What tools do you really NEED to carry?

It’s just dawned on me my reasonably comprehensive bike tool kit is sitting in my panniers here in Spain and I’m not going to be able to take it back with me on the plane unless I pay for checked luggage which I’m not going to do (such a rip off).

Unless I do something I’ll be leaving for France tool-less which isn’t something I can countenance. 

Re-buying stuff I already own doesn’t appeal at all so pump, bulbs and puncture repair aside what’s the minimal stuff you’d tour with?

Zipties, tape, a leatherman kind of thing with pliers, and a couple of whatever your bike uses spanners or torx or whatever. France is not really a desert and you'll be in a group.

You own many bikes in very different locations, so two toolkits isn't that crazy if it's a source of concern.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

An excellent suggestion. I have one in my touring kitchen bag but they always seem to go missing, can’t think why 🤪

I carry two with me on my jacket, a tiny tiny leatherman for it´s mini pliers to fish out earplus when they get too pushed in. And a standard victorinox because you always need a blade and a corkscrew.

• Like 1

I have all the  wrenches and Allen keys in the sizes most common that my bike uses, plus some pliers, emergency belt joint, brake bleeder pipe, cable ties and a few nuts and bolts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I carry two with me on my jacket, a tiny tiny leatherman for it´s mini pliers to fish out earplus when they get too pushed in. And a standard victorinox because you always need a blade and a corkscrew.

I like both of those brands. I’ll have a look at Victorinox first because when I was a child Victorinox was the one we all wanted 😆

Victorinox make some cracking stuff for touring. The teeny nail clippers I have of theirs look like they’ll break in no time but they’re super sharp and have lasted years so far. A midget sized vegetable peeler, occasionally useful if you cook your own dishes but not worth carrying a full size one. 

Anyway I digress. 

I have duct tape, cable ties, metal putty, electrical tape and a tiny tube of flexible sealant in a bag back in Blighty. 

It’s more the spanner’s/socket set/pliers/Allen keys/wire cutter stuff I was thinking how much should I really carry.

Over here I have the usual plus a 16mm socket, a spare split pin, a split pin remover, spare sidestand spring (a well known fault on the Himalayan) and a spark plug (probably crushed to death by now 😆

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Like a spare split pin but for a belt driven bike?

Is this something that might commonly be needed?

Yes it’s like a split pin type of thing. I carry a brake bleeder which is just a pipe with a one way valve on just because I have had two occasions where it would have been useful.

3 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Yes it’s like a split pin type of thing. I carry a brake bleeder which is just a pipe with a one way valve on just because I have had two occasions where it would have been useful.

Two?! Not keen on that.

Where do I start :classic_laugh:

Tools suitable for both bikes (I have feckall for the Sled).  Tin with various nuts and bolts, solderless nipples. fuses. 

WD40, JB Weld , length of wire and a couple of electrical connectors, chain split link (520 &525) , spare inner tubes , compressor, tyre levers, lift jack.

I've probably missed something , oh ! and a leatherman in my pocket.

• Like 2

I carry a nice little thing with all the things one (probably not me) would need to tighten stuff or work on my bike. But truth be told, if it conks out I'm fucked and stranded.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I carry a nice little thing with all the things one (probably not me) would need to tighten stuff or work on my bike. But truth be told, if it conks out I'm fucked and stranded.

If you’re stranded but have a mobile reception it’s amazing how fast you can learn how to do something via the marvels of you-tube and real world pressure 😆

Plus other motorcyclists will stop and ask you if you need help (at least they do in the UK and in Spain), it’s then embarrassing to have someone competent offering to help but not having the things that are needed to do the job.

That hasn’t happened to me motorcycling but it has on a bicycle, because they’d stopped they felt they should stay until the problem was resolved which it couldn’t be so I wrecked my day and theirs for the sake of an inner tube. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Six30 said:

i got break down cover ..... , or i,ll just get a cab back to van and go and get bike

Episode 1 Dancing GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Do you go far enough to need a cab?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Six30 said:

i got break down cover ..... , or i,ll just get a cab back to van and go and get bike

Episode 1 Dancing GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

If you’re in the same country as your van and don’t mind the time or the spends that’s dandy.

If not waiting for breakdown in another country while the RAC fuck about for hours and hours because the call centre doesn’t speak the lingo means you’d happily have a go. Especially if your breakdown only covers towing you to the nearest workshop (that’s most EU cover that comes with insurance). 

Last time it took the 6 hours to turn up, 6 hours in the blazing sun.

Then the pickup drove Mr Slowly an hour back in the wrong direction and insisted they wanted to put him up in a hotel because a taxi would have been £20 more to get back here. It didn’t happen (because he is good at making people do what he wants when he has to) but breakdown cover really ain’t all that. 

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If you’re in the same country as your van and don’t mind the time or the spends that’s dandy.

If not waiting for breakdown in another country while the RAC fuck about for hours and hours because the call centre doesn’t speak the lingo means you’d happily have a go. Especially if your breakdown only covers towing you to the nearest workshop (that’s most EU cover that comes with insurance). 

Last time it took the 6 hours to turn up, 6 hours in the blazing sun.

Then the pickup drove Mr Slowly an hour back in the wrong direction and insisted they wanted to put him up in a hotel because a taxi would have been £20 more to get back here. It didn’t happen (because he is good at making people do what he wants when he has to) but breakdown cover really ain’t all that. 

Coolstory Cool Story Bro GIF by Hook SEO

Went ahead and ordered duplicates of what I have here, will save a lot of mucking about wondering what bike I left what thing on and a lot of those tools have come in handy so I think I’ll regret thinning it down. 

It should all arrive at home in Blighty on Friday. 

I have some old JB weld. How long does it last?

I personally take everything I think I'll need so long as it doesn't eat too much space up.

Generally a socket set, a load of spanners, screwdrivers, pliers, tyre repair kit, couple of lengths of wire and some crimp connectors, spare fuses and my rac card if all else fails

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Went ahead and ordered duplicates of what I have here, will save a lot of mucking about wondering what bike I left what thing on and a lot of those tools have come in handy so I think I’ll regret thinning it down. 

It should all arrive at home in Blighty on Friday. 

I have some old JB weld. How long does it last?

I still occasionally look for a wrench or something only to remember that it is in America.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I still occasionally look for a wrench or something only to remember that it is in America.

Did you use a metric or imperial adjustable spanner over there?

• Haha 1