‘Dolomites’ thread

Motobiker

If the weather is less than perfect in the central and western Tyrol, then we’ll relocate south east into Slovenia for a few days and see if it improves.

France is only a plan B if there is forecast days of rain heading south and over bavaria and Austria. A bit of rain on the way south is ok. Just so long as it’s not incessant and relentless.

once we’re down there it’ll be a case of taking each day as it comes and watching the forecasts.

June is always a bit dodgy as the weather hasn’t fully settled down. It’s not really worth worrying about - we have plenty of options.

• Like 3

On 24/03/2022 at 17:24, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Chasing the sun. Sounds great. 

Its a Holiday, not an exercise in masochism. It really has to be a matter of chasing the sun in the Alps, to my mind there's little point in riding the mountains if the view is obscured by low cloud. or the ride is ruined by rain. Another month and the snow ploughs will be clearing the Grossglockner. its pretty bad up there right now.. but should be fine when we arrive. below are photos of the conditions today and mid June last year.

499231946_Screenshot2022-03-27at16_07_12.png.7554578abcda18b84b4d7c04192600f1.png484930_Screenshot2022-03-27at16_11_11.png.65c7a6912e71e01c817e170a9ee64d7a.png

Obviously at that height... low cloud would make it a total waste of time, but.. there's no need to take a risk. we can simple look at the web cam and make a decision whether to go or not. I imagine we will be staying close by for about 5 days and the Glockner will be on one of those, otherwise we will be riding to the south in the Dolomites. And as I previously mentioned we can always drop south and east into Slovenia if necessary to escape any adverse weather.

Though hopefully that won't be necessary and we can stay in Austria, there is more than enough there to keep us occupied for the time we have, in fact the worst of it is, a fortnight just isn't long enough. but hey ho.

Below Ive marked our base with an arrow... The Dolomites are not shown as they are south and west of that.  But, if weather forces us further east as you can see there is plenty.

993134005_Screenshot2022-03-27at16_39_29.png.1928670544d57c5175df9afb3518ba5e.png

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

Its a Holiday, not an exercise in masochism. It really has to be a matter of chasing the sun in the Alps, to my mind there's little point in riding the mountains if the view is obscured by low cloud. or the ride is ruined by rain. Another month and the snow ploughs will be clearing the Grossglockner. its pretty bad up there right now.. but should be fine when we arrive. below are photos of the conditions today and mid June last year.

499231946_Screenshot2022-03-27at16_07_12.png.7554578abcda18b84b4d7c04192600f1.png484930_Screenshot2022-03-27at16_11_11.png.65c7a6912e71e01c817e170a9ee64d7a.png

Obviously at that height... low cloud would make it a total waste of time, but.. there's no need to take a risk. we can simple look at the web cam and make a decision whether to go or not. I imagine we will be staying close by for about 5 days and the Glockner will be on one of those, otherwise we will be riding to the south in the Dolomites. And as I previously mentioned we can always drop south and east into Slovenia if necessary to escape any adverse weather.

Though hopefully that won't be necessary and we can stay in Austria, there is more than enough there to keep us occupied for the time we have, in fact the worst of it is, a fortnight just isn't long enough. but hey ho.

Below Ive marked our base with an arrow... The Dolomites are not shown as they are south and west of that.  But, if weather forces us further east as you can see there is plenty.

993134005_Screenshot2022-03-27at16_39_29.png.1928670544d57c5175df9afb3518ba5e.png

Still snow on the peaks there in Summer Tony?

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Still snow on the peaks there in Summer Tony?

In the high alps June isn't really summer. The winter lag means its about a month behind the valleys. The sun may be very warm but the air is still quite cold. Ive warned Rob that he will almost certainly need his thermals while we are in the Austrian Alps and above 2000m. whereas down in the valleys it can quite easily be very warm if not hot. The further south we go the warmer the air. Though it will still be cold on the tops. cold air I mean. 

• Like 4

A lot of peoples motorcycle trips come across like they are some sort of torture. There seems to be two groups the ones who want to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible and brag about how many hours/miles they've done having seen nothing and those who go to places to have a look and enjoy the view. Two very different species. 

Thats the only downside with a good mountain, the stopping and adjusting your layers cos if you dont you'll freeze or sweat. Or my least favourite ignoring it and ending up in freezing sweat (mind you merino wool is a marvel). That and discovering that layer of sunscreen you put on at 8am really did need reapplying at the beginning of lunch when you couldnt be arsed and thought it would be fine because the crispy air fooled you while the sun was raging. 

The map looks superb, so many possibilities, I love the way you plan and research in depth but leave it open with different options and contingency plans.

I want to go to Marrakesh via Casablanca in October, I dont suppose you do paid planning 😂

Bright sunshine and cold mountain air, my favourite. I almost wish I wasn't going to be in Spain, Id definitely be up for a bit of gate crashing!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Motobiker said:

Ive warned Rob that he will almost certainly need his thermals while we are in the Austrian Alps and above 2000m. whereas down in the valleys it can quite easily be very warm if not hot. 

I'm already prepared. The closest I've been to changing temps was when Tony and I rode through the Jura in 2017. Earlier in the day it was warm and pleasant but by time we had reached the higher levels of the Jura I was shivering and miserable. Sod that again. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rob M said:

I'm already prepared. The closest I've been to changing temps was when Tony and I rode through the Jura in 2017. Earlier in the day it was warm and pleasant but by time we had reached the higher levels of the Jura I was shivering and miserable. Sod that again. 

That was grim and unexpected, a lesson learnt. But we were on a mission that day to get from A to B as fast as possible and it seemed easier to keep going than to stop. I won’t do that again. It’s easy enough to stop and add a layer if there is no rush and there shouldn’t be. We’ll have a full day on the Glockner. Maybe do the full length non stop and bookmark stopping places. Then do it again in reverse, stop for lunch. And then do it again with lots of stops to ooh and aah at the views and take photos. It’s a remarkable road. One to be savoured. Coffee and cake. And end the day by doing part of the southern loop or take in the Pustertaler high road on the way back to base camp. Top up with fuel (ready for the next day and grab some beers and supper from the Aldi.

last time I was there was middle of May. I remember the temperature was 3c, Did that spoil it? Absolutely not. The scenery was stunning. The road was perfect. The sun was warm.. when it appeared. The cloud level was very high. Had we (me and jack) not been dressed for the conditions it would have been horrible, but as it was. It was great and Jack, to this day will wax lyrical about our day on the tops,

P1000064.thumb.JPG.576438e8c3d2d42f0a4f0631ce2002cb.JPG

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Motobiker said:

That was grim and unexpected, a lesson learnt. But we were on a mission that day to get from A to B as fast as possible and it seemed easier to keep going than to stop. I won’t do that again. It’s easy enough to stop and add a layer if there is no rush and there shouldn’t be. We’ll have a full day on the Glockner. Maybe do the full length non stop and bookmark stopping places. Then do it again in reverse, stop for lunch. And then do it again with lots of stops to ooh and aah at the views and take photos. It’s a remarkable road. One to be savoured. Coffee and cake. And end the day by doing part of the southern loop or take in the Pustertaler high road on the way back to base camp. Top up with fuel (ready for the next day and grab some beers and supper from the Aldi.

last time I was there was middle of May. I remember the temperature was 3c, Did that spoil it? Absolutely not. The scenery was stunning. The road was perfect. The sun was warm.. when it appeared. The cloud level was very high. Had we (me and jack) not been dressed for the conditions it would have been horrible, but as it was. It was great and Jack, to this day will wax lyrical about our day on the tops,

P1000064.thumb.JPG.576438e8c3d2d42f0a4f0631ce2002cb.JPG

This is making me want to go back to Austria!

Had a look for photos and even though Ive been there a few times I dont seem to have any pics of the beautiful mountains mainly because it was so cold I didn’t fancy taking my gloves off to take them.

Found this one though. Such a lovely place.

This was a late lunch in Sölden. 

1E7237DF-1D57-4E65-8190-64842126D2B7.thumb.jpeg.3bfe60da7485b95a939cbc22e6a84742.jpeg

On one occasion we ski’d down to the Timmelsjoch road in Hochgurgl and much to my surprise theres a motorcycle museum there with a very pleasant restaurant. Im sure you already know all about it but just in case heres the link- 

https://www.gurgl.com/winter/winteractivities/top-mountain-motorcycle-museum.html

Dont know what its like now, a friend told me its been reopened after being razed to the ground and is good (for a motorcycle museum on the top of a mountain).

• Like 2

I really like the Ötztal Valley, the climb up to the pass quickly loses sight of it though. But the ride along it’s length is very nice and should be fairly quiet with it being a normal working week. The pass is a restricted road so much better than the stelvio. The 2nd highest paved road in Europe is just off it. Though it’s a bit of an anticlimax. Last time I managed to avoid the museum and I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to manage that same feat of self sacrifice this time too. Of course this all assumes we will use that pass, it would be nice. But there are others and I think it’s a mistake to get too excited about a specific goal until it is happening. It’s not all about me, once we get to Austria on the Sunday night I’ll have great fun putting rob on the spot with a few choices of what to do…. As we’re there. “There” being the western end, in Voralberg, not far from the Silvretta hochalpenstrasse for example. Or we might just have to leg it into Italy asap and get to our basecamp as the weather looks very promising over that way.

There is also the Umbrail pass which avoids the worst of the Stelvio and allows a quick visit to the summit, without the tedium. Followed by Gavia.

Decisions Decisions.

Umbrail.

2795514F-E5D1-4795-96E5-2719BEA5EAD0.jpeg.fc1e3d3ca77ac4c493c21b7d32d03535.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

They have started clearing the snow from the Grossglockner (can see tarmac!!), 2 weeks early. It doesn't normally start until the 1st of May. Not really a big deal. but it does add to the excitement somewhat.  58 days and counting.

Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 08.36.58.png

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

They have started clearing the snow from the Grossglockner (can see tarmac!!), 2 weeks early. It doesn't normally start until the 1st of May. Not really a big deal. but it does add to the excitement somewhat.  58 days and counting.

Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 08.36.58.png

That looks a superb road!

• Like 1

One of the usual waifs and strays @ReggiePezza who normally comes along each year has decided to throw away all sense and join up for this year too. Had a bit of a rethink about the Sunday and assuming good weather, an early start and a bit of enthusiasm we may head directly for Zell am See.  So we will then have the possibility of trying for the Grossglockner on the Monday. If not then there are other options and we can try again on the Tuesday or move south close to the Italian border to our (hopefully) long term base camp. Near the south end of the Glockner road and handy for the Dolomites. Again, if the weather moves in that location allows an easy escape either south into Italy. (Probably towards Garda) or south east to Slovenia. Where we can bask in the sun until the weather moves away.

im quite keen on going to Slovenia if possible. Lovely place.

59AE8F1C-F680-4CC0-AF9F-A99892E8BC98.jpeg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

One of the usual waifs and strays @ReggiePezza who normally comes along each year has decided to throw away all sense and join up for this year too.

Does Stu and Blender know?

Did he fill in the necessary paperwork to get permission?

And more important, has he paid his Subs?

The Office Smile GIF

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

One of the usual waifs and strays @ReggiePezza who normally comes along each year has decided to throw away all sense and join up for this year too. Had a bit of a rethink about the Sunday and assuming good weather, an early start and a bit of enthusiasm we may head directly for Zell am See.  So we will then have the possibility of trying for the Grossglockner on the Monday. If not then there are other options and we can try again on the Tuesday or move south close to the Italian border to our (hopefully) long term base camp. Near the south end of the Glockner road and handy for the Dolomites. Again, if the weather moves in that location allows an easy escape either south into Italy. (Probably towards Garda) or south east to Slovenia. Where we can bask in the sun until the weather moves away.

im quite keen on going to Slovenia if possible. Lovely place.

59AE8F1C-F680-4CC0-AF9F-A99892E8BC98.jpeg

You don’t half overthink your planning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

You don’t half overthink your planning!

indeed. I do the overthinking so the people who come along with me don't have anything to worry about. if the weather is going to turn bad and we need to move, I can tell them about where we're going, how far it is and what to expect when we get there. Im not sure that's actually a bad thing.

I know people who take a different approach: "we're going to X. if it rains - tough. if there's low cloud and you can't see anything - tough. we're going to X. pack waterproofs"

no thanks.

This is my second attempt at a group ride to Austria. previously defeated at the last minute by bad weather that was set to last for days, rain for the ride down and more rain once we arrived. I had a plan B that had already been mentioned - so it wasn't such a disappointment for the guys. none of whom wanted to be riding through heavy rain for days on end. We saw the rain clouds in the distance as we headed in the opposite direction. to the south of France and the Vercors. and the sun and heat.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, XTreme said:

Does Stu and Blender know?

Did he fill in the necessary paperwork to get permission?

And more important, has he paid his Subs?

The Office Smile GIF

No. No and... No.

I don't think Ive even mentioned this years trip once in public, its been kept strictly "in house" private messages or phone only.

Back in the day we all met on another, long departed forum and joined the other one when the previous forum closed down. The previous forum was very much into touring, The original owner did yearly tours and a lot of meets and organised local, or localish ride-outs, yearly camping meet-ups, with arrangements made for those unwilling to camp. And did a lot for charity too. The owner was killed on a tour to France. Then I came along and thought. I can do that. And so I did.

Once we moved to the new forum, almost immediately I noticed a big difference.. an almost complete lack of interest or enthusiasm for touring. So, its mostly been the old gang ever since. And that's fine by me.

• Like 2