Boots for UK in September

Pedro

If you were to ride around a couple of weeks in the UK in September, northernmost the Isle of Man's latitude, do you think you'd bother with proper waterproof boots or would the occasional small shower proof leather boots be good?

Also, would one be really cold or ok with jeans?

Asking for a friend...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

My Forma Adventure boots keep all the water out including when wading in puddles, Jeans would be ok with something waterproof on top lol The weather is so unpredictable here you would have to plan for everything

"all the water", what do you mean by "all" the water? 

My winter boots are Stylmartin leather boots with a sort of waterproof liner. I guess I'll go shopping ...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

To be honest @Pedro it's the luck of the draw.  September is usually not too bad but I would bring enough kit to cover all bases.

I remember September 76.......after 3 months of scorching heat and drought the fucking heavens opened up.

And it didn't stop till about April!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Pedro said:

"all the water", what do you mean by "all" the water? 

My winter boots are Stylmartin leather boots with a sort of waterproof liner. I guess I'll go shopping ...

You might be ok as you have a cylinder in front of each foot keeping them dry LOL 

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I remember September 76.......after 3 months of scorching heat and drought the fucking heavens opened up.

My friend is going to be a little bit more optimistic as he wasn't yet born in 76.

He seems to have gotten a little carried away today though, and convinced by @Sofia has gotten himself booked on ferries to go over and see what it´s all about the UK little roads and what not. Baps and all that...

He is intent on being nice and comfy in jeans with a pair of rain plastic overalls for the ocasional cover as he was promised that September is great in the UK. 

6 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You might be ok as you have a cylinder in front of each foot keeping them dry LOL 

Actually there's substantial splash coming from the front wheel from under the cylinders on a GS in heavy rain.

11 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

To be honest @Pedro it's the luck of the draw.  September is usually not too bad but I would bring enough kit to cover all bases.

My friend and @Sofia are maybe going past your way ... 

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

to go over and see what it´s all about

I'm sure somebody will show him what it's all about.

I think we better start listing places not to visit if he wants to return home with his bike.......I'll throw Swansea in obviously.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

They must alert me and I'll meet up with them.  Can you get rid of the 'friend' and just send Sofia 😜

That was the original plan, Bob, but my friend has this shed of a BMW that is about to expire and decided to get a pair of stickers from the UK for it before it does. 

If you're cool with guiding them on a little ride around cool roads and there's somewhere near yours with safe parking for the night, I'm sure he'd be happy to invite you and Ersilia for dinner.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That was the original plan, Bob, but my friend has this shed of a BMW that is about to expire and decided to get a pair of stickers from the UK for it before it does. 

If you're cool with guiding them on a little ride around cool roads and there's somewhere near yours with safe parking for the night, I'm sure he'd be happy to invite you and Ersilia for dinner.

They can camp out in Bobs garage with him and sit around his Royal Naval divers issue knife telling scary stories :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

They can camp out in Bobs garage with him and sit around his Royal Naval divers issue knife telling scary stories :classic_laugh:

My friend needs to stop by a proper wine merchant before sleeping in the garage. He's not great with knives either, except to make sandwiches or cut prosciutto. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Finally @Pedro, I mean, his friend, is going to be educated in the best things in life and see the light!! 

I have recommended @Pedro, oh bugger, did it again!  I mean, his friend, takes waterproofs, boots and all the rest, but there is a slight reluctance to accept the inevitable,  it will rain! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know, two days ago it was all "September's great in the UK", the ferry's booked and suddenly it's all about the sure rain now. Luckily I have my yellow rain pants to try on. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

I don't know, two days ago it was all "September's great in the UK", the ferry's booked and suddenly it's all about the sure rain now. Luckily I have my yellow rain pants to try on. 

September should be pretty good this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XTreme said:

Next you'll be saying you saw Noah's arc

• Haha 2

Well riding in the pissing rain is definitely annoyingly in my wheelhouse so brace yourself 😆

September is completely variable, it is the month we can have a second summer or freeze in the pissing rain. 

If your friend would like to wear jeans and waterproofs it is completely doable but they would be wise to also pack a merino wool base layer (which can be worn under normal clothing) and a mid layer like a north face Thermoball. Thermoballs whilst expensive are quite remarkably as warm wet as dry which is a fantastic bonus if you’re in a downpour for too long. The combinations available of these items layered together allows for the different temps you may well find in September and will make riding in normal clothes comfortable. 

As for the boots yes you definitely need decent waterproof boots but as it can be hot make sure they are also breathable or it can be uncomfortable when the sun makes an appearance.

As for the type of waterproofs you use that depends on how much money you want to spend but the most important part is that they give a close fit around the neck so water pearls off your lid onto the waterproof and not inside it, that your gloves fit well and easily with the cuffs and most importantly they seal particularly well around your boot as this stops the upwards creep of water that invariably finds it’s way back down into your boot.

I carry a very long piece of string and midget sized embroidery clips (link below) to use as a make shift washing line in hotel rooms for clothing that cannot be tumble dried, I tend to try and tie it across a radiator to speed up drying.

Ideally if in no rush and the forecast is crap I just stay another night in the same place so my clothes dry thoroughly and the weather has passed. Putting on wet clothes in the morning if it’s cold is not a great feeling.

It is sensible to carry a second pair of gloves as once soaked they don’t dry out easily. 

Sometimes time constraints give you no option but to ride in torrential rain (like having to get to a ferry for a particular time) but a lot of the time so long as you don’t plan to cover huge distances in a day then you can simply check the forecast and plan your departure around the least % chance of rain. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redamancy-Quilting-Coloured-Binding-Suitable/dp/B09FY3J32Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?adgrpid=51981171983&hvadid=259083097916&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006886&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6646502311475529478&hvtargid=kwd-354482821807&hydadcr=28149_1724799&keywords=quilting%2Bclips&qid=1692175946&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

edit- it is helpful if your waterproof trousers can be put on without taking your boots off, it’s almost guaranteed when the ground is sodden you end up tapping your foot on the floor mid waterproof tussle. A simple carrier bag over your boots lets the waterproof slide on very fast rather than sticking to the non slip sole.  

• Like 3

I dont think this Septembers weather is forcast to be bad as theres been talk of a scorcher at some point soon, but as we all know that can change in fairly short order in to a deluge.

If you're 'friend' is about in the northeast let me know and I can lead the way on some very nice roads we aren't short of a good road up here

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Pedro said:

Its that old saying if you take it you won't need it,

hopefully 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Pedro said:

My friend is going to be a little bit more optimistic as he wasn't yet born in 76.

He seems to have gotten a little carried away today though, and convinced by @Sofia has gotten himself booked on ferries to go over and see what it´s all about the UK little roads and what not. Baps and all that...

He is intent on being nice and comfy in jeans with a pair of rain plastic overalls for the ocasional cover as he was promised that September is great in the UK. 

Actually there's substantial splash coming from the front wheel from under the cylinders on a GS in heavy rain.

My friend and @Sofia are maybe going past your way ... 

jeans and jacket , just take some waterproof over jacket and trousers.. if you get up and its raining dont go out on bike , stay in a town so you got stuff to go and do if its to wet to go out on bikes... September should be ok but cant rely on weather here , July has been shite 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, busabeast said:

I dont think this Septembers weather is forcast to be bad as theres been talk of a scorcher at some point soon, but as we all know that can change in fairly short order in to a deluge.

If you're 'friend' is about in the northeast let me know and I can lead the way on some very nice roads we aren't short of a good road up here

Gay

• Haha 1