New Toy

Saul

Got new cars at work.    First drive for me last night.  DSG 4x4.    Very nice and very smooth to drive.    Bit heavy and feels slow but will probably improve as it runs in and I get used to it.  

IMG_0618.thumb.jpeg.e6db132f605eb37027c0a4e09098c018.jpegIMG_0613.thumb.jpeg.d3f747747b63fc06f468107c02ddc268.jpegIMG_0614.thumb.jpeg.e46d380dd4ace32c5c6190956902cf14.jpegIMG_0616.thumb.jpeg.9712635a4c5c1c5630d0517961017037.jpeg

• Like 9

Do you carry only the doc and an emergency kit or is it packed with lots of weight in the back?

I used to know a nurse that used to drive an fast emergency vehicle with a doctor but they are very loaded with all sorts of stuff. He had a gripe that here they were advised to go for 4wd with petrol engines but saved money by going fwd with diesels, a lot worse to drive with that weight on and also the engines didn’t really like cold hard starts.

• Like 1

It’s normally driver and Clinician.  So me and a Nurse practitioner or Advanced Paramedic or occasionally a Doctor.  We do carry a fair bit of kit, 3 drawers of drugs, a smallish tin of Controlled Drugs (in a mobile safe), emergency bag, Defibrillator, Nebuliser and two bottles of Oxygen.    Plus loads of PPE, first aid kit , catheters and some tools. All housed in a bespoke rack system.  There isn’t a lot of room for anything else but we can carry 4 people if needed.   There is other bits and bobs but I won’t bore you, it is a load of heavy kit though and we run the highest pressures recommend on the tyres to cope with it. It’s my job to look after all that inventory keeping it in date and fully stocked.  I find it all pretty interesting to be honest.  
Our service only does two classifications of call, urgent and routine.  First one has a 2 hour response window and the second 6 hours.  So the car is always running to keep everything charged, the windows clear and control the temperature inside the car.    We are not allowed to break any traffic laws.   No hard starts at all.  In fact I am pretty popular with the clinicians as I drive smoothly and that helps them doze off between visits. If I was to tear about that wouldn’t be the case.   And some drivers do.   
Kernow Health (my employer) did test 1.5 petrol cars but ended up going for 2.0 diesel’s.    Mostly for economy I understand.  
I like this new Kodiac but I feel the Octavia Scouts we had were better suited to the task.   I suppose once I get used to the Kodiac my opinion will change.     

Kernow Health also runs falls cars and patient transfer, non  emergency, ambulances.   Basically our services fill the gap between emergency services and general practice.  We are mostly creatures of the night 🤣

• Like 5

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

I'm sure it's perfect for your job but it's a Diesel estate car.  I nearly fell asleep just looking at it ..................  😬

You would be surprised how many cars we looked at and rejected before they decided on the Kodiac.  Yeah most were diesels but not exclusively.    Devon Doc our counterparts went for hybrid Hondas and had no end of breakdowns, but that was more to do with stupid penny pinching SOP's as far as I know.  Pedro did ask that's why I went on about the Kodiac in detail.     

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Skoda's are great cars....when we finally bin the Picasso then they'll be up there with the Japs as a replacement.

Problem is the secret is out and they command a premium used.   My Mrs wants a Yeti to replace her X3, fuck me do they hold their money well.    Better off looking at a Seat, same running gear different frock, less money.   I have driven lots of miles in Skodas though and do like them, wouldn't swop my Compact for one but I have an attachment to that car.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

So Poll will start tomorrow then :classic_laugh:

Some of these have done astronomical mileages......there's one in the UK that's hit half a million miles.

So ours at 175k kms (110k when we got it) could have a lot of life left in it.

And unlike the UK cars don't rust here!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Some of these have done astronomical mileages......there's one in the UK that's hit half a million miles.

A rusty car is a rare sight here now as well, it's nothing like it was 30 years ago.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, XTreme said:

Skoda's are great cars....when we finally bin the Picasso then they'll be up there with the Japs as a replacement.

Have you checked out the warranty situation yet?

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I'm sure it's perfect for your job but it's a Diesel estate car.  I nearly fell asleep just looking at it ..................  😬

said by the man who bought one of these , you wouldn't  be able to fall asleep looking at it though , cause the laughing wouldn't allow it

R.0b877f41c7f680908076d264ff8fa066?rik=C

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, XTreme said:

its on its 5th engine though... 

• Haha 4