Getting my bike back on the road again.

Well a short history to start, in 2016 I slipped a disc and had only been able to ride it a couple of times before I moved to the country in 2019.

When I got it here I decided to give it a bit of a smarten up so I organised a hi flow filter, new plugs , cans, a custom jetting kit (which has the same jets as those that are in it) etc etc etc, then some cunt shutdown the world.

As a result the bike sat while I waited and waited on the parts, sadly I had already pulled a bunch of stuff off it otherwise I would have left it as it was.

So got the forks done and sent the rear shock away for a rebuild, eventually got someone to help me get the tank off, what a c*nt of a job, took two of us about 15 minutes, I guess that's the price that you pay for ready to race bikes.

Anyway I pottered away at it and now have it close to fruition, things that I need to do include the calipers, plugs, air filter and coolant, that's eff all I hear you snigger.

So I have the calipers off and split and now need to blow the pistons out, they are stuck so they are in a container with lanolin and WD40 and when my mate gets back in his shop I'll take them down and use his compressor, hopefully they'll pop out and the seals will be OK, the local KTM fiche tells me that these parts cost a bomb and also are not in stock, just more good news really so I'll make do with what I have.

In more good news the weather has made an abrupt turn  from six days of 36+ in a row to a pleasant 28 average so now I can get into the garage without a special suit which is nice.

I found that whenever I wanted to do something on the bike it was a little tricky, take adding coolant for example, I went and got what I needed and then opened the owners manual, to refill the coolant raise the front wheel 500mm, great I thought, nothing like  challenge, I eventually got an engine lifter for that job but now it needs done again since moving the bike to a new garage.

I saw online that if you lie the bike over to near horizontal and massage the large hose you can pump it through, well its easier than getting an engine lifter I think, however I had a thought and with my very large syringe and a suitable length of tubing I should be able to squirt some coolant in at the bottom, maybe even fill it up the drain plug, will give that a go later.

I now need to do the plugs  and filter and maybe check the carbs, when I stopped riding it I let the fuel completely run out while idling so hopefully the carbs aren't all gummy, as I have had it running albeit a bit roughly that seems to have worked, I do not want to do anything to the carbs if I can avoid it, maybe a can of carb cleaner might sort out any little problems, so that's about it apart from one major job, remounting the top box bracket, if it doesn't have a top box it's not a proper bike, no tiny caravan for me and Pete, we're top box men.

So here's a couple of photos of the calipers and also my inside work area to set the scene.

thumbnail_20240318_130404.jpg

thumbnail_20240318_130350.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

Sounds like bs to me. Those are just random pictures off the Internet. 

You and your conspiracies.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, zzzak said:

You and your conspiracies.

You have more chance of walking on the moon than riding a bike again.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Maybe a fake ride?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Buckster said:

Giant steps are what you take, walking on the Moon, so how come the astronots could only do pissy little yumps in 1/6th gravity ?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Whats a cardboard bike ?

1 hour ago, zzzak said:

Giant steps are what you take, walking on the Moon, so how come the astronots could only do pissy little yumps in 1/6th gravity ?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Police (NASA) wouldnt let them 😉

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Any pics of the bike ....like recent pics...all apart and everything  ?

I'll get some tomorrow, had a go at getting the pistons out of the calipers today, they are stucky stuck, my mate doesn't like to blast them with compressed air so I'll keep soaking them but I think that the air might have to be.

9 minutes ago, zzzak said:

I'll get some tomorrow, had a go at getting the pistons out of the calipers today, they are stucky stuck, my mate doesn't like to blast them with compressed air so I'll keep soaking them but I think that the air might have to be.

Star Trek Hoax GIF

So you made the suggestion that I get my bike back on the road and I took it up and now all that you can do is post stupid shit about it, moronic level stupid shit, are you attempting to be humorous or something ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buckster said:

You don't even have a bike.

Yep, you got me there, all that I have are some calipers, you on the other hand have a pikey road train.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, zzzak said:

Yep, you got me there, all that I have are some calipers, you on the other hand have a pikey road train.

You don't even have calipers.

• Haha 1

Is this supposed to be humorous or something, seriously I don't get it.

Pete, might be time for a new mod, this ones fucked in the head.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zzzak said:

Is this supposed to be humorous or something, seriously I don't get it.

Pete, might be time for a new mod, this ones fucked in the head.

We have no proof that any of this is real.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, zzzak said:

I normally push the pistons out as far as pos using the hydraulics, then take them off the bike. Gives you a good head start with removing them in the shed.
Bit late to tell you that :classic_unsure:

• Like 2