The Evolution of a Motorcycle Forum!

XTreme

I was just thinking about how something that was originally planned as an adventure/dualsport motorcycling forum has actually evolved!

Because over the course of 17 months we've become a type of hybrid of a general motorcycle forum and an OAP's drop in centre!

Never saw that coming.......guess it just shows how the demographics have changed over the years!

But still.......if the direction of the site is driven by the members that has to be a positive! One person's vision and direction is never going to be a good fit for everybody.

So if you know any other sad old cunts who are also past their sell by date then bring them in! 

Do you think it would help if we became www.sadoldcunts.com

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

You might not be the oldest, but by fuck you're the saddest with your fucking van and fake photos!

calm down .... was only a joke , hope i dont get all grumpy and bitter when im your age.

• Haha 7

When I used to go to motorcycle meets or shows the usual demographic was on the older side! Maybe the change in the motorbike tests all those years back is really starting to bite now?

Not that I advocate that 17 year olds should still be able to stick a set of L-plates on a 250cc bike and set off on it with no training, etc. I'm speaking purely of the UK system here of course. But there is definitely fewer kids getting into biking in the UK these days.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Six30 said:

calm down .... was only a joke , hope i dont get all grumpy and bitter when im your age.

You won't be waiting long.👍

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Tango said:

When I used to go to motorcycle meets or shows the usual demographic was on the older side! Maybe the change in the motorbike tests all those years back is really starting to bite now?

Not that I advocate that 17 year olds should still be able to stick a set of L-plates on a 250cc bike and set off on it with no training, etc. I'm speaking purely of the UK system here of course. But there is definitely fewer kids getting into biking in the UK these days.

Less young getting into bikes.......that I agree with.

But many on 125 cc scoots around here......like flies round shit!.😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

All the more reason to step up the pace on "Operation PigDad".

What you say @Clive?

Yep get him here, he has all the qualifications to fit in..👍

• Haha 1

Happens all the time in corporate marketing departments, Honda tried to market to the young and the restless with the honda element,

trouble was only old people with dogs bought them, turns out the targeted audience had no money who cares what they want ffs.

🤓

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tym said:

Happens all the time in corporate marketing departments, Honda tried to market to the young and the restless with the honda element,

trouble was only old people with dogs bought them, turns out the targeted audience had no money who cares what they want ffs.

🤓

And the older ones are now finding things like the big GS's are too big and heavy to live with. So that market is going to diminish.

However, middlewight Adv bikes are now flying out the door here.....I've seen 15 year old 650 Stroms up for 5K in dealers and they're gone in days.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

And the older ones are now finding things like the big GS's are too big and heavy to live with. So that market is going to diminish.

However, middlewight Adv bikes are now flying out the door here.....I've seen 15 year old 650 Stroms up for 5K in dealers and they're gone in days.

The same here.

17 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I also reckon that, as people start to feel the impending Financial squeeze and fuel prices rise, there will be a shift to smaller capacity, more economical bikes or to all electric. I think that the big capacity bikes are now facing their final years.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I think if you want to sell or part ex a standard road bike now you're going to take a hit on resale value.

Certainly bikes like the MT07, MT09, Z750, Z900, etc are not holding their resale value as much as, say, the 650 Strom or the Tiger 800.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone else follows 'Fall Off Phil' on Facebook (he is on another bike site as well), he posts all of his motorcycle rally photos and was a regular sight wherever I went. His rally pictures (and some videos) start about 1980 and the bike ones stop about 2015.

It's fascinating to see not only the bikes change, but the clothes, the tents, the food choices, the beer types. What doesn't really change is the people. It's young people in the 80s and old people after the millennium. i.e it's the same people going, not much new blood.

I have yet to see myself in a single picture, although I do find other people I know who I was there with. I have only made one comment on FB and no one followed it up. It was a picture of a rally in the 80s and out of 4 people three were posted as RIP. All I said was, That sounds  like a rough rally! but I think my comment was 'too soon'.

Phil Drackley is his real name. He's bound to be one of Pete's friends actually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

He's bound to be one of Pete's friends actually.

No......just looked now, never heard of him.

But I was never a Rally person.......no interest!

Whenever I went away it was for race meetings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yen_powell said:

I don't know if anyone else follows 'Fall Off Phil' on Facebook (he is on another bike site as well), he posts all of his motorcycle rally photos and was a regular sight wherever I went. His rally pictures (and some videos) start about 1980 and the bike ones stop about 2015.

It's fascinating to see not only the bikes change, but the clothes, the tents, the food choices, the beer types. What doesn't really change is the people. It's young people in the 80s and old people after the millennium. i.e it's the same people going, not much new blood.

I have yet to see myself in a single picture, although I do find other people I know who I was there with. I have only made one comment on FB and no one followed it up. It was a picture of a rally in the 80s and out of 4 people three were posted as RIP. All I said was, That sounds  like a rough rally! but I think my comment was 'too soon'.

Phil Drackley is his real name. He's bound to be one of Pete's friends actually.

Me and the wife have always said that. when we went to rally's in the late 80's everyone was around our age, when we go now nothings changed everyone is still around our age very few youngsters are coming in behind us to keep it all going

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

No......just looked now, never heard of him.

But I was never a Rally person.......no interest!

Whenever I went away it was for race meetings.

Worth a trawl through his page photos, very nostaligia inducing, not just rallies, other stuff as well. He got about, from Shetland Isles all the way down to Portsmouth.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Worth a trawl through his page photos, very nostaligia inducing, not just rallies, other stuff as well. He got about, from Shetland Isles all the way down to Portsmouth.

Is he still riding now? None of his recent shots seem to show him with bikes.