Texas and back

Earache

Today really sucked balls. 40F was the high and again, had 40 mph crosswinds. But we made it to Amarillo and now having a beverage in my warm room

Tonight is beers and food at the Big Texan.

My bud from home sent his picture of his driveway today  we dodged a bullet by getting outta town early.

Resized_20230422_084657.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DesmoDog said:

My sister was concerned about getting to Denver for a concert tonight... but they were skiing 9" of powder at Copper Mountain this morning so there's that!  

I';m so fuckin; done with snow this year. And the cold - it's been very cold since October. Ready for some warm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buckster said:

No he didn’t, you are just making shit up now, always the same with you people.

Well we better find Dean to get the truth!

@Earache .......he's a fat bullshitter in his 50's, and is likely to be working as a bike or car salesman in a dealership!

Or he could be in a mental hospital!

Is that enough to go on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Well we better find Dean to get the truth!

@Earache .......he's a fat bullshitter in his 50's, and is likely to be working as a bike or car salesman in a dealership!

Or he could be in a mental hospital!

Is that enough to go on?

Or you could ask someone else who was there.

Dave and Debbie finally made it to Amarillo and we set off for the wife's favorite restaurant in town; The Big Texan.

Weird kinda place that is decorated like an old west saloon and serves huge assed steaks. Dave had a 24 oz, slab of meat while the ladies had smaller portions.

Me, not really being a meat eater, just had some beers. Very good, too.

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

• Like 5

Stopped by the gift shop on the way out to peruse their fine selection of bull horns that were on offer.

Wish they had a front fairing mount for the Goldwing - I'd have bought a set for it...

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The next day, Sunday, and we're heading for Palo Duro State Park southwest of town. It's cold again today so we had to wait until about noon for the temps to get up to 40F / 5C. Although partially sunny today, it never got warmer than that. So chilly riding once again.

Palo Duro is touted as the second biggest canyon in the USA. I'm not buying it though. I've been to 4-5 canyons elsewhere making the same claim. It was a rather lackluster place, really. If this was in Utah, it'd just be another country road out in the middle of nowhere. Not impressive at all. Just a desert.

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8902.JPG

IMG_8903.JPG

IMG_8904.JPG

IMG_8905.JPG

IMG_8906.JPG

IMG_8907.JPG

• Like 6

So far, I'd say that riding in Texas sucks. The winds are unbelievable and make going in a straight line virtually impossible. And since all of the roads are exactly that - straight lines -  it's not a lot of fun.

More of the splendor of Palo Duro ... 

IMG_8911.JPG

IMG_8912.JPG

IMG_8913.JPG

IMG_8914.JPG

IMG_8916.JPG

IMG_8918.JPG

• Like 5

For the cattle fans, we did see some Texas longhorn steers on the way back to the hotel .

This also shows what the country looks like - flat, no trees of any kind, burnt brown and super windy....

IMG_8930.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8932.JPG

• Like 3

Today, Monday, we head 400 miles due south to Marathon, Texas.

As I type right now, at 3.48 AM.  it's 32F / 0C . Hoping for warmer weather as we get farther south. And also hoping for no wind!

More latter ........

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Now that's what I call food!

They don't let you go away hungry there - fuckin' huge assed slabs of meat. Even the baked potato was the biggest I've ever seen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Earache said:

Today, Monday, we head 400 miles due south to Marathon, Texas.

As I type right now, at 3.48 AM.  it's 32F / 0C . Hoping for warmer weather as we get farther south. And also hoping for no wind!

More latter ........

Is somewhere like California a more pleasant place to ride Eric?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Is somewhere like California a more pleasant place to ride Eric?

Much more pleasant. But I' ridden there way too much already.

To be fair, I knew Texas was gonna kinda suck - having been here a few times before. And this cold weather is really unusual for here at thiis time of year. Temps shoiuld be around 80F / 27C. But they aren't. This wind is unusual as well. So it's just our luck.

But I'm on a bike and riding so I shouldn't bitch too much! Home is getting 16" of snow tomorrow.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Earache said:

But I'm on a bike and riding so I shouldn't bitch too much! Home is getting 16" of snow tomorrow.

That's probably more than we get in 10 years, hence why we get all giddy if we see just a couple of snowflakes :classic_wacko:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

That bar looks like a proper 'Howdy pardner'  type place :classic_laugh:

It was and they do all talk like that here. Everyone greets you with "How y'all doin'" here.

• Like 2