Spitalfield Life website

yen_powell

I had to cut a friend free, a stripper had tied him to a chair and no one could get the knots undone. I remembered someone had sold me a penknife earlier that day at work. I found it and freed him. The next thing I recall is the barmaid putting a blue catering plaster on my bleeding finger to stop me leaking over the buffet.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, skyrider said:

what sort of a place was this ?

The background to this was, the stag do organiser (future brother in law to the groom) was wandering around collecting money for the strippers to tie the groom to the chair for various reasons. It backfired on him and it was him instead who ended up tied to the chair minus his lower garments. I still see him, we used to trail ride together, went out for a road ride this recent summer, he was fully trousered though, riding on his KTM 'Bigthing' (not sure of the model).

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, XTreme said:

A night out with Yen sounds a bundle of laughs to me! 

Walking Glancing GIF

He has his bike on his whatsapp pic. You may know exactly what it is, they all look the same to me. He's not supposed to ride a bike after a very serious spinal operation about 10 years ago. He had old injuries from his horse rolling on him when he was in the Royal Horse Artillery, plus various bike crash injuries on top. He says this one bike gives him a riding position that doesn't aggravate his spine surgery.

image.png.a2219c519fa8c41c0f13db4cfdfb1482.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

He has his bike on his whatsapp pic. You may know exactly what it is, they all look the same to me. He's not supposed to ride a bike after a very serious spinal operation about 10 years ago. He had old injuries from his horse rolling on him when he was in the Royal Horse Artillery, plus various bike crash injuries on top. He says this one bike gives him a riding position that doesn't aggravate his spine surgery.

image.png.a2219c519fa8c41c0f13db4cfdfb1482.png

He's really colour coordinated! 

2 hours ago, yen_powell said:

The pub that faced two different directions.

Can't be many pubs where the front has swapped sides.

Never been inside, but will try and get down there soon in case it does vanish.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/01/28/save-the-george-tavern/

Do many of these old spit and sawdust boozers still exist back there now Yen?

8 hours ago, yen_powell said:

The pub that faced two different directions.

Can't be many pubs where the front has swapped sides.

Never been inside, but will try and get down there soon in case it does vanish.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/01/28/save-the-george-tavern/

there is a pub in preston with three doors that lead on to three different street's 

21 hours ago, XTreme said:

I've only ever actually seen one pub with sawdust on the floor, the Spotted Dog in Barking. Used to see it in butchers, but even that has stopped now.

There are a few normal pubs with 'normal for London' regulars in east London, but not many. Most get converted into flats, demolished and replaced with glass fronted flats, become mosques or a very few get converted into trendy expensive pubs.

I've just done a small paving job outside an old pub, they rebuilt it from the ground up, not intentionally, the old structure was meant to be refurbished but it was so bad they had to start from the foundations up with an exact replica of the bottom part but now with flats on top. I made them reverse an outward opening door before I gave them their change from my works as that is a big no no in the UK. They have still not managed to find anyone willing to take on the pub part and run it, no one is interested, they've done a really nice job as well.

This is the original pub

https://goo.gl/maps/PKcgWXBxVEQdfDgP6

This is how far down they had to demolish in the end

https://goo.gl/maps/64z9hU1KrASL8CscA

I'll dig out a picture of the replacement when I have access to my work files.

• Like 3

On 28/01/2022 at 13:06, XTreme said:

There used to be a pub in Keysham (the Trout Tavern) that always had sawdust on the floor , I'm not sure if it's still like it now ?

edit:  it seems not,  booooooo hisssssss

index.jpg.1412952ad2a931578bf9ea26ddf34afc.jpg

index.jpg.588dbf5c8350e6c63f5342d432648e7b.jpg

• Like 2

I remember in The Tredegar in Swansea in 1972.......a few of us were sitting in the bar and the owner walked a horse through the room.

Went out the back yard for a piss (the bogs were just a wall covered by a corrugated roof) and there was a rat sitting there looking at me.

• Haha 2

On 29/01/2022 at 15:02, XTreme said:

Went out the back yard for a piss (the bogs were just a wall covered by a corrugated roof) and there was a rat sitting there looking at me.

I bet he flung himself on the very next trap he saw after seeing the ginger nest at the urinal.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

It's a corker today. Underground Karzi.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/02/03/at-gods-convenience-o/

Now you're talking Yen!

This is inspirational stuff......

spacer.png

If I was you I'd do a Ride Report there and have a good fucking dump to commemorate the occasion!

No doubt in later years people will be able to pay a visit and see a plaque saying "Yen Powell dropped his guts here 2022".

jurassic park deal with it GIF

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

Now you're talking Yen!

This is inspirational stuff......

spacer.png

If I was you I'd do a Ride Report there and have a good fucking dump to commemorate the occasion!

No doubt in later years people will be able to pay a visit and see a plaque saying "Yen Powell dropped his guts here 2022".

jurassic park deal with it GIF

Crapping in the city is not as cheap as it used to be. The old saying, 'Here I sit broken hearted, paid my penny, only farted', no longer applies, it's around 50p to dump the kids off at the pool these days.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Crapping in the city is not as cheap as it used to be. The old saying, 'Here I sit broken hearted, paid my penny, only farted', no longer applies, it's around 50p to dump the kids off at the pool these days.

50p to take a shit? :classic_ohmy:

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

It's a great word 'Crapper'  don't you think ?  I remember when someone told me where the word came from I wouldn't believe them :classic_laugh:

Yes, same here, I thought someone was yanking my chain (see what I did there). I barely believed the same sort of thing about the sandwich, cardigan or wellington boot, they are too familiar to be peoples' names.

Perhaps one day people will look at an old tramp with no trousers on and his arse hanging out of a pair of grimy under-crackers and say to them selves, look at the state of his yens.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Perhaps one day people will look at an old tramp with no trousers on and his arse hanging out of a pair of grimy under-crackers and say to them selves, look at the state of his yens.

Tv Show Lol GIF

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, boboneleg said:

It's a great word 'Crapper'  don't you think ?  I remember when someone told me where the word came from I wouldn't believe them :classic_laugh:

the guy that invented the bog

• Like 1