Spitalfield Life website

yen_powell

2 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Great stuff Yen!

What a woman Doris was!

I was shocked to see @Renegade there on the other site on an FS1E!

spacer.png

What you say @Sir Fallsalot?

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 19/08/2021 at 18:41, yen_powell said:

I think I've mentioned this website before. A new article every day, he does repeat himself occasionally. 90% of them are fascinating, stories of ordinary people with extraordinary lives that no one knows about until they tell you. I've been to visit some of the places he mentions, others I already know about due to working in the area and being nosy.

Just some examples to start with

A place I am going to soon, hidden behind Kings Cross and St Pancras Station, just to see The Hardy Tree and the inspiration for the red London telephone box.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2018/06/10/at-st-pancras-old-churchyard-x/

Find out who actually makes ballet shoes, you'll be surprised.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2021/07/11/the-point-shoe-makers-of-hackney-x/

The story of where a famous saying comes from

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2021/07/31/the-foundling-of-shoreditch-x/

I might put a few more on here at a later date as I find them again. Ones such as the transvestite of Bethnal Green and his/her electric cooker collection, The tramp so stylish he is paid to model neckerchiefs, a small shop that still has stock from the 1700s and supplies spares for the Queen's coronation and other coaches, the Bangladeshi mechanics who inhabit the hundreds of railway arches hidden away from view, the old mechanic who used to work on souping up the Krays AND the Flying Squad's cars at the same time in the 50s, the day to day life of the Raven Keeper at the Tower etc.

Thank you! This is great. Really great. 

• Like 1

Brilliant stuff @yen_powell thankyou.

I particularly liked that in the many photos in the Doris article theres a lot of smiles when smiling for a photo back then wasnt the predominant pose. Neutral expressions were common. Made it feel like she (and most her family) were/are genuinely smiley people which was a lovely thing to read about. 

4 hours ago, Renegade said:

Fuck !   That does look like me, but I would never have been seen on a Fizzie.

you have never lived, our secondary school yard was full of sports mopeds 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Me and @Renegade are too old for the moped era.

Yes, we younger old people will never know the incredible joy of being crouched head down hanging on for grim death and chucking in a few extra bits of coal to get the last bit of speed out of our steam powered motorbikes. Or running out of oil on the way home and so having no lights to see by.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Yes, we younger old people will never know the incredible joy of being crouched head down hanging on for grim death and chucking in a few extra bits of coal to get the last bit of speed out of our steam powered motorbikes. Or running out of oil on the way home and so having no lights to see by.

yup it made life exiting at the time going to the chip shop meets every night 

7 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I love this one. The part where her tea warehouse working husband became the Mayor of Bethnal Green, but his employer wouldn't give him time off to do it so he had to get a new job.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2021/10/05/beattie-orwell-centenarian-x/

Fantastic woman!

On 03/10/2021 at 18:30, skyrider said:

yep it was all about who had the fastest ped at the time 😆

My Garelli Tiger thrashed everything, It also fell apart every day without fail 😏

• Haha 2