Texas and back

Earache

First day of the trip to Texas and it's cold as Hell outside -  woke up to 15F / -10C and light snow with lots of wind. Not ideal riding conditions.

Decided to hang out in Black Hawk for a bit and wait for the temps to rise. Hit the local brekkie spot for some chow. I had the breakfast burrito , swimming in green chile while the wife had a more traditional Full American Breakfast...

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

• Like 6

By noon it was up to 22F / -6C and this was to be the high for the day - so it's time to get riding.

Hopped on the scooter and headed due south to warmer climes. Made it to the first fuel stop in Pueblo, Colorado and teh temps were up to 45F / 7C - much better. But the winds had increased to about 45 mph with higher gusts. Blew the Wing all over the place.

Getting some love in Pueblo....

IMG_2620.jpg

• Like 6

We decided to stay the first night in Raton, New Mexico at the always luxurious Holiday Inn Sexpress. Bets hotel in town, which isn't saying a whole lot.

No food around - at least in walking distance - so we had the second worst delivery pizza I've ever had. But it was delivery so I didn't have to go anywhere for food. That's a treat in itself for us as dinner at home involves a 45 minute drive each way....

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_8900.JPG

• Like 6

Today we are heading to Amarillo, Texas to meet up with riding friends Dave and Debbie from Indianapolis. They had to dodge torrential rain and tornadoes across the Midwest yesterday on their first day of riding. Hopefully better weather  and temps for all today.

More later.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Great stuff Eric.....I think it's the first time we've seen your wife with you?

Yes - remember that she bought the Goldwing late last year so that she could go on rides. She didn't like the fit of the ADV bikes in the past and wanted more comfort. So she'll be along on most Goldwing trips. She's 5'11" tall and doesn't really fit on an ADV behind my big ass - the bikes just aren't big enough for us both. We fit well enough on the Wing though.

I'm still gonna do ADV rides though as I really like them.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Blimey , riding in -7C .  The UK would come to halt in those temps :classic_laugh:

I really hope the weather gets a bit warmer for you both.

Not something I wanna do again anytime soon, Bob. It snowed 6" last night at home and they expect 10" more today - we escaped just in time.

High in Amarillo, our next stop, are only expected to be around 6C over the next 2 days. Not ideal but better than snow!

• Like 3

See if you can find Dean when you get to Texas, last I heard he was in Austin. Although I did hear that they had their camper seized on South America at some point so maybe he is in jail in Venezuela. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Earache said:

First day of the trip to Texas and it's cold as Hell outside -  woke up to 15F / -10C and light snow with lots of wind. Not ideal riding conditions.

Decided to hang out in Black Hawk for a bit and wait for the temps to rise. Hit the local brekkie spot for some chow. I had the breakfast burrito , swimming in green chile while the wife had a more traditional Full American Breakfast...

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

Your wife's taste in breakfast is far superior to yours :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Buckster said:

See if you can find Dean when you get to Texas, last I heard he was in Austin. Although I did hear that they had their camper seized on South America at some point so maybe he is in jail in Venezuela. 

A few years ago I heard he was still in South America somewhere!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Your wife's taste in breakfast is far superior to yours :classic_laugh:

...says the man that probably eats that nasty blood pudding crap for breakfast. This is far superior; only stays in you for about 15 minutes and then out it comes,. No time for your body to absorb any of the nasty stuff inside of it.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Buckster said:

Don't know the man or else I'd have a look for him. Sounds like a winner.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Earache said:

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

I'm with the misses on this one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I can't remember his handle on Max bikes ?

No.....I can't either! I know Buck met him and then binned the bike that Dean let him use!

When good trail braking goes bad!

Hillary Clinton Lol GIF

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Earache said:

Not something I wanna do again anytime soon, Bob. It snowed 6" last night at home and they expect 10" more today - we escaped just in time.

My sister was concerned about getting to Denver for a concert tonight... but they were skiing 9" of powder at Copper Mountain this morning so there's that!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

No.....I can't either! I know Buck met him and then binned the bike that Dean let him use!

When good trail braking goes bad!

Hillary Clinton Lol GIF

I never binned anything.

• Like 1

Just now, XTreme said:

I remember it at the time.....Dean loaned you a bike and apparently you came off!

No I didn’t, I ran out of fuel.