpg.45e693a5de22c85f555eb6cbc9bd4f9e.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Does anybody clean their bike where you live Reggie? :classic_unsure:

Thats not dirt, its fallout from either the steelworks, or black pudding factory, hard to tell.

not been much rain lately over Rotherham. (wherever that is!!)

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Few days to go now. Front tyre fitted at the old place, tenner all in. I remember now why I used to go there. He said it used to be 8 quid though. There was a fair bit of tread left, but I'm glad I got the wheel out because I noticed at least one bearing was notchy. Tyre man he say it fine, tyre man say he had tiger wheel come in so notchy it wouldn't rotate on the balancer and that was fine too. 

Off to the bearing shop afterwards for a couple of 6004's and then it was a 10min job with the hammer and special punch, lovely jubly. About 7 quid for two SKF Explorer bearings. Silky smooth and all is right again, nothing finer.

Picsart_22-06-08_08-18-03-285.thumb.jpg.e4f73368c9b427426268d7969434c43a.jpg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, ReggiePezza said:

Few days to go now. Front tyre fitted at the old place, tenner all in. I remember now why I used to go there. He said it used to be 8 quid though. There was a fair bit of tread left, but I'm glad I got the wheel out because I noticed at least one bearing was notchy. Tyre man he say it fine, tyre man say he had tiger wheel come in so notchy it wouldn't rotate on the balancer and that was fine too. 

Off to the bearing shop afterwards for a couple of 6004's and then it was a 10min job with the hammer and special punch, lovely jubly. About 7 quid for two SKF Explorer bearings. Silky smooth and all is right again, nothing finer.

I'm amazed how many posts i see where people ask how much play is acceptable on a wheel bearing the answer is none it may last a while but your on borrowed time and will most likely fail when your on a trip miles from anywhere. you're doing it right 7 quid and a bit of time in the comfort of your home V a 2 hour wait for recovery on the road side and a ruined trip 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ReggiePezza said:

Keep us posted on your trip Reggie!

Yes will do; I still get free data roaming on the continent. An actual call or text though to back home and I might as well be calling some village deep in the rainforest. So that's at least one picture of the bikes on the tarmac slab at Folkstone, one of a pint in front of a mountain, and one of the vfr on the back of an ADAC low loader. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

But, seeing as though I'm not there yet and I'm just waiting and letting the excitement bubble, I'll post some more faffage.

At the weekend I remembered that when everything is lashed on to the back seat it sort of pushes forwards and you get a backrest, but doesn't leave you much room to move around and stretch. No way round it due to the location of the lashing points at the back, the crap always wants to be in the center of the lashing points, so you end up stuck with no way to pull it rearwards.

Unless! You get some scrap flat bar and make a go faster spoiler.

P6031017.jpg.cac808bcad5b693bfc45871e62d74da6.jpg

I always use pension update letters to catch the swarf when drilling, it's printed on the highest quality of paper.

P6031018.jpg.e9579eb5177580049efe8e504a4ba915.jpg

Here it is in mock up stage still, but you can clearly see* I'll get another couple of inches back behind me when the tent, table and chairs, sleeping bag, mattress, bed, fluffy pillow, etc is all strapped on. It definitely adds 6 bhp. It's the little things.

* maybe not.

• Like 2

And some more fun from yesterday dinner time, post front wheel bearing revelation. To be fair, the front wheel bearings were the only ones I left alone when I rebuilt the thing a few years ago, everything else got swapped - but I had replaced the rear stub needle bearings with a cheaper, but not quite the same, alternative to Honda-san's. I remembered that I'd promised myself that I would definitely take it apart after a year (or 4) to check to see if there was any grease left on the needles. The Honda bearing had an inner rubber seal to keep grease in, whereas my cheaper one only had the usual metal lip.

P6071039.jpg.ceda64497fcaf00d8e9c4769c7bbd652.jpg

P6071036.jpg.13b585733488a8e99e64f3e256a9245d.jpg

Looks fine enough.

P6071038.jpg.de83f629b37c2efa280dbae6d0d4bde3.jpg

Yep, all seems greasy. Slop some more in though for good feelings.

P6071040.jpg.3bc8903706cb4ad74478f0d5db10faf9.jpg

Learning my Ray Mears string bending techniques is paying off already. 3 turnbuckles and a quarter granny knot kept the rear brake on to torque the stub nut to almost 200Nm, most handy.

P6071032.jpg.ecdf2aea74c08e61e5dd5e152aa195b8.jpg

Again, sorry, but I can't help get the dog in shot.

• Like 4