Getting my bike back on the road again.

7 hours ago, zzzak said:

Thanks for the input, my pistons measure 34 but the Brembo site only mentions 40's, anyway it doesn't matter because these ones are going back in, cheers.

34mm pistons are readily available.

19 hours ago, zzzak said:

Not sure what you mean by all the problems, the only problem has been the brakes and they're under control, the suspension needed to be done anyway as did the air filter, the new cans were just because and anyway the standard ones were getting to hard to clean, weighed lots and the new ones look better, weigh less and sound great.

The important thing is that the engine has been running recently so the carbs are clear, when I knew that I wasn't going to be using it for some time I let it idle until it stopped from a lack of petrol so that was a good idea I think.

I did eff about trying to zinc plate the engine bolts but then I found the S/S kit so that was that, on my to do list now is tidy up the radiator and refill it, install the new plugs and put the bits back on and then it should fire up and be ready for the road.

So its not that far away, it will soon be entered in topbox of the month.

P1010275(1).jpg.716d3902488a247fab428cdf7117912e.jpg

43 K before you bothered to change the air filter  

what-is-going-on-obama.gif.522466f7080bad4dd989a53324b1f5e3.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, boboneleg said:

43 K before you bothered to change the air filter  

what-is-going-on-obama.gif.522466f7080bad4dd989a53324b1f5e3.gif

Remove the tank shrouds and the plastic covers that are either side of the
radiator, and unscrew the large tank bolt at the rear of the tank (I'm sure your already there).
Underneath the left hand rad plastic cover there is the horn, and a couple of plastic electrical connectors. The horn and one of the electrical connectors (can't remember which one) needs to be disconnected.
Shut off the fuel tap valves that are at the front lower part of the tank, both sides, they look like small (10mm dia) silver valves. Disconnect the fuel lines from both sides.

The fuel pump is attached to the left hand side inner surface of the tank. You could either disconnect the lines that run to and from the pump (=faff!) or pull the fuel pump from the tank (easy). You need to pull it towards the right hand side of the bike. The pump is mounted in a large rubber block, which has 2 slots in it. These 2 slots fit over 2 metal tongs. Its quite a tight fit and takes a bit of effort to remove, helps to have one person lift the tank and the other work at uncoupling the fuel pump, but you can lift the tank and rest it in a lifted position to give you more room to work on the pump.

Once the pump is disco'd the tank should lift off.

Its a bastard of a job and the bike seemed to be running just fine, due to the age of the rubbers I think it took two of us about 30 minutes to get it off, anyway it doesn't matter now and I look forward to the enhanced performance from the new filter and cans.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

Plenty on eBay too.

None that would fit my bike, there are Kwaka, Honda etc but no actual KTM ones and the prices are outrageous when you include postage, anyway the ones that I have are going back in so we are trying to find a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

39 minutes ago, zzzak said:

Remove the tank shrouds and the plastic covers that are either side of the
radiator, and unscrew the large tank bolt at the rear of the tank (I'm sure your already there).
Underneath the left hand rad plastic cover there is the horn, and a couple of plastic electrical connectors. The horn and one of the electrical connectors (can't remember which one) needs to be disconnected.
Shut off the fuel tap valves that are at the front lower part of the tank, both sides, they look like small (10mm dia) silver valves. Disconnect the fuel lines from both sides.

The fuel pump is attached to the left hand side inner surface of the tank. You could either disconnect the lines that run to and from the pump (=faff!) or pull the fuel pump from the tank (easy). You need to pull it towards the right hand side of the bike. The pump is mounted in a large rubber block, which has 2 slots in it. These 2 slots fit over 2 metal tongs. Its quite a tight fit and takes a bit of effort to remove, helps to have one person lift the tank and the other work at uncoupling the fuel pump, but you can lift the tank and rest it in a lifted position to give you more room to work on the pump.

Once the pump is disco'd the tank should lift off.

Its a bastard of a job and the bike seemed to be running just fine, due to the age of the rubbers I think it took two of us about 30 minutes to get it off, anyway it doesn't matter now and I look forward to the enhanced performance from the new filter and cans.

OMG !! I used to take the air filter out and clean it every fifth ride on my 950's .  A dirty filter will kill your fuel consumption and your engine eventually .  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

OMG !! I used to take the air filter out and clean it every fifth ride on my 950's .  A dirty filter will kill your fuel consumption and your engine eventually .  

Was yours an ADV ?

My fuel consumption never changed, it was 17km a liter or 6l/100 if you prefer it that way around.

Speaking of 950's I found this in my YouTube feed, very interesting video for 950 fanciers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zzzak said:

None that would fit my bike, there are Kwaka, Honda etc but no actual KTM ones and the prices are outrageous when you include postage, anyway the ones that I have are going back in so we are trying to find a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Not saying there was a prob but knowing what happens with the composite pistons a stainless option I'd have thought would be a longer lasting fix.

I've polished a few marked pistons up myself to get them going again too.

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

Not saying there was a prob but knowing what happens with the composite pistons a stainless option I'd have thought would be a longer lasting fix.

I  don't imagine that I'll be doing much to stress the brakes around here but thanks for the tip.

14 hours ago, zzzak said:

Was yours an ADV ?

My fuel consumption never changed, it was 17km a liter or 6l/100 if you prefer it that way around.

MPG. 

1 hour ago, zzzak said:

6 L/100km, 47.08016667 Imperial mpg

47mpg from a KTM950 , obviously you ride like a granny then :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

47mpg from a KTM950 , obviously you ride like a granny then :classic_laugh:

That's cruising at around the speed limit, around here speeding is treated like murder with ridiculous penalties and at my age I prefer to take it easy, you may find the same if you ever grow up.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

I found stainless pistons on eBay here, a set would cost me £365 or 10% of the sales value of the bike so I think that I'll pass.

29 minutes ago, zzzak said:

I found stainless pistons on eBay here, a set would cost me £365 or 10% of the sales value of the bike so I think that I'll pass.

About £70 for four here. You live in some shithole if they are ripping you off that much.

23 minutes ago, Buckster said:

About £70 for four here. You live in some shithole if they are ripping you off that much.

That was a set of ten, four in each front caliper and two in the rear, smaller market means higher prices I guess but I'm sticking with the ones that Brembo used.

12 hours ago, zzzak said:

That's cruising at around the speed limit, around here speeding is treated like murder with ridiculous penalties and at my age I prefer to take it easy, you may find the same if you ever grow up.

Sacrilege using a bike like that for just cruising around, you need to get yourself a scooter 

Food Tongue GIF by Rachael Ray Show

• Like 1

7 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Sacrilege using a bike like that for just cruising around, you need to get yourself a scooter 

He is being careful not to come to the attention of “them”.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I was getting around 7000 k's per rear tyre and they were worn at the edge so there's that, where I am now there aren't any corners but lots of highway robbers so like a dignified elder I just pfaff about.

4 hours ago, Buckster said:

He is being careful not to come to the attention of “them”.

They called Ned Kelly a highwayman but he had nothing on these carnts, I heard from a Federal cop that a friend of mine knew that when they go into police training the low IQ ones go into traffic and I believe it.

Another thing here is that if you get a speeding ticket they can suspend your bus permit.

image.png.1a4e3856d6da4d1863602d8d24cae644.png

image_2024-05-01_075142745.png

1 hour ago, zzzak said:

Another thing here is that if you get a speeding ticket they can suspend your bus permit.

Wouldn't worry me.......we don't have a bus in this town! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Not even the variety bus.... I'd have thought you'd have been its first stop

34 minutes ago, XTreme said:

We only have school buses, no public transport at all, it keeps out the riff raff, and no fast food either, I was at the local government office yesterday and there was a new girl there, she is a Polynesian Princess, about 300lbs and expanding, she told me that it was her first day and that she went to get a delivery of McDonalds and found that the nearest Maccas was 30 k's away, she was a little distraught about that but being a trooper she told me that she would just walk (waddle) down to the bakery, small town life, ain't it grand.

• Haha 1