Miss America

boboneleg

• 1 month later...

So this morning I continued going through the bike to correct anything that had happened on my recent trip. All was going well until I took the air filter out and then saw that the 'backfire screen ' was cockeyed . Having had to replace one of these in the past on another DR650 I knew what a ballache it would be to fit it back in. Sure enough an hour later the bike was in bits ............

IMG_5391.thumb.jpeg.7f471267ef85afecd33d0e5549520c1d.jpeg

It's back in now but I bloody hate that job. Anyway, it gave me the excuse to take all the electrical connectors apart and grease them while it was all apart.

IMG_5393.thumb.JPEG.a1a5295baf9979370dfd806ab65d9ae5.JPEG

IMG_5395.JPEG

• Like 7

4 hours ago, boboneleg said:

So this morning I continued going through the bike to correct anything that had happened on my recent trip. All was going well until I took the air filter out and then saw that the 'backfire screen ' was cockeyed . Having had to replace one of these in the past on another DR650 I knew what a ballache it would be to fit it back in. Sure enough an hour later the bike was in bits ............

IMG_5391.thumb.jpeg.7f471267ef85afecd33d0e5549520c1d.jpeg

It's back in now but I bloody hate that job. Anyway, it gave me the excuse to take all the electrical connectors apart and grease them while it was all apart.

IMG_5393.thumb.JPEG.a1a5295baf9979370dfd806ab65d9ae5.JPEG

IMG_5395.JPEG

It just doesn't sound like it should take long!

But then neither does changing a battery on a Himalayan 😆 

22 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It just doesn't sound like it should take long!

But then neither does changing a battery on a Himalayan 😆 

It can be done just with a lot of fiddling to get the screen in from the airbox hose but as on this occasion it doesn't last, I suspect the previous owner had done just that.

To do it properly you need to remove the airbox hose, battery, battery tray, petrol tank, seat , side panels , rear inner mudguard and the electrics so that you can free the airbox enough to do the job properly.

I've never worked on a Himalayan , what's involved in removing the battery ?

3 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

It can be done just with a lot of fiddling to get the screen in from the airbox hose but as on this occasion it doesn't last, I suspect the previous owner had done just that.

To do it properly you need to remove the airbox hose, battery, battery tray, petrol tank, seat , side panels , rear inner mudguard and the electrics so that you can free the airbox enough to do the job properly.

Is it an option to just ditch it altogether Bob

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Is it an option to just ditch it altogether Bob

I'll try and find the photos but I had another DR650 for a while and was horrified when I went to check the air filter.  The foam element had disintergrated and the cage that it sits on had melted .  The backfire screen was not present and I can only assume that was the cause.

edit:  found them.  This is the filter cage ..............

9.thumb.jpeg.c20aa0b5d83107d571368ef58c5906d6.jpeg

and this shit in the carb is the remainder of the disintegrated filter ..........

16.thumb.jpg.c87272f56597010939312a169f3120fb.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.a5cd127ef9b239ec469705e963efbb2f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Jeezus, is this a computer aided design? Or the work of masochists?! 😂 

Battery removal on a Himalayan is nowhere near as bad BUT it looks like all you have to do is remove the side panel and there it is, oh no no no. You will be feckin about trying to move wires and things that are fixed in position for sometime only to discover once they may seem wrestled to reasonable distance that the angle of the battery says NOO 🤣😔

Took an experienced mechanic over 20 minutes before he yielded to my suggestion to remove the seat and go in from the top. 

And even then I didn’t have the Spanish available to explain you need a two long screwdrivers to lever it from behind and pull it from the front at the same time 🤣

It’s just really annoying because it looks straightforward and it’s not, you need a minimum of one decent YouTube tutorial before even looking at the fecker 😄

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

So Miss America has developed a judder in the clutch, I just did an oil change (easiest option first) and the oil smelt pretty cooked so it might be that the plates are fooked.  I'll see if the fresh oil makes any difference next time I ride it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

New boots for Miss America today, feckin tyres are hard work when it’s this cold .

IMG_0560.thumb.jpeg.3ab01ed6cd4c92619a07c31f767ed06a.jpeg

The rear is always the hardest so I used the bead breaker on that 

IMG_0561.thumb.jpeg.833e658276458af127fa72ad79f2518a.jpeg

tyre paste is your friend when mounting the new tyre 

IMG_0562.thumb.jpeg.bcfee7bed171c8d3f058a28029f006e0.jpeg

the fronts are always easier 

IMG_0564.thumb.jpeg.2b7ba88056bc104adaa7f4cef8fcdbfe.jpeg

all done ✔️ I’ll ride it into work tomorrow to check that all is well.

IMG_0563.thumb.jpeg.c44a4762ab54032110d0de4e9dc0256a.jpeg

IMG_0565.thumb.jpeg.1d90fb7f67fe55c9142f4c1141b990b0.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

Just fitted this eat cover, it needed a bit of adjustment but well chuffed with it .

IMG_0568.thumb.JPG.8462e02721fcd721357cc51b20c602e5.JPG

I would wait until it’s warm. Mine eventually went a little flat and doesn’t provide the same airflow as before, if any.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I would wait until it’s warm. Mine eventually went a little flat and doesn’t provide the same airflow as before, if any.

you are not going to eat it are you 

• Haha 4