‘Dolomites’ thread

Motobiker

22 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

All outsiders suddenly not welcome. He didn’t find out what happened they had to leave quite abruptly. Maybe it was related to Covid numbers, who knows?!

Probably because he's English! Understandable really!

Michael Richards Yes GIF

• 5 months later...

Today I booked the Tunnel and also bought travel insurance with Navigator. With everything that's going on. (off) People have dropped out, understandable to an extent but, I'm not deterred. So the plan is just the same only I will have company as @Rob M is coming along and has also made his bookings today. As he has some commitments we have moved the dates back by one week.

43855446_Screenshot2022-03-22at14_57_19.png.4e3d584725878b282617f0614e28c139.png

Booked a premier Inn for the night before the crossing and pushed the boat out somewhat by buying a full breakfast too!!

First day is going to be a bit of a slog, we want to get down to Austria in two days and that's a little over 630 miles, so will take a big bite out of that on the Saturday and then a fairly relaxed start on the Sunday. Then on the Monday over the Timmelsjoch Pass and wend our way through the Italian Alps to our base in southern Austria.

This is the Plan. But.. I have a Plan B if the weather decides not to play ball. We'll head for the Vercors again and explore that region as we enjoyed it so much last time. Moolies on the beach.

But... if all goes to plan, we'll be based in Austria for the most part and explore the Dolomites and east towards Carinthia and Slovenia. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

Today I booked the Tunnel and also bought travel insurance with Navigator. With everything that's going on. (off) People have dropped out, understandable to an extent but, I'm not deterred. So the plan is just the same only I will have company as @Rob M is coming along and has also made his bookings today. As he has some commitments we have moved the dates back by one week.

43855446_Screenshot2022-03-22at14_57_19.png.4e3d584725878b282617f0614e28c139.png

Booked a premier Inn for the night before the crossing and pushed the boat out somewhat by buying a full breakfast too!!

First day is going to be a bit of a slog, we want to get down to Austria in two days and that's a little over 630 miles, so will take a big bite out of that on the Saturday and then a fairly relaxed start on the Sunday. Then on the Monday over the Timmelsjoch Pass and wend our way through the Italian Alps to our base in southern Austria.

This is the Plan. But.. I have a Plan B if the weather decides not to play ball. We'll head for the Vercors again and explore that region as we enjoyed it so much last time. Moolies on the beach.

But... if all goes to plan, we'll be based in Austria for the most part and explore the Dolomites and east towards Carinthia and Slovenia. 

Looks great Tony......have they dropped all the Covid tests now?

20 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Looks great Tony......have they dropped all the Covid tests now?

No tests required. there's a form to fill in on-line and from there on just show them the NHS App that has vaccination proofs. Obviously we are both fully vaccinated.

currently.. and as an aside, Im now PCR testing weekly for work. and a LF test before each shift. unbelievably tedious. but.. vulnerable adults and that.

• Like 3

Sounds like you'll have a blast. 

16 days means you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the area and get back in the nick of time before the school holidays start. A bit of a longer trip than usual though isn't it, I guess less people means more flexibility?

Had a look at the Timmelsjoch pass. Looks fantastic. Stayed nearby in Obergurgl and visited Hochgurgl both beautiful places but the Timmelsjoch road looks amazing. Can't wait to see some pics.

• Like 1

What about in the European side? No policies regarding brits? I ask because I find it funny that everyone I hear always talks about what the UK demands of people going back instead of what Europe demands of people coming over.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

What about in the European side? No policies regarding brits? I ask because I find it funny that everyone I hear always talks about what the UK demands of people going back instead of what Europe demands of people coming over.

The French are demanding a sworn statement where you declare you are symptom free plus fully vaccinated. And they are happy to view the nhs app for proof. We are using the tunnel so these checks are done by French officials on the UK side of the channel. And that’s it. We are passing through France, Belgium and Luxembourg and stopping for an overnight in Germany on the Saturday. Then down to Austria on the Sunday. There are no restrictions in force for campsites in Germany, Austria and France. I haven’t checked Italy or Slovenia yet.. but it’s unlikely and we probably won’t camp there anyway. This is likely to be my last year touring as a UK citizen as I’m getting a new EU passport for next year.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Had a look at the Timmelsjoch pass. Looks fantastic. Stayed nearby in Obergurgl and visited Hochgurgl both beautiful places but the Timmelsjoch road looks amazing. Can't wait to see some pics.

There is another possible route, but it’s a bit longer and I’m not sure doable without an overnight in Italy and that’s over the Umbrail (so a quick diversion into Switzerland) then the much more pleasant south side of the Stelvio and finally the Gavia. Which is fairly infamous.

We might try it on our way back, as south to north is a lot less dangerous. 

And that’s the problem once you’re in that part of the world, there is so much on the doorstep.

June is a bit dodgy weather-wise so that will dictate. We’ll just have to see what happens and take it one day at a time, chasing the Sun.

But hopefully we will have a few good days in the Dolomites and a blue sky day for the Grossglockner and an excursion to the Mangart in Slovenia. I’ve never had the chance to go up that road due to late snow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motobiker said:

This is likely to be my last year touring as a UK citizen as I’m getting a new EU passport for next year.

You qualify for Irish citizenship Tony?

2 hours ago, Motobiker said:

I’m Irish by birth though not by upbringing.

Surprised you left it this long to pull the trigger on it Tony.....cos I don't see any way back for the rest of us anytime soon.

• Like 1

I'm buzzing for this trip, my first away for ages and Tony and I have toured plenty of times before. If the weather plays ball it'll be epic and if Plan B is needed that'll be cool too, we went to the Vercors in 2017 and loved it.

Oh, and I'm on a new ride. The big BMW has gone and I've got this:

Mb2PADE.jpg

11 weeks to go 😀

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rob M said:

I'm buzzing for this trip, my first away for ages and Tony and I have toured plenty of times before. If the weather plays ball it'll be epic and if Plan B is needed that'll be cool too, we went to the Vercors in 2017 and loved it.

Mb2PADE.jpg

11 weeks to go 😀

What made you switch to that Rob?

11 minutes ago, XTreme said:

What made you switch to that Rob?

Just fancied a change. I have always liked the Sprint and it ticks all the boxes for me. Sporty, comfortable and a bit of a bargain at the moment due to a lot of folk wanting adventure bikes. Early impressions are good, plenty of torque, more nimble than the BMW and so comfortable. The gel seat and higher bars make the difference. Main improvement has to be that triple engine though, sounds incredible.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Rob M said:

Just fancied a change. I have always liked the Sprint and it ticks all the boxes for me. Sporty, comfortable and a bit of a bargain at the moment due to a lot of folk wanting adventure bikes. Early impressions are good, plenty of torque, more nimble than the BMW and so comfortable. The gel seat and higher bars make the difference. Main improvement has to be that triple engine though, sounds incredible.

Everybody seems to be getting Triumphs now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/03/2022 at 09:08, Motobiker said:

There is another possible route, but it’s a bit longer and I’m not sure doable without an overnight in Italy and that’s over the Umbrail (so a quick diversion into Switzerland) then the much more pleasant south side of the Stelvio and finally the Gavia. Which is fairly infamous.

We might try it on our way back, as south to north is a lot less dangerous. 

And that’s the problem once you’re in that part of the world, there is so much on the doorstep.

June is a bit dodgy weather-wise so that will dictate. We’ll just have to see what happens and take it one day at a time, chasing the Sun.

But hopefully we will have a few good days in the Dolomites and a blue sky day for the Grossglockner and an excursion to the Mangart in Slovenia. I’ve never had the chance to go up that road due to late snow.

That honestly sounds friggin amazing!

Can I pry and ask how much approximately you think it will cost?

No worries if you want to ignore this question. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob M said:

Mb2PADE.jpg

11 weeks to go 😀

Very nice that is too 👌 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That honestly sounds friggin amazing!

Can I pry and ask how much approximately you think it will cost?

No worries if you want to ignore this question. 

The pre trip costs have already been spent. Overnight at a premier inn, tunnel return, travel insurance and roadside assistance. I will be taking €600 in cash and using my card for all fuel purchases. Austria has cheaper fuel than Germany, Italy and France. Which is why we will be based there and eating mostly out of a Lidl or Aldi shared between the two of us. And eating out on the cheap where appropriate. If the cash runs out I’ll pop to a cash point for a top/up. My bike is quite frugal. Here a full tank costs me £40 right now but I don’t expect to be filling up from empty every day. But if I did then that would mean £600+ on fuel costs at UK prices.

It’s going to be a lot more expensive than usual. But the times we are living in make that expected. I’m not too worried, it’s better than staying at home filled with regret. I’ve not been defeated by the pandemic so far and won’t be this time either.

• Like 4

Just to add to Tony's post. For 10 years I've always worked out my budgets beforehand. I tend to over estimate and always come back with change. These are my calculations for this trip taking into account current fuel prices. £20 a day for living doesn't sound much but it covers food and drink in Europe unless we eat out, but overall it balances out.

Before:

Eurotunnel = £113

Travel Insurance (via Navigator) = £33

Breakdown = Covered in my insurance from Carol Nash.

For trip:

·         Petrol = (4000 miles/180x£28) = £622

·         Daily living = (£20 x 16) = £320

·         Campsites (15 nights @£15 night) = £225

Total= £1167 (Take 600 euros in cash, rest on card)

I reckon I'll spend about a grand.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rob M said:

Just to add to Tony's post. For 10 years I've always worked out my budgets beforehand. I tend to over estimate and always come back with change. These are my calculations for this trip taking into account current fuel prices. £20 a day for living doesn't sound much but it covers food and drink in Europe unless we eat out, but overall it balances out.

Before:

Eurotunnel = £113

Travel Insurance (via Navigator) = £33

Breakdown = Covered in my insurance from Carol Nash.

For trip:

·         Petrol = (4000 miles/180x£28) = £622

·         Daily living = (£20 x 16) = £320

·         Campsites (15 nights @£15 night) = £225

Total= £1167 (Take 600 euros in cash, rest on card)

I reckon I'll spend about a grand.

Is it only the two of you Rob?