‘Dolomites’ thread

Motobiker

2 hours ago, Motobiker said:

Back in the day we all met on another, long departed forum and joined the other one when the previous forum closed down.

What forum was that?

And if there was sufficient interest we could do a Touring Section on here.

• Like 1

I like the detail. For me thinking about the varying possibilities and having the freedom to abandon any of it at any point and choosing to do something else is part of the joy.

I do also enjoy not thinking, winging it and seeing what happens. That approach is far more exciting, its yielded me as much pain as it has happiness though.

Decisions are always weightier when you're organising a group, other people are looking to you for knowledge of an area and possible solutions. You kinda feel responsible for making sure they have a good time, or at least the best time possible in whatever circumstances you find yourself in and thats when having plan A to X is useful. Knowing where theres a supermarket that doesnt shut til 10pm or where the accommodation in the sunshine will be and the roads are good makes the difference between happy people and wet, tired, hungry people. 

Folk who get kicks from braving the elements or rolling with whatever happens (I confess I'm partial to that) are definitely the minority. @Motobiker sharing his covering all the bases is a useful DIY guide, I appreciate it, I read it and think hmm maybe the alps should be next and if they are I know just the man to ask for advice!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oh @ReggiePezza pannier wise they dont do anything as cool as that jacket, never have, never will.

Thats an awesome 80’s mix only Pete and the under 20’s can dig 🤣

yes they could see him coming in that

• Haha 1

Austria.

As of next Monday 16.05.2022 there is no longer a 3G requirement to enter Austria so no proof of vaccination, recovery or negative test is required.

FFP2 masks are still required in supermarkets, pharmacy, doctors, banks, public transport etc. basically places that people are obliged to use. This is likely to remain in place until July. 

👍

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Motobiker said:

Austria.

As of next Monday 16.05.2022 there is no longer a 3G requirement to enter Austria so no proof of vaccination, recovery or negative test is required.

FFP2 masks are still required in supermarkets, pharmacy, doctors, banks, public transport etc. basically places that people are obliged to use. This is likely to remain in place until July. 

👍

Getting a bit simpler now then?

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

Getting a bit simpler now then?

Much. there was always a very small risk that some campsite owner might be awkward and insist on seeing vaccination proof and choose not to recognise the NHS app. but that's no longer a concern after Monday.

The countdown is well under way now. 28 days to go!!

Im having a new front tyre fitted week after next. ordered and booked. current tyre has about a 1000 miles left on it which won't do at all.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

Much. there was always a very small risk that some campsite owner might be awkward and insist on seeing vaccination proof and choose not to recognise the NHS app. but that's no longer a concern after Monday.

The countdown is well under way now. 28 days to go!!

Im having a new front tyre fitted week after next. ordered and booked. current tyre has about a 1000 miles left on it which won't do at all.

Question for you Tony.....how heavy is your AT with the DCT?

52 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Question for you Tony.....how heavy is your AT with the DCT?

253KG with. 243KG without. and that includes a full tank. (300 mile range)

by comparison my GS was 248.

Bike feels a lot lighter to me though, that was immediately apparent when I got it. as the weight is carried low.

I think they managed to shave off a few KGs on the latest bike, the 1100.

But, its mostly designed to be a tourer and you expect weight. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Thats the standard bike, with a smaller fuel tank. also they used a few steel parts on my bike that were plastic on that one. like the rear grab rails/rack.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

253KG with. 243KG without. and that includes a full tank. (300 mile range)

by comparison my GS was 248.

Bike feels a lot lighter to me though, that was immediately apparent when I got it. as the weight is carried low.

I think they managed to shave off a few KGs on the latest bike, the 1100.

But, its mostly designed to be a tourer and you expect weight. 

It doesn't look that heavy though......whereas mine looks heavy but in comparison to others it actually isn't.

Just now, XTreme said:

It doesn't look that heavy though......whereas mine looks heavy but in comparison to others it actually isn't.

The weight the 1100/1150 and especially the 1150 ADV was a huge issue..  and so reducing the weight was a really big priority for BMW when they were designing the 1200. especially the standard 1200. which was aimed predominantly at riders with an average inside leg.. and also women. who could never really manage the huge ADV.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motobiker said:

Thats the standard bike, with a smaller fuel tank. also they used a few steel parts on my bike that were plastic on that one. like the rear grab rails/rack.

It's Pedro trolling me here Tony! 

I can't ask a question without being accused of trolling in this place!

I even post up a thread saying I'm changing the bike and apparently that's trolling.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 2

Im happy with mine.. the newer 1100 version was made shorter (seat height) which doesn't really suit me. I like/need a tall bike.

IMG_0337.thumb.JPG.5d22b5d8ccfec812e6f5d67ca9e286ee.JPG

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

Im happy with mine.. the newer 1100 version was made shorter (seat height) which doesn't really suit me. I like/need a tall bike.

IMG_0337.thumb.JPG.5d22b5d8ccfec812e6f5d67ca9e286ee.JPG

Love the wheels!