GPS Question!

XTreme

Apart from the resistance to weather conditions and damage resistance (not necessary) what's the difference between car and motorcycle GPS's?

Because if I get one it'll mainly be used in the car......though on occasion it would be used on the bike.

I'm looking at THIS!

50 minutes ago, Buckster said:

There is no difference other than the waterproofing.

That's what I thought!

But I was just checking specs on the Garmin 55 and apparently it only has up to an hour battery life.

I'm not getting electric sockets fitted on the bike just for the odd occasion I might use it.

Why on Gods fruckin Green /Blue? sometimes red and brown earth would you need something waterproof on a motorcycle that doesnt also need coastie guard certification? Asking for sane people.

🤓

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That's what I thought!

But I was just checking specs on the Garmin 55 and apparently it only has up to an hour battery life.

I'm not getting electric sockets fitted on the bike just for the odd occasion I might use it.

I have my Garmin Montana hardwired but you can also use it (and I have done) with 3 x AA batteries, on the batteries it will last about 5 hours.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I have my Garmin Montana hardwired but you can also use it (and I have done) with 3 x AA batteries, on the batteries it will last about 5 hours.

Do you use a USB socket Bob?

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I would expect batteries to last a lot less than normal under direct summer sun in over 30º

oh come on Pedro... not in the uk... not 30

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

That's what I thought!

just get tool's to do it 👍

15 minutes ago, skyrider said:

just get tool's to do it 👍

Not worth the effort Lionel!

I'll just stick with the phone for the odd occasion that I need directions.

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

It's not that difficult Pete, it means there's no chance of draining your battery by accident and makes a much better connection.

• Like 2

Just now, boboneleg said:

It's not that difficult Pete, it means there's no chance of draining your battery by accident and makes a much better connection.

So if you left something plugged in with the bike not running you could end up with a flat battery?

Fuck it.....I'm sticking with my mobile!

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

So if you left something plugged in with the bike not running you could end up with a flat battery?

Fuck it.....I'm sticking with my mobile!

You don't even have to have anything plugged into some of those USB thingy's , some of them have a slight draw all the time.

• Like 2

I've got a Tom Tom 400. I use it on the bike and in the car. It came with mounts for both, some sort of deal the seller was doing at the time. In the car I just plug it into the power socket, but once when I had blown the fuse for that (when I plugged in a phone charger) I just used its own internal charge, knocking it onto stand by until I needed information when I would liven up the screen. Managed an 8 hour journey that way and then again coming home later that week, charged it by plugging it into the hotel tv usb socket. Took me a while to identify the fuse, every book and website gave a different location and number for it. Had never realised how many fuses and fuse boxes my car actually had until then.

On the bike the mount will let you swivel it to read it long way up, good for seeing what's coming further along. I have the mount wired to the battery. Clicking it on to the mount makes it turn on automatically when it realises it has connected to a power supply. As it takes a while to get going, if I'm in a hurry I turn it on indoors whilst I'm togging up so it's ready for action as soon as I start the engine.

If you miss a turn or deliberately ignore it, or it is a blocked road it recalculates in a few seconds. I occasionally work out a route using Tyre on the PC and then transferring it to the Tom Tom via cable. I've dropped it onto the road quite a few times, it's has shrugged that off.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I've dropped it onto the road quite a few times,

Where you trail braking at the time?

Cos nothing good ever comes of that malarkey!

toy motorbike GIF

• Haha 1