‘Dolomites’ thread

Motobiker

46 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That's amazing!

Its a massive plus that there are so many of these webcams about, makes rides a lot less risky, we can simply check on conditions before setting off. Its a shame we won't get that same view though, as the main road runs along the base of that central mountain.. but hey ho. we might have a detour.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

Its a massive plus that there are so many of these webcams about, makes rides a lot less risky, we can simply check on conditions before setting off. Its a shame we won't get that same view though, as the main road runs along the base of that central mountain.. but hey ho. we might have a detour.

You could never imagine having resources like that at your disposal years ago could you?

12 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You could never imagine having resources like that at your disposal years ago could you?

Definitely not. Its going to most useful for our climb up the Grossglockner. Because its a fairly expensive toll road and is as much about the views as the road itself. we want the best conditions possible, Ideally a blue sky day, or at worst, any cloud much higher than the mountains. They have the same cameras up there.. Ive posted stills before on this thread. but here's the live link. getting a bit dark now mind. And they seem to have just had rain.

https://edelweissspitze.panomax.com

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

Definitely not. Its going to most useful for our climb up the Grossglockner. Because its a fairly expensive toll road and is as much about the views as the road itself. we want the best conditions possible, Ideally a blue sky day, or at worst, any cloud much higher than the mountains. They have the same cameras up there.. Ive posted stills before on this thread. but here's the live link. getting a bit dark now mind. And they seem to have just had rain.

https://edelweissspitze.panomax.com

Couple of bikes there too!

Ooh yeah. Excitement building now. Got a bunch of fresh camping stuff to play with this weekend, so I can tie some knots and pretend to be ray mears. Still need to sort out an MOT for the bike though, which would've been tomorrow but I've had to cancel to go pick up a fridge instead.

Fresh front tyre arrived though, same as Tony, I'm scared the current one won't make the journey (how many miles are we expecting to do?). Had the same fear about the rear before Ireland, but the replacement arrived at my house about the point in time I went over the Welsh border, a bit late like. Takes ages since the big B for juicy cheap tyres from Germany from the mighty Delticom corporation (mytyres). It was stuck somewhere in England in quarantine but never mind, this time I'm not rushing for once (... Err but I still need an mot). The rear after Ireland was definitely a bit illegal, though Jack, being more tyre rugged wouldn't have thought twice, he's a mad man. 

• Like 2

@ReggiePezza probably around 3,000 miles.. depends a lot on the weather, if we need to relocate to wait it out.  that could mean further east in Austria, south into Italy or south east to Slovenia. Also depends on which region of Austria we aim for on the Sunday. The Swiss end.. or directly to Zell am See. see how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Is it just me or are you giving Tym a run for his money? 😂

I'm not sure, but it's very orange and very German. They also make cranes, and the ones at work were 1million a pop. So maybe I'm just paying for the logo of a successful heavy construction manufacturer or maybe they just really happen to like making fridges too. I didn't read any reviews.

Camping has gone out the window. This thing has a wine rack.

11 minutes ago, ReggiePezza said:

I'm not sure, but it's very orange and very German. They also make cranes, and the ones at work were 1million a pop. So maybe I'm just paying for the logo of a successful heavy construction manufacturer or maybe they just really happen to like making fridges too. I didn't read any reviews.

Camping has gone out the window. This thing has a wine rack.

Urr Liebherr?

@Slowlycatchymonkey well I never. It was just hotting up I thought. Might start my own appliance forum with a sideline in bike touring then. 

I will get back to camping jabber though. I've tied a few ray mears number 3s (same as you do your shoelaces but the bight goes under the bitter end and through the rabbit) to a bit of tarp so I feel fairly confident I won't get wet, but only because we'll be following the sun. 

I've also bought one of them camping cots you mentioned in gymwitch's thread, I didn't realise they went so small. A few extra kilos on top of an already lump of a bike won't make any difference (or will it make all the difference?). As long as I can lash it on it'll come with. Though I might camp out in the garden for a laugh and see how good it is, the weather is bloody good. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ReggiePezza said:

@Slowlycatchymonkey well I never. It was just hotting up I thought. Might start my own appliance forum with a sideline in bike touring then. 

I will get back to camping jabber though. I've tied a few ray mears number 3s (same as you do your shoelaces but the bight goes under the bitter end and through the rabbit) to a bit of tarp so I feel fairly confident I won't get wet, but only because we'll be following the sun. 

I've also bought one of them camping cots you mentioned in gymwitch's thread, I didn't realise they went so small. A few extra kilos on top of an already lump of a bike won't make any difference (or will it make all the difference?). As long as I can lash it on it'll come with. Though I might camp out in the garden for a laugh and see how good it is, the weather is bloody good. 

That camping cot with an inflatable on top is the bees knees. First time I’ve ever been comfortable enough camping to not want to get up in the morning. 

Really no proper tent to speak of? 😬 Just as well Motobikers in charge!
You’ve ventured into nautical seas now with your bitter bits and rabbits and I know buggerall about knots and tarps so we’re gonna need pics of this Heath Robinson marvel!

57 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

One of the new special constables got out his badge out and deleted my posts.. left his own irrelevant jibberjabber though

I had heard there were forums out there like that!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

I had heard there were forums out there like that!

Best not to go looking Pete, its like a slow motion car crash you find it difficult to tear your attention away then somehow suddenly you’re caught up with a load of miserable buggers arguing about who caused it 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Best not to go looking Pete, its like a slow moving car crash you find it difficult to tear your attention away then somehow suddenly you’re caught up with a load of miserable buggers arguing about who caused it 😂

I think the lowest point (out of many low points) was when the Gammons were arguing in favour of public hangings.

31 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Really no proper tent to speak of? 😬 Just as well Motobikers in charge!

...You’ve ventured into nautical seas now...

Well I'm not quite finished installing the aqueduct fed shower and wet room  but here you go...

It's a bit of a heavy pack up but I really think the vfr can take it. article-2339396-1A40D110000005DC-561_964x682.jpg.b271b591120607c129885ac8466e2543.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ReggiePezza said:

Well I'm not quite finished installing the aqueduct fed shower and wet room  but here you go...

It's a bit of a heavy pack up but I really think the vfr can take it. article-2339396-1A40D110000005DC-561_964x682.jpg.b271b591120607c129885ac8466e2543.jpg

Excellent work cheers to that.

Johnny Depp Drinking GIF

• Like 1