Spitalfield Life website

yen_powell

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

I went to Petticoat Lane when I was a kid......I expected to see petticoats everywhere!

I get asked by tourists where Petticoat Lane Market is and they get confused when I say no such named street exists but it's in Middlesex and Wentworth Street.

They say you can have your watch stolen off your wrist as you enter at one end and by the time you get to the opposite end you can buy it back off a stall. Same goes for bicycles in Brick Lane market.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

I went to Petticoat Lane when I was a kid......I expected to see petticoats everywhere!

Imagine my disappointment when I was taken to Oxford Circus as a kid!.........😉😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From the link above, this is currently being converted into our new Town hall, no one wants to work there it's a nightmare to get to or park around. Even the Elephant Man died rather than stay there, I bet I get his old room (when they finish getting all the asbestos out of it), or a desk outside on the old helicopter pad, I'm sure that wasn't an original feature!

image.png.6895f8695046ce54a89fffa38660e766.png

• Like 3

On 19/11/2021 at 15:48, yen_powell said:

From the link above, this is currently being converted into our new Town hall, no one wants to work there it's a nightmare to get to or park around. Even the Elephant Man died rather than stay there, I bet I get his old room (when they finish getting all the asbestos out of it), or a desk outside on the old helicopter pad, I'm sure that wasn't an original feature!

image.png.6895f8695046ce54a89fffa38660e766.png

I used to go there for work over a fair period of time. The pathology lab used to be above the entrance where the arched windows are. One of the ladies in the lab used to get me a parking spot right at the front if I phoned her when I was on my way.

Pathology is now a new building a couple of streets back from there now. On street parking is a bit dodgy, but I used to go to a hand car wash place on one of the backstreets who had a few parking spaces. The company I worked for would only reimburse us £7.50  a month for car washing. This place charged £10 for a wash and vacuum and £10 a day for parking. So I used to park there and get them to wash the car and then get them to give me a receipt for £20 for parking. The company was quite happy to pay the £20 for "parking", I got the car washed and hoovered and they were none the wiser! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tango said:

I used to go there for work over a fair period of time. The pathology lab used to be above the entrance where the arched windows are. One of the ladies in the lab used to get me a parking spot right at the front if I phoned her when I was on my way.

Pathology is now a new building a couple of streets back from there now. On street parking is a bit dodgy, but I used to go to a hand car wash place on one of the backstreets who had a few parking spaces. The company I worked for would only reimburse us £7.50  a month for car washing. This place charged £10 for a wash and vacuum and £10 a day for parking. So I used to park there and get them to wash the car and then get them to give me a receipt for £20 for parking. The company was quite happy to pay the £20 for "parking", I got the car washed and hoovered and they were none the wiser! 

It's a pain to park anywhere round there, even most of the illegal spaces are full. I had a friend who had major surgery in the new hospital and there were no nearby motorcycle spaces and at the time I had my kidney stent in so long walks were not an option. I brought forward a a bit of work around the corner, parked my bike in the middle of it and had the blokes put the safety barriers all round the job and my bike. They were under strict instructions not to leave site till I got back. Then I headed off to the new building and promptly got lost inside. The new hospital is a maze.

Another visitor to my friend whilst I was there was a local rozzer and he said all the local police know the proper routes through the hospital from visiting the victims of violence all the time to take statements. I hadn't known he was old bill until then, he was just someone I saw at bike rallies/parties.

• Like 6

Love the photo of all the old Navy figureheads. Touch of the Aunt Sallys. Also, regarding the picture of The Grapes pub, that is now owned by Sir Ian McKellen who lives next door. He didn't want it being turned into flats so bought it. There was a bit of a hooha a few years ago when some of the regulars got barred. It's not uncommon to see famous faces in there, especially a bald  Star Trek captain.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2021/12/02/sights-of-wonderful-london-o/

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

There was a bit of a hooha a few years ago when some of the regulars got barred. It's not uncommon to see famous faces in there, especially a bald  Star Trek captain.

That's very cool!

• Like 2

On 01/12/2021 at 12:05, yen_powell said:

My grandad ran away from his home in Lambeth when he was 13 and went to Northfleet in Kent and signed up as a cabin boy on one of the Thames Barges. He did this throughout WWI, shipping coal to support the war effort in France/Belgium. He said that he used to shin up the main mast to put the boats pennent up and also did it for a couple of the other barges, which earned him 6d from each of them. He never drank alcohol in his life, but he used to use the money to buy tobacco. He joined the Royal Navy a few years later (and falsified his age to join earlier) and he used to trade his tot of rum for tobacco. He smoked until he was in his mid 70's and then just gave it up. He died at 99.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Tango said:

My grandad ran away from his home in Lambeth when he was 13 and went to Northfleet in Kent and signed up as a cabin boy on one of the Thames Barges. He did this throughout WWI, shipping coal to support the war effort in France/Belgium. He said that he used to shin up the main mast to put the boats pennent up and also did it for a couple of the other barges, which earned him 6d from each of them. He never drank alcohol in his life, but he used to use the money to buy tobacco. He joined the Royal Navy a few years later (and falsified his age to join earlier) and he used to trade his tot of rum for tobacco. He smoked until he was in his mid 70's and then just gave it up. He died at 99.

Amazing man Bob!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Amazing man Bob!

He was a character, that's for sure, Pete. Little wiry fella, but as strong as an Ox. After he left the RN he started his own business putting fences and gates up. Proper stuff, with big oak and chestnut posts. He did a few big country estates, but he was such an old bugger that no one could work with him, so he'd do it all by himself. He always used to drive the old Bedford vans. I still smile when I  see one. I reckon that some of that fencing is still standing. It would be too scared to fall down! 😂😂😂

• Haha 5