How to lift a fallen motorcycle

Pedro

Some time ago, I said I would post a video of me lifting my bike off the floor, and I just remembered that and filmed it on the spot. I didn't take into account my very dusty slippery garage floor and me wearing sandals almost slipped and dropped it, but on account of authenticity here is the unadulterated video:

Wear proper shoes and it's not a problem. 

• Like 5

Just now, XTreme said:

Excellent Pedro! I see a lot of people with their back to GS's and then pulling up with two hands?

I don't know what that's all about. If you want to lift any other big object off the floor you will pick it up on the point the farthest away from the hinge with the floor to get the most leverage, why not with a motorcycle? It might help to put the bike in gear, though, I didn't.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Know you lifted it pedro but how you done it is the quickest way to hurt your back, need to get your arse against the seat and use your legs.

Valid point!

And I'm not sure you'll be lifting it like that when you're in your 60's @Pedro!

I think we need to get the authoritative view from someone who's very experienced at picking up fallen bikes..... @Mawsley.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

I think I'd be more inclined to go for Jocelin Snow's method.......she does pretty good for a 5ft 2inch girl!

I can't lift my bike like that, it just slides. But then again, it's easier to do that in a rooted soft ground than slippery porcelain tiles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

I somehow don't think they'll be using that in any Heath & Safety videos Pedro   :classic_laugh:

Is it the flip flops? I wasn´t riding, I remembered to do the video a few times but I won't put my bike down with an engine full of hot oil on purpose, so this is the only time I remembered to do it :classic_laugh:

@XTreme, try and do the Jocellin thing with your knees, my right knee is shot too...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pedro said:

@XTreme, try and do the Jocellin thing with your knees, my right knee is shot too...

My knees are OK with squat or leg press techniques because it's not flexing from side to side.

As long as there's no sideways movement (like a slalom in skiing) then I'm OK.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, XTreme said:

My knees are OK with squat or leg press techniques because it's not flexing from side to side.

As long as there's no sideways movement (like a slalom in skiing) then I'm OK.

Mine, mostly the right one, has a leak on some sort of joint, and doesn't like pressure when applied from very compressed all the way through to extended, it'll bite half way through and hurt like a fucker. From half or a little less there's no problem.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

Is it the flip flops? I wasn´t riding, I remembered to do the video a few times but I won't put my bike down with an engine full of hot oil on purpose, so this is the only time I remembered to do it :classic_laugh:

Got to 1.30 and he'd still lifted nothing.

• Haha 4