The Obsession with having Riding Buddies?

XTreme

I think you all know I prefer to do my own thing......and have been since the late 70's.

I had enough of the stupidity, chaos, and carnage in the years before that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Clive said:

From the few group rides I have been on, there is always one twat who wants to turn a ride into a race.

And a couple of other twats who oblige!?

And you meet up and some twats then have to go and get fuel.....that really used to wind me up. Too fucking stupid to get fuel first!

Then somebody gets a puncture, somebody breaks down, somebody bins it, somebody goes missing and you have to wait round for them......and when you get to where you're going somebody complains that it's shit there.

Some want to leave there, others want to stay there.....so they start scuffling. And my particular favourite.....somebody leans back on a jukebox, falls through it, and reduces it to debris.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Mandi's my riding buddy most of the time but I have others I go out with or ride by myself. Not fussed either way.

But no pictures Dave? :classic_unsure:

We know somebody like that don't we @Tym?

• Haha 1

I see both sides here, I've had some cracking trips at home and abroad in the the company of others and I've had some great trips on my own.

Recently covid has changed things a lot so most of my riding has been on my own.  To ride with others I think you have to have a degree of tolerance, the expectations of a trip can be so different to each individual.

• Like 2

But there are some people who literally never ride unless they've got somebody to ride with.

So why have they got a bike? Why don't they just join a social club or something?

Or is that being seem to have a bike is more important than actually riding it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

But there are some people who literally never ride unless they've got somebody to ride with.

So why have they got a bike? Why don't they just join a social club or something?

Or is that being seem to have a bike is more important than actually riding it?

No offence mate the from my observations a lot of the Welsh (the ones who inhabit the veranda, Landovery cafe etc) wouldn't know what to do if they didn't have a least one other bike to ride with.  I suppose it happens in England too (Box hill, blah, blah) but those sort of places are my idea of hell ?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

No offence mate the from my observations a lot of the Welsh (the ones who inhabit the veranda, Landovery cafe etc) wouldn't know what to do if they didn't have a least one other bike to ride with.  I suppose it happens in England too (Box hill, blah, blah) but those sort of places are my idea of hell ?

It was that lot....the bellends in Abergavenny, and the sad fucks in the Ponderosa up north that I was thinking of Bob.

I'm not one of those who thinks everything that's Welsh is somehow better.......cos the reality is it's not. It's usually worse!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BusBoy said:

Do you though. Which were your best trips, who was with you?

By alone, I meant no other bikes. 

I do like company for dinner and a few laughs, but the riding is better with no other bikes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I see both sides here, I've had some cracking trips at home and abroad in the the company of others and I've had some great trips on my own.

Recently covid has changed things a lot so most of my riding has been on my own.  To ride with others I think you have to have a degree of tolerance, the expectations of a trip can be so different to each individual.

That's my thoughts on it as well Bob. On the trail riding side of things i get called stupid for riding on my own, but if i waited for others I'd hardly ever get out and then when i do get company i always get the excuses to go home after a few hours or there's always that one telling you where you should be going but never willing to lead or organise a ride

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's my thoughts on it as well Bob. On the trail riding side of things i get called stupid for riding on my own, but if i waited for others I'd hardly ever get out and then when i do get company i always get the excuses to go home after a few hours or there's always that one telling you where you should be going but never willing to lead or organise a ride

Bang on Fred, i love those sorts.  You plan the route, lead the way, open the gates blah, blah, blah and then they start moaning but have no intention of ever planning anything themselves :wank4az:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

LOL i know what you mean bob. i called into the westend cafe on the way back from a ride once for quick snack before heading home and was listening to a group of lads bragging about how far they had been it was about 60miles they asked me where I'd been and after i told them i had just done 190 miles of back roads and trails and still had another 50 to get home they all looked quite embarrassed especially because i was on my XR400 LOL 

• Haha 1

With a few exceptions I prefer to ride alone. I have always preferred boating solo and am perfectly content in my own company.  I like to think that this is because I have nothing to prouve, am capable of looking after myself and making my own decisions and don't need other people. ( but it's probably selfishness,  that and the fact that nobody else will put up with me for more than an hour...?)

If Other people want to only ride in groupes then fine, "chaqu'un sa merde" as they say over here. I have ceased trying to understand other people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MooN said:

With a few exceptions I prefer to ride alone. I have always preferred boating solo and am perfectly content in my own company.  I like to think that this is because I have nothing to prouve, am capable of looking after myself and making my own decisions and don't need other people. ( but it's probably selfishness,  that and the fact that nobody else will put up with me for more than an hour...?)

If Other people want to only ride in groupes then fine, "chaqu'un sa merde" as they say over here. I have ceased trying to understand other people.

I've had a few people on FaceButt saying they wanted to meet up for a ride.

But they never show.....thank fuck.

There's no place for babysitting duties in the world of Dark Motorcycling!

Tell 'em @Tym

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BusBoy said:

Christ, you lot are about Sunday bimbles in company. Ya no, solo. I meant going on a ride. a.k.a. roadtrip / tour / adventure, not some coffeshop parade or scratch round the block.

Same as what I was thinking. A short ride with a mate to meet for a coffee is fine, but on several day rides two bikes put too much of a strain on things. You're never ready to go in the morning at the same time, almost never really want to ride at the same pace, get tired at different rates, etc, the freedom of going out by yourself in the morning is invaluable to me on trip. Having said that, there are people that just click together perfectly, be it couples or friends who are very much in tune and even when they're not in tune it's still cool, but that's rare to find.

Going for a ride with absolute strangers is a nightmare to me, having said that, I might be planning to lead a mototour through northern Portugal next year and see how that business goes :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MooN said:

This explains why you limited me to an hour when I visited your boatyard, and then when I came back a couple of years later you weren't even there   ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

This explains why you limited me to an hour when I visited your boatyard, and then when I came back a couple of years later you weren't even there   ?

When I told him I was driving past Auxerre in 2005......he went into hiding!

That sort of behaviour tells you what sort of person he is!

Tell 'em @Buckster

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BusBoy said:

Christ, you lot are about Sunday bimbles in company. Ya no, solo. I meant going on a ride. a.k.a. roadtrip / tour / adventure, not some coffeshop parade or scratch round the block.

Going on a long road trip i will say some company is welcome. When i was invited to join Bob and his mates on a trip to Italy the only one i new was Bob, i only have good memories of the trip and like to think i got on with everyone. The only thing that bothers me is what i eat if it isn't egg and chips I'm fooked where most people will eat any old crap so makes me feel awkward. Hell now i think about it Bob and his mates tried to set me up with one of them due to not being able to get us all booked into a hotel the first night, i had to share a bed with someone I'd never met before he kept his hands to himself most of the night so it was all good :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BusBoy said:

You lot should have known he'd be a cunt.

Buck hadn't done his analysis back in 2005 Bruce......so he was an unknown quantity back then.

But we all know what he is now! :littleguy:

I just remembered that I did once meet up with a group of strangers for a multi day ride, back in 2013 I rode down to the Vercors to join up with a group of Aissies from austouring forum run by glitch.oz I joined them for 2 days on the northernmost section of their "Tornanti III" alps tour. the meet up timingwas fucked up but for the rest it was a case of just slotting into the group who were superbly welcoming and made me feel like I'd known them for years. They have abviously ridden together a lot and Pete ( Glitch) had obviously put in a LOT or planning and work prior to the trip, it was all very well organised and slick and throroughly enjoyable, no stress, no whining, no stragglers everybody just doing whatever was needed to keep it all together. 

As Pedro says, it is a rare thing, which is what makes it worth mentioning.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MooN said:

I just remembered that I did once meet up with a group of strangers for a multi day ride, back in 2013 I rode down to the Vercors to join up with a group of Aissies from austouring forum run by glitch.oz I joined them for 2 days on the northernmost section of their "Tornanti III" alps tour. the meet up timingwas fucked up but for the rest it was a case of just slotting into the group who were superbly welcoming and made me feel like I'd known them for years. They have abviously ridden together a lot and Pete ( Glitch) had obviously put in a LOT or planning and work prior to the trip, it was all very well organised and slick and throroughly enjoyable, no stress, no whining, no stragglers everybody just doing whatever was needed to keep it all together. 

As Pedro says, it is a rare thing, which is what makes it worth mentioning.

I remember that. 

• Like 1