Not loving my new bike

GentlyBentley

I may have recently made an expensive mistake. I took a Yamaha XSR700 for a test ride after the demise of my old classic 750 made me feel the need for a reliable bike that will last. On the test ride it put a smile on my face, it had more power and poke than my old classic and had the advantage of new tech and the promise of reliability. I made the decision straight after the test ride to buy it and it was ready for collection inside a week. So it all happened really quickly. But three weeks in and I’m not so keen.

Being used to classics I thought the modern retro take might grow on me…but it hasn’t. I find the suspension very jarring - every bump and road seam goes right through my spine making most rides quite uncomfortable - apparently all modern bikes have firmer suspension (is that true?). Also, a very strange thing, despite the kerb weight being a full 60kg lighter than my old classic, the new bike feels heavy, lumpy and awkward. Riding it seems to have sapped my riding confidence too. Very odd and difficult to describe exactly. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with the bike, I’m just not gelling with it.

Now, because I bought it new I’m obviously going to lose money whatever I do (and yes I only have myself to blame). I’d like to trade it in for something smaller, lighter and softer. It’s just a few weeks old, has done fewer than 800 miles so what’s the best way forward? Sell it back to the dealer for (a lot less) cash or trade it in for a new but cheaper bike I have my eye on at another dealer (they do up or down trade with cash adjustment either way if needed). Advice gratefully received.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I'm assuming you have tried adjustment of the suspension. 

Thanks. I'm going to speak to the dealer about that when I take it in for its first service this week. It requires the bike being on a m/c lift to do it properly and I don't own one (there's no centre stand on this model). Also I want to describe the way it feels and get their advice on the suspension issue...but that isn't the whole story anyway it's the full package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GentlyBentley said:

I may have recently made an expensive mistake. I took a Yamaha XSR700 for a test ride after the demise of my old classic 750 made me feel the need for a reliable bike that will last. On the test ride it put a smile on my face, it had more power and poke than my old classic and had the advantage of new tech and the promise of reliability. I made the decision straight after the test ride to buy it and it was ready for collection inside a week. So it all happened really quickly. But three weeks in and I’m not so keen.

Being used to classics I thought the modern retro take might grow on me…but it hasn’t. I find the suspension very jarring - every bump and road seam goes right through my spine making most rides quite uncomfortable - apparently all modern bikes have firmer suspension (is that true?). Also, a very strange thing, despite the kerb weight being a full 60kg lighter than my old classic, the new bike feels heavy, lumpy and awkward. Riding it seems to have sapped my riding confidence too. Very odd and difficult to describe exactly. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with the bike, I’m just not gelling with it.

Now, because I bought it new I’m obviously going to lose money whatever I do (and yes I only have myself to blame). I’d like to trade it in for something smaller, lighter and softer. It’s just a few weeks old, has done fewer than 800 miles so what’s the best way forward? Sell it back to the dealer for (a lot less) cash or trade it in for a new but cheaper bike I have my eye on at another dealer (they do up or down trade with cash adjustment either way if needed). Advice gratefully received.

Sometimes you just know that a bike is not a good fit for you.

In cases like that it's got to go. I had a similar experience with a TDM900 about 20 years ago. Nothing wrong with the bike, it was just not a good match for me.

What alternatives did you have in mind? And what sort of riding do you do? Shorter runs or touring?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

What alternatives did you have in mind? And what sort of riding do you do? Shorter runs or touring?

Thanks. To be honest I'm true to my name here; I no longer shoot around at top speed, Most of the time I'm happy cruising at 50-60mph, just going on day trips, sometimes exploring a bit further afield but avoiding motorways where possible. I'm considering going down to something like the Royal Enfield Classic 350. I only got the XSR because I suddenly realised it was going to replace my old classic as my only bike and I felt like it should be a "do-it-all" bike and be future proof. But it's a waste of all that power (a lot by my standards) if I'm just going to bimble along the country lanes in a sedate manner. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GentlyBentley said:

Thanks. To be honest I'm true to my name here; I no longer shoot around at top speed, Most of the time I'm happy cruising at 50-60mph, just going on day trips, sometimes exploring a bit further afield but avoiding motorways where possible. I'm considering going down to something like the Royal Enfield Classic 350. I only got the XSR because I suddenly realised it was going to replace my old classic as my only bike and I felt like it should be a "do-it-all" bike and be future proof. But it's a waste of all that power (a lot by my standards) if I'm just going to bimble along the country lanes in a sedate manner. 

@Slowlycatchymonkey, @Skippy, and @Grasshopper's Ride can tell you about RE's.......they're not my sort of thing.

I know I'm a bit biased but you should take a look at a Honda CB500X.

I went down in size to get one and I find it great! 80+ mpg!

cb22.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, XTreme said:

@Slowlycatchymonkey, @Skippy, and @Grasshopper's Ride can tell you about RE's.......they're not my sort of thing.

cb22.jpg

Good call , sounds like a good choice for the OP

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Good call , sounds like a good choice for the OP

Thanks. Yes those Honda 500s have great engines to be sure. I rode the 500F and was impressed with its perkiness. But for me, part of the equation is looks and soul. I may be overly sentimental (no maybe about it actually) but I want a bike I can love. I thought that was the XSR but I was wrong. The Hondas, although undeniably good bikes, just don't move me like a classic does.

Thanks. Yes those Honda 500s have great engines to be sure. I rode the 500F and was impressed with its perkiness. But for me, part of the equation is looks and soul. I may be overly sentimental (no maybe about it actually) but I want a bike I can love. I thought that was the XSR but I was wrong. The Hondas, although undeniably good bikes, just don't move me like a classic does.

What classic have you got?

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

What classic have you got?

Well at the moment it's in bits in my garage as it has broken piston rings and (apparently) excessive wear here, there and everywhere. But it's a 1979 Suzuki GS750. It's big, heavy and was off the road more often than on, with something new going wrong with it right when I wanted to ride. But it was cool and attracted attention wherever it was parked.

IMG_0646.JPG

• Like 6

I don’t know about the Classic 350. I have the Himalayan and its definitely a sight seeing bike with softish suspension. You’d really have to make sure you’re happy with 20 bhp. I was shocked when I first rode it and thought - its a moped shaped like a motorbike 24.5bhp’s going to be boring but I was wrong. Its an excellent sight seeing bike it just chugs along and goes exactly where you point it leaving you free to look at the scenery. Mr Slowly has a RE continental GT and for whatever reason (slightly lighter and 5bhp more) its much faster.

The RE are cheap and that translates into them using cheap parts that dont last as long as you’d expect so if you can accept that and are prepared to do the work/pay a garage then thats dandy. The service interval on the Himalayan is 3000 miles which I think is ridiculous.

I thought such an underpowered bike would be awful but I really miss it when its not here, to the extent I’ve put my name down for the new BSA Goldstar, that has a bit more power and the build quality looks better (famous last words), maybe given what you’ve said about looks it might suit you too.

I always liked the look of the Kawasaki W800 too.

You know what you don’t want and what you’re looking for now so perhaps some test rides and time to cogitate is in order. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You know what you don’t want and what you’re looking for now so perhaps some test rides and time to cogitate is in order. 

Thanks, that was a really thoughtful response with lots of useful insights. I'm going to chat to the dealer when I take the bike in for its first service. It won't hurt to sound them out about my options.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GentlyBentley said:

Thanks, that was a really thoughtful response with lots of useful insights. I'm going to chat to the dealer when I take the bike in for its first service. It won't hurt to sound them out about my options.

No worries. Sounds like a plan.

You’ve already lost however much just by riding it out of the showroom (I wouldnt beat yourself up about that, we all make mistakes and this one is easily rectified) my point being you dont have to rush into anything and can take the time to find something that makes those heart strings sing.

I’m told the used vehicle market is buoyant at the moment so thats in your favour 👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

In cases like that it's got to go. I had a similar experience with a TDM900 about 20 years ago. Nothing wrong with the bike, it was just not a good match for me.

yes i made the same mistake with a zephyr 550 , i took it to southport came home and put it up for sale , it rode like a gyroscope 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Wheres this quiz that tells you what sort of rider you are? I reckon I’d come out with a different name depending on what day I did it!

I saw it years ago on Facebook I think. Possibly from the MCN page. Sorry I can't be more help. I only remember it because it amused me that my riding habits afforded me such a title. 

• Like 1

I saw it years ago on Facebook I think. Possibly from the MCN page. Sorry I can't be more help. I only remember it because it amused me that my riding habits afforded me such title. 

A lovely title it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GentlyBentley said:

Well at the moment it's in bits in my garage as it has broken piston rings and (apparently) excessive wear here, there and everywhere. But it's a 1979 Suzuki GS750. It's big, heavy and was off the road more often than on, with something new going wrong with it right when I wanted to ride. But it was cool and attracted attention wherever it was parked.

IMG_0646.JPG

The way we were......1979. Best bike I had in the 70's.......and I had a lot of them!

8.jpg.de93bab2f01c4c5522e8c11443cd4c15.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

cb22.jpg

Having had two Himalayans and not having a single problem with either of them I’d say they’re a great bike. You can potter along, wring it’s neck, take it off road or stick to the twisty tarmac. However, you need to be comfortable with low power and plenty of character. Some owners are unlucky and experience quirks which get in their nerves and they end up selling them.

I don’t know where you’re based in the UK @GentlyBentley but if you’re anywhere near Northampton then a good mate of mine is the RE dealer (CooperB Motorcycles) then you should go and have a chat with him and test ride one of his bikes. He’s got a great reputation in the business and an altogether decent bloke……….tell him Ray Skipp sent you 👍👍

• Like 4

Yep I second the CooperB place. They have a great reputation. Its where my Himalayan originally came from.

A mate of mine as a surprise wanted to get me a fitted sheepskin seat cover, CooperB kindly lent him a Himalayan seat to take and have a pattern made so he could keep it keep it a surprise. They didnt have to, didnt know him and didnt even ask for a deposit to ensure its return. Nice.

• Like 4

What about a Hinckley Triumph Bonneville? Are you looking at a new bike or secondhand? Obviously a new Bonneville will be a bit more than the XSR700, but you may get a decent trade-in. 

Also, what about the new Kawasaki z650rs? Retro styling in a modern package. 

Get plenty of test rides in before making any decision.  😎

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yep I second the CooperB place. They have a great reputation. Its where my Himalayan originally came from.

A mate of mine as a surprise wanted to get me a fitted sheepskin seat cover, CooperB kindly lent him a Himalayan seat to take and have a pattern made so he could keep it keep it a surprise. They didnt have to, didnt know him and didnt even ask for a deposit to ensure its return. Nice.

Top service that’s for sure.

• Like 1