Helmet sounds

Saul

I know twatish title but I do have a serious question about getting some sounds piped into my full face lid.   I regularly listen to a podcast or some music on my commute to work but now I have switched to two wheels not so much.  Just wondering what I can do to listen to the same while riding.    I have some ear pods but they are a faff to use.  I have seen that you can get a bluetooth set of speakers to fit in the helmet.  Has anyone done this or have some experience to share before I spend money on the wrong thing.  

9 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The Enfield sounds that bad then? :classic_laugh:

It sounds like the sort of thing @Slowlycatchymonkey may have looked at!

It came to mind on Tuesday as I had a shift in Stratton Hospital near Bude, I was going to take the bike, but given the colour of the sky and that fact that it is a 1.25 hour trip I took my van.  It turned out to be a wise decision as it the sky turned black with torrential rain and gail force winds, not really biking weather.   And to top it off I got the the Hospital to start my shift only to find I had no clinician for the shift so got sent home.  Bit of a bind but I didn't moan as I got my 12 hours pay for driving to Bude and back, I was home in bed by 10 pm.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saul said:

I know twatish title but I do have a serious question about getting some sounds piped into my full face lid.   I regularly listen to a podcast or some music on my commute to work but now I have switched to two wheels not so much.  Just wondering what I can do to listen to the same while riding.    I have some ear pods but they are a faff to use.  I have seen that you can get a bluetooth set of speakers to fit in the helmet.  Has anyone done this or have some experience to share before I spend money on the wrong thing.  

I have two Sena's. One thats the integrated system in the Shoei Neotec II and a later edition using their much lauded 'Mesh' technology (the 20S and the 50S)

The reviewers said they were the best. I'm not impressed with either. Costly, glitchy, difficult to update, dodgy connectivity and ultimately bad for your hearing health. Wish I hadn't wasted the money. The integrated system in the Neotec adds weight to the helmet and is another bloody thing to keep charged. 

I would for the sake of protecting your hearing not bother with any helmet system. You are left either not wearing ear plugs or turning the volume up to max to get to an audible level. Neither of those solutions is going to do your hearing any favours. 

The safest and most reliable source of sound are moulded earplugs with speakers integrated in them. This blocks damaging engine and wind noise and allows you to keep the volume down whilst it still being crystal clear. That also saves draining your phone battery.

Moulded plugs take a bit of getting used to and are more faff than an in the lid system but no charging needed and what price your hearing?

If you go for the custom plugs (they are not cheap) then make them note you want them cut down as low as possible, this will help with adjusting to having solid moulded plugs in your ears.

I've used two different companies for these types of ear plugs. One was shite the other good. If you want links let me know and Ill try and find out which one was which!

If your feeling determined to go down the in the lid route I'd have a look at amazon reviews as there are much much cheaper alternatives that people rave about. Cardo is a popular alternative to Sena but still pricey. Having had my fingers burnt I wouldnt go down that road again. 

• Like 2

I think it'll sound very disappointing to listen to speech on a helmet, music might be ok but honestly for speech you'll find yourself having to actively concentrate on what you're listening to properly understand it. Then, at motorway speeds it´ll become a blurred mess unless you have either a very clean wind on a naked bike or a big screen like on a touring one.

I use Sena's aftermarket kit for Schuberth, and still use earplugs for protection and comfort. In my opinion plugs help reduce the noise and the nasty sound of helmet speakers, the sounds come through a little cleaner even though obviously less loud. On country roads the speakers on full power would be too loud inside the helmet, with plugs in it's right the loudness I want.

On country roads that's ok and great, on the motorway it's shit unless I put the original big screen on, which I don't.

Thanks to both of you thats the real world sort of advice I was looking for. It was more of a random thought as I get plenty of time at work for that sort of thing anyway.  Couple of my clinicians don't mind me streaming my music to the car system when we are out.   I will give it a miss as I am not looking at crossing continents, my average commute is about 45 mins, shortest about 20 mins and longest 75 mins. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Saul said:

Thanks to both of you thats the real world sort of advice I was looking for. It was more of a random thought as I get plenty of time at work for that sort of thing anyway.  Couple of my clinicians don't mind me streaming my music to the car system when we are out.   I will give it a miss as I am not looking at crossing continents, my average commute is about 45 mins, shortest about 20 mins and longest 75 mins. 

Put it on your Christmas list and see what Santa brings 😆

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Put it on your Christmas list and see what Santa brings 😆

I will be happy if Santa helps me keep the bleddy lights on.  🙄      I am angling for a some warmer gloves and maybe a leccy vesty thing.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Saul said:

I got my system because I used to do 300km on the motorway on friday afternoons and I'd miss out on work calls, seemed like I spent the week chasing clients and all of them would decide to place orders as soon as I got on the bike and headed home, even though I had to slow way down on the motorway to be able to even exchange a few sentences it made all the difference.

Then one day I put music through it, and now I couldn't imagine going on a long ride without it. It does get addictive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

I got my system because I used to do 300km on the motorway on friday afternoons and I'd miss out on work calls, seemed like I spent the week chasing clients and all of them would decide to place orders as soon as I got on the bike and headed home, even though I had to slow way down on the motorway to be able to even exchange a few sentences it made all the difference.

Then one day I put music through it, and now I couldn't imagine going on a long ride without it. It does get addictive.

Does the potential hearing damage not concern you?

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Does the potential hearing damage not concern you?

I never stopped using earplugs, it does quieten down the level of music but also filters out a lot of the noise. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

I never stopped using earplugs, it does quieten down the level of music but also filters out a lot of the noise. 

You must have to also turn the volume up to compensate though? Although I seem to vaguely remember Sena have peak noise protection?

The type of plug you use makes a huge difference to how protected you are. The noise reduction rating varies wildly. Aiming for 30 decibels is the safest bet, most cheap plug struggle to achieve 15.

Me and the misses have Nolan helmet with their system integrated in. Yes it adds weight but not enough to say I’ve noticed. I wear ear plugs Mandi doesn’t and I can still hear her easily with out having to have the volume flat out.

Tricky bugga to set up but once paired both have been good. Mandi always said the old senas we had before were a little clearer but I didn’t notice any drop in clarity.

I’ve since got a new helmet with their newer system and it’s been a bitch to pair with our old helmets but have managed through a different angle, not intercom route.

All of the above connects to phone, sat nav and each of our helmets.

Never tried music myself but Mandi has when out by herself via her phone.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You must have to also turn the volume up to compensate though? Although I seem to vaguely remember Sena have peak noise protection?

The type of plug you use makes a huge difference to how protected you are. The noise reduction rating varies wildly. Aiming for 30 decibels is the safest bet, most cheap plug struggle to achieve 15.

I have it at maximum when going at over 100kmh, with the plugs on. Without the plugs that's way too loud. I have no limits set, so it goes at full volume.

I have tried an assortment of plugs over time, silicone ones with filter were nice because they lasted a while and you could easily wash them but they would often not seal correctly and were quite annoying to then fix over and over since I'd only notice at starting the engine, then went to foam ones because they isolate the best, and tried custom made ones. The custom ones were made in a place that makes hearing aids, and were complete shit, they simply fall off, I think they might have switched moulds with other client, they're crap and I cried over that money.

So went back to foam ones, they're the comfiest over long rides and the most reliable, I buy these from Ohropax and am quite happy with it. I also carry a mini weatherman on my jacket, and use the small pliers to fish them out if they slide in too far :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I have it at maximum when going at over 100kmh, with the plugs on. Without the plugs that's way too loud. I have no limits set, so it goes at full volume.

I have tried an assortment of plugs over time, silicone ones with filter were nice because they lasted a while and you could easily wash them but they would often not seal correctly and were quite annoying to then fix over and over since I'd only notice at starting the engine, then went to foam ones because they isolate the best, and tried custom made ones. The custom ones were made in a place that makes hearing aids, and were complete shit, they simply fall off, I think they might have switched moulds with other client, they're crap and I cried over that money.

So went back to foam ones, they're the comfiest over long rides and the most reliable, I buy these from Ohropax and am quite happy with it. I also carry a mini weatherman on my jacket, and use the small pliers to fish them out if they slide in too far :classic_laugh:

My custom ones from a hearing aid place were also crap! Good fit but awful material. Seal easily breaks. My favourite plain plugs have changeable filters, motorcycling, solid or shooting. 
But the custom moulded speaker plugs take the lead by a mile. 

Those plugs you linked look good 👍

Glad you’re taking care of your hearing. 

6 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Music while riding... a tad on the gay side gay,

i like to listen the the roar of an aftermarket exhaust.

They do aftermarket exhausts for the van? Hmmm how gaygay GIF

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Music while riding... a tad on the gay side gay,

i like to listen the the roar of an aftermarket exhaust.

Yes, broadway show tunes, I stopped listening to them because all the tapdancing was making me wonder about my valves :classic_tongue:

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, busabeast said:

They do aftermarket exhausts for the van? Hmmm how gaygay GIF

any way aint you got prostitutes you should be hammering to death

• Haha 2

I buy these by the hundred pairs. Been using them every ride since about 1990 when I got sick of still hearing 'engine' for hours after a long trip.

I was once the only person to sleep at a camp site when a baby screamed shrilly all night. I was using my bike jacket as a pillow so I could get the ear plugs out of the case on my key ring straight away. They also stopped me murdering my son when he was crying for hours as a baby, they just take the edge off of it.

I recently bought a Sena 10s wossname and I have been able to take phone calls up to 70mph with ear plugs in and with it set at max volume. I know what they are saying, but not always who they are just by recognising the voice, they seem to hear me okay as well. On the odd occasion I ride around town with no ear plugs I have to remember to turn the volume down or my head would explode if someone rang.

image.png.b8beeb7e4791014c45264c985beb8315.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, yen_powell said:

I buy these by the hundred pairs. Been using them every ride since about 1990 when I got sick of still hearing 'engine' for hours after a long trip.

I was once the only person to sleep at a camp site when a baby screamed shrilly all night. I was using my bike jacket as a pillow so I could get the ear plugs out of the case on my key ring straight away. They also stopped me murdering my son when he was crying for hours as a baby, they just take the edge off of it.

I recently bought a Sena 10s wossname and I have been able to take phone calls up to 70mph with ear plugs in and with it set at max volume. I know what they are saying, but not always who they are just by recognising the voice, they seem to hear me okay as well. On the odd occasion I ride around town with no ear plugs I have to remember to turn the volume down or my head would explode if someone rang.

image.png.b8beeb7e4791014c45264c985beb8315.png

I used to borrow (pinch) a handful of ear plugs from each of the factories I delivered to, fat lot of good they did me. 😂 

• Haha 3